Thailand’s once mighty foreign tourism industry lastingly damaged with lower spends and numbers

webfact

6 minutes ago, peter zwart said:

People come people go and new ones will arrive

Right the higher spending tourists are going and the lower spending tourists are coming. In Pattaya section news said domestic tourists/foreign tourists is about 10/1.   Like I've said before July, August used to be a mini high season along the beach for Europeans. With the so called improvement projects there like the glorified road that is supposed to pass for a promenade that is full of motorbike riders . As well as cafes replaced with fast food - they have lost that

visitor demographic. There is not an endless supply of first time visitors (especially these days) to make up for the loses in returning visitors.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wombat said:

Curious wants to know what the correlation between the Frogs and LOS is?

France is consistently one of the highest visitor countries, maybe even number one IIRC, so I guess they are comparing the relative recovery of two “heavyweights” on the global tourism scene. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Bangkok seems to be mostly Arabs walking the malls and going for medical tourism.

Big influx of Indian males in Pattaya walking around, getting massages hitting on girls on Beach Road.

That is the majority of tourists I have seen can't remember the last time I saw a western family here on holiday. School has started now they won't be coming anyway.

The Chinese will change the numbers significantly when they start coming, but a world wide recession could kill any large recovery until 2024.

Some major cities in China are currently on Covid19 lockdown. I gues that the chinese vaccines were no good and they should not be allowed to travel abroad, before getting vaccinated with a better vaccine! 

• Like 1

The Thai Tourist board keep talking about wanting more   quality tourists  more Families ect

Wanting to come and experience what Thailand has to offer

Gone are the old days 80s -90s when it was mainly   single guys coming to enjoy the bars and girls I am referring mainly to Pattaya here 

I would guess these days are gone now with what's happening around the world economic woes ect 

Expensive flights cost of living up its going to take time 

2 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

It also makes Thailand look kind of retarded. Do they think there's some large percent of the population around the world that's going to spend their last $1000 on plane ticket to Thailand and arrive with literally zero dollars in the bank? They must think they're pretty clever by putting an end to this scam which totally was going to happen if not for that visa requirement. 

There are many examples of people from 3rd world countries, who arrive on a plane without any money, as they are planning to work illegally in the destination country, for as long as the visa allows them to. After that they may continue to work illegally on overstay. Look no further than Chantaburi, where hundreds of africans are working in the gemstone business. A business which happens to be exempted from personal income tax and VAT payment in Thailand, in case you have ever wondered, why there are so many foreigners working in this business. Some of them most likely have staffs working here illegally on tourist visa's. You will probably be able to find other seasonal business here, that need workers for a shorter period of time, and happily employ people on tourist visas.

• Confused 1

The government and it's agencies are such a mess.

The people who are running the show have no idea how to attract tourists.

Anutin's asinine ideas of just "increase" prices at hotels and supporting dual pricing at hospitals is just another example of government idiocy.

Thanks for making travel for expats cheaper by collapsing the tourism industry. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mania said:

ANA & United have some good deals going.

Also not sure if true as we couldn't wait to book but some say airfares always drop after Labor day in the US

Will see as that is Monday

You're kidding? The prices on United from YYZ to BKK round trip use to be CAD$1000 to $1300. Now the cheapest is CAD$2997. See attached.

UnitedFlights.docx

• Haha 1

“On Tuesday, executives at the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) talked up the possibility of targeting wealthy Indian families to come to Thailand to celebrate wedding events…” ????????????

As they say in Texas, ”All hat and no cattle”…..All talk and no do.

Edited by DBath
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Not to worry, Indian trillionnaires to save the day! 1 million of them expected to arrive on Dec. 31st, on 99 chartered airplanes...

Both Indian millionaires will arrive in their private jets. The rest will follow in the style of Indian railways.

https://www.businessinsider.com/indias-trains-are-insanely-crowded-2016-2#indian-railways-is-one-of-the-worlds-largest-employers-with-14-million-on-staff-2

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, connda said:

European's disposable income will be going toward paying for enough energy to heat their homes this winter, so don't expect to see many except for the much touted "rich, well-heeled" farangs who collectively will do little for the average Thai engaged in the tourist industry.  Energy prices in the West will finish what Covid started.  Better shift the focus of tourism toward Eurasia, Middle East, and Global South.

But this should open up opportunities for Thai tourism. It could be cheaper for retirees to spend their winter in Thailand than back home in Europe.

On a separate point, the reason France is faring better than Thailand is down to geography, with the country easily reachable from the whole of Europe and attracts long-stayers, weekenders and day-trippers alike.

Thailand's neighbours are more likely to hop over for a short time (and you can interpret that whatever way you want????).

Thailand's tourism industry will remain in the doldrums until the Chinese and, to a lesser extent, the Russians return. Even then I can't see it exactly flourishing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

If Thailand seriously wanted more tourists they could start offering discounted rooms more, sub the national carrier to drop flight costs, try to get the baht weaker, 

Yeah let's cut earnings from those who have been mostly affected in the past 2.5 years (hotels, air transport). They're are already heavily discounted, I live in Thailand and when I go to Bangkok there are many great hotel choices for the cheapest price they've ever been. Even under 1000b you can find some quite decent places.

The baht has been the weakest since I've been coming here (2010).

I can blame 10 other things for lack of tourists but not the baht or the hotels.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1