What is it with Thais and Hospitals?

bob smith

1 hour ago, Farmerslife said:

Both hospitals and clinics are run as businesses primarily and their objective is make a profit. Hence the ubiquitous use of drips and the over prescription of antibiotics. It all generates income.

So a government hospitals, and clinics objective is to make money????? Yer havin a larf.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Social security covers the bill at the persons nominated hospital.

Social security does not cover the bill at a clinic.

Definition of a clinic please. Definition of a persons nominated hospital please. Definition of social security please.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1

Well for me it’s pretty straight forward. Most health policies do not cover outpatient treatment or clinics. So it’s cheaper and better to see your doctor late in the day have them run tests and stay the night and run more tests in the morning. If everything is clear get discharged and your insurance will pick up the bill. If not you’re in good hands(hopefully) I’d do the same thing. No reason to be paying for insurance if you’re not going to get the benefits. Obviously everyone has their own opinions as to why and when to go, but it’s not really any of your concern. So let them be. 

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Definition of a clinic please. Definition of a persons nominated hospital please. Definition of social security please.

You don't know the difference between a clinic ?

Wow.

Here is a link to Thailand Social Security, it will answer you remaining questions.

https://www.sso.go.th/wpr/eng/benefit.html

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

You don't know the difference between a clinic ?

Wow.

And you do know the difference between a clinic and what?

Your link doesn't work.   

Content is not available

No information found in the system.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Ignorance feeds dependence on others and their knowledge. 

I think this can be applied to most of the above post. 

Thais go to the hospital because it's the only place they can use their government medical policy and in the case of my wife and son, who have private insurance, inpatient care is covered, out patient care and prescriptions are not.

Edited by AgMech Cowboy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

The very cheap Thai health system is based around the hospitals.

In most western countries people would visit their local doctor's clinic for minor ailments. Here, that's incorporated into the hospitals.  The fear of Covid probably causes bigger crowds in waiting rooms these days.

From my observations the few clinics seem to be more about follow-up treatment such as changing bandages or checking blood sugar levels.

Nailed it!! Thanks, Old Croc! (mostly, IMHO)

16 hours ago, bob smith said:

why do thai people seem to check into a hospital for even a cough or a sneeze? why do they send their kids for the slightest ailment to stay in a hospital ward complete with drip and breathing apparatus.

when I was a kid i can count on one hand the amount of times I visited a hospital.

here it's like a family day out, oh i've got a cough lets go to the hospital.

can anyone shed some light on this matter? is it cultural? 

Yes, it´s cultural. It´s their way of taking care of themselves.