In Your Opinion: What's the best place for living in Thailand?

The mountains.  The quiet life.  Peacefulness.  Away from the falangs.  Night markets with the monks, pick strawberries after going to the temple, feeding the soi dogs.  

Says nobody who is honest, as they all know why they came to LOS in the first place.

Pattaya!!!!!!      I've been here for 20 years and not once talked to a prostitute!!!!  says nobody who is honest.

It's the super crazy ones who are alone for 100's of days at a time and convince themselves it's better than being around people.   Pattaya has it all!!!!!  

Just remember, when you go to Chiang Mai and drink Herbal tea, tell everyone why you hate Pattaya and would never be that kind of tourist.  They will never know you live there.  Best of both worlds!!!!  

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

Away from the falangs

Now, this would be some place special. 

Thailand has been my home for over 20 years but sadly, I'm seeing more and more strange foreigners. 

Sure Thailand has always had the occasionally freaky foreigner but it just seems there are too many now. 

It's getting to a point where I'm avoiding all foreigners wherever I go. 

13 hours ago, 2009 said:

It wasn't that long ago On Nut was the end of the BTS line and there was nothing there but Tesco, the market across the road, and plenty of cheap little fan rooms where all the Sukhumvit workers lived.

What's it like now? Surely, must be better?

IMO Bkk never gets better, only more crowded.

It was IMO as good as it gets back in 1996. Since then it's been on a long slow decline.

12 hours ago, NativeBob said:

Hm, I used to visit a factory over there [long ago] and that was a <deleted>hole, later went there few times, last time it was few years ago. IMO Onnut (from start till Sukhumvit) is pretty sh**ty area to live. Yet, few friends are living there and like it! Figures...

Nonthaburi is nice and way more affordable than Bangkok Metro, cleaner and more quite. But I'd stick to Saphan Kuay area: Chatuchak and fun night district. Love it! 

Also, there're plenty of ways to get to Chonburi over weekend, go nuts and return to BKK saying "what happened in Pattaya stays in Pattaya". Very convenient.

Only reason I ever stopped at Onnut was on the bus from Pattaya. Connected to the skytrain and a quicker trip in the city.

Nothing worth seeing IMO.

I have been in and out of Thailand since the 80's-Living in BKK in 1987 through 1990-That's when it was very nice. Finally settled down and built a house North of UBON. which is my family's piece of Paradise. Just my opinion-Good Luck on yours.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Only reason I ever stopped at Onnut was on the bus from Pattaya. Connected to the skytrain and a quicker trip in the city.

Nothing worth seeing IMO.

Did you want museums and dancing girls next to condo?

On Nut or Nute as they say is pretty good. 20 mins from action.

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

Did you want museums and dancing girls next to condo?

On Nut or Nute as they say is pretty good. 20 mins from action.

There was a good night market there, could get a beer, was quite popular, still there?

4 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Yes otherwise you could live in west.

Why live in the west if you can afford a nice humble abode here in Thailand.  If I could own a place in the North as well as the one in BKK and HH, I would, then I would also pick one up down in the north of Phuket as well.  1 week in each every month.....ah the freedom to choose. Of course if I needed to go back to the west then I can do that as well having a few homes there, would just need to evict a renter is all......

12 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Why live in the west if you can afford a nice humble abode here in Thailand.  If I could own a place in the North as well as the one in BKK and HH, I would, then I would also pick one up down in the north of Phuket as well.  1 week in each every month.....ah the freedom to choose. Of course if I needed to go back to the west then I can do that as well having a few homes there, would just need to evict a renter is all......

500 baht hotel room. 7000 baht a month. Dont need to own 4 places.

2 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Not really. The money saved could be invested in shares.

30 years could be dead anyway

You must not be planning on living to a ripe old age and using all of the funds available.  I have shares and items in place for my kids already.  The rest is for me to spend and enjoy, why be a cheap charlie and stay in a cheap room, and eat cheap street food while shopping at 7-11 for your drinks and then sit in a bar all day.  A home is where you can truly relax, make your own food, entertain friends and family and then listen to silence instead of the noise surrounding your rented condo near the nightlife.

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Ah one who likes the shared rooms and shared women, in the end it costs you more if you do that for 30 years....

In 30 years if still alive the woman be 30 years older. Maybe you dont like each other anymore. Maybe you want a 34yo woman not a 64yo woman.

Maybe you dead. Maybe you want to live elsewhere.

Really cant plan 30 years ahead.

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

In 30 years if still alive the woman be 30 years older. Maybe you dont like each other anymore. Maybe you want a 34yo woman not a 64yo woman.

Maybe you dead. Maybe you want to live elsewhere.

Really cant plan 30 years ahead.

Wow someone who seems a little bitter from being tossed aside possibly, or just one who acts like the 2 week millionaire playboy.  It is what it is, mine will only be 58 when I am 87 in 30 years.  Life is what you make of it.

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

You must not be planning on living to a ripe old age and using all of the funds available.  I have shares and items in place for my kids already.  The rest is for me to spend and enjoy, why be a cheap charlie and stay in a cheap room, and eat cheap street food while shopping at 7-11 for your drinks and then sit in a bar all day.  A home is where you can truly relax, make your own food, entertain friends and family and then listen to silence instead of the noise surrounding your rented condo near the nightlife.

You cook better Gaeng Hang Lay than a restaurant? I dont think so. Ive eaten home cooked thats good. Lots of cleaning up. Overrated in Thailand.

When meals are 50 to 120 baht no point cooking. Thats restaurants not cart food.

Owning 1 home makes sense if want own furniture but 4 be a hassle. 

I would just own one. Likely the north. Ok but still cheap. 

7/11s are great. Dont like bars.

Sitting on a river in your own place be ok. Dont need 4 though. 

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wow someone who seems a little bitter from being tossed aside possibly, or just one who acts like the 2 week millionaire playboy.  It is what it is, mine will only be 58 when I am 87 in 30 years.  Life is what you make of it.

You sound like a dreamer. Life changes every 5 years.

If she is only 28 and you been together 3 years you have no idea about 10 years time let alone 30.

Your relationship isnt even past the 10 year stage.

Have you been together 3 years yet?