Brit 'dumped' in Thailand after his flight home is cancelled

webfact

2 hours ago, OnTheLash said:

Not sure if Scoot are even flying that route anymore. I looked a while back and there were no available flights.

Booking through a third party can be a problem in situations like this.

It doesn't always pay to go for the cheapest flight.

I use Skyscanner to see what is available and then go straight to the Airline.

In my opinion the best 2 options for Bangkok are EVA and Thai direct, booked through the airline. Less can go wrong.

Emirates or Qatar not bad options as well. 

I understand they no longer fly this route. 

3 hours ago, Letseng said:

Nothing to do with Scoot. He bought from lastminute.com. Never buy through an agent.

It was a scheduled flight of Scoot, a subsidiary company of Singapore airlines. Why does the flight cancellation have nothing to do with Scoot?

His flight is not til the 11th of this month, surely the company will offer an alternative flight / refund, or route back, they / he still has a few days to sort. I wouldnt be panicking yet.

My only experience with a cancelled flight was with British airways ( i had an emergency in Thailand and it was the only ticket available at short notice) I paid £1,200 for an economy ticket, went to the airport to be told the flight was fully booked. Anyway i received about 500 euro compensation in the form a credit card and an alternative flight the same day to Austria and then connection to Bangkok. To be fair i had to propose this option as BA  officially moved me onto their next flight 24 hr later.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Usually airline has to provide another flight, or you find an alternate flight and charge them. That maybe just EU airlines so need to check

Problem comes when you book through a 3rd party. 3rd party has to get the new flight.

• Like 1

If this is a problem worth being news, people do not have many problems in life. 

Buy tickets with credit card with insurane, or through respective and respected agents or airlines and you will never have any problems like this. Or just have a valid travel insurance that covers incidents like this. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, steven100 said:
2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Scot were offering extremely low fares to the U.K , 4000 Baht from Thailand

I've never heard of Scot Airlines  ....   where are they from  ?

Scoot Airlines (Singapore Airlines budget carrier)...   Or were you trying to be a wisea$$ ?

6 minutes ago, Hummin said:

If this is a problem worth being news, people do not have many problems in life. 

Buy tickets with credit card with insurane, or through respective and respected agents or airlines and you will never have any problems like this. Or just have a valid travel insurance that covers incidents like this. 

Wrong...     It took Qatar Airlines over 5 months to return £1800 I’d paid for a flight they cancelled. 

I’m still fighting with Turkish over compensation for a denied boarding claim. 

Qatar are refusing any compensation for a 7 hour change in schedule of a connecting flight, I was not even notified of the change which they’d made two days before hand. 

Emirates had a major delay which impacted my arrival at destination by over 36 hours. 

Saying you will ‘never have problems’ just because you pay with a credit card is utter tosh... 

IF you fly a lot at the moment, there is a possibility you will face issue...  such as cancelled flights, massive delays, denied boarding due to over booking (fewer flights, more of them full to the brim), then there are all the baggage issues... 

And.. what will travel insurance give him ????  a refund on his costs.. 

It will not allow him to book a more expensive fight because his existing flight was cancelled, it just guarantees him refund if the airline refuses. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

<snip>

But to cancel a flight completely and not offer a solution is outrageous. 

You might like to read my previous post.

That's the risk you take when you take a point to point LCC.

They have no alternative solution to offer other than give you your money back.

No interline agreement, means no other options. 

Just be aware of that and if you're OK with the risk go for it

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The airlines are getting away with a lot of poor service at the moment....  

In the past couple of months I’ve had:

- Qatar Airways - in Doha: connecting flight delayed by 7 hours (meaning a 9 hr layover).

- Turkish - in Istanbul: Denied boarding (connecting flight full) travel delayed by 24 hrs

- Emirates - in UK: 9 hour delay, missed connection, +36 hrs delay to Thailand arrival (EUR 600 compensation is apparently coming).

Many of these issues are perhaps unavoidable - the issue is the poor communication from the airlines.

Emirates were ok. Qatar and Turkish hideous. 

But to cancel a flight completely and not offer a solution is outrageous. 

Is it airport problem or a airline problem? Most cases with delays after covid, have mostly been airport problems with low capacity as far I know. 

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Scoot Airlines (Singapore Airlines budget carrier)...   Or were you trying to be a wisea$$ ?

yes,  I used them a few years back several times from DMK-OOL direct  ( Cooloongatta : GC Aust )

They were ok ....   just another budget job. 

image.jpeg

You do have my slight sympathies , not my full sympathies though .

I had a return flight back to the U.K and China Air just cancelled my flight back to the U.K and cancelled the route entirely  .

Then Thailand closed all public transport down and I was unable to get to Bangkok for another flight (at my own expense) to fly home .

Then the U.K imposed entry restrictions into the U.K where I had to spend 10 days in hotel quarantine at a cost of 2500 Quid  .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Wrong...     It took Qatar Airlines over 5 months to return £1800 I’d paid for a flight they cancelled. 

I’m still fighting with Turkish over compensation for a denied boarding claim. 

Qatar are refusing any compensation for a 7 hour change in schedule of a connecting flight, I was not even notified of the change which they’d made two days before hand. 

Emirates had a major delay which impacted my arrival at destination by over 36 hours. 

Saying you will ‘never have problems’ just because you pay with a credit card is utter tosh... 

IF you fly a lot at the moment, there is a possibility you will face issue...  such as cancelled flights, massive delays, denied boarding due to over booking (fewer flights, more of them full to the brim), then there are all the baggage issues... 

And.. what will travel insurance give him ????  a refund on his costs.. 

It will not allow him to book a more expensive fight because his existing flight was cancelled, it just guarantees him refund if the airline refuses. 

Sorry, I travelled alot in my life, and never had any problems with any airline, or insurance company. 

I understand there are problems when Airlines deny responsibility out of numerous reasons, and my insurance company have always worked out things for me if there was any. 

However I mostly fly on full flex tickets, use my Visa card to pay, and have decent yearly travel insurance to back me up.