opening bank account

hi , can anyone advise what types of visa will allow me to open a bank account ....... other than retirement and marriage .   I used to have them in the 80's Bangkkok bank and Krung Thai ,  but failed to open one last month on a 45 day stay .   

It would be easier to open the account if you entered with a tourist visa.

Dependent upon where your are located getting a certificate of residence at immigration that would make it easier or a letter from your embassy to prove your address.

29 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Bangkok bank is the only one that opens accounts for people with tourist visas. All the others seem to require a work permit or at least some kind of Non-immigrant visa.

But Bangkok Bank is very strict on requirement for a reference letter (normally from your Embassy) last few years confirming your identity and outlining reason for opening any account in my experience.  

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Disregard all the above posts..

If you are planning to open bank account with visa exempt or tourist visa at Bangkok then you will require an agent. 

Bangkok Bank do NOT say that.  Disregard this guy who keeps pushing people to an agent,  I wonder why!

Requirements to open an account with BKK;

Savings Account (bangkokbank.com)

For foreigners

1. Foreigner with a work permit

Passport

Work Permit

2. Foreigner without work permit

Passport

A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document

Embassy located  in Thailand 

An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT 

Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank

Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.

Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.

Notes: Contact addresses for both Thailand and overseas must be provided (hotel and P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable).

1 hour ago, DezLez said:

Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer

how does a tourist find one of those? is there a place where all these helpful trusted individuals meet up to hand out free reference letters to total strangers? ????

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Try different banks, different branches, i opened 3 with tourist visa, Krungsri, Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn.

If you're really struggling pay for the insurance product in branch, some insist on that, or use an agent

you keep mentioning that you've opened back accounts on a tourist visa but you don't say where and you won't provide details of the individual branches when requested. neither of which is particularly helpful. 

21 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

you keep mentioning that you've opened back accounts on a tourist visa but you don't say where and you won't provide details of the individual branches when requested. neither of which is particularly helpful. 

Op doesn't say where he lives so pointless saying where i went. I've said loads of times that the place to go is Bangkok Bank Pattaya 2nd road by top of soi 6

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

The main pattaya branch in 2nd rd. He took a thai person with him, who was an existing BB customer for reference

My post was referring to opening a bank account in BANGKOK. 

Also @tonray rather than a laugh emoji outline recent experience of opening a bank account in Bangkok with a tourist visa or visa exempt. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

Can anyone confirm that, if using an agent's services (such as those of Siam Legal), there is a reasonably high chance of success in opening an account with either Kasikorn or Bangkok Bank? I know someone who is here on a tourist visa and he tried to open an account in vain. EU-country passport, winter visits only, sole intention is to park some cash for future visits.

Thank you. 

10 minutes ago, Thomas KH said:

Can anyone confirm that, if using an agent's services (such as those of Siam Legal), there is a reasonably high chance of success in opening an account with either Kasikorn or Bangkok Bank? I know someone who is here on a tourist visa and he tried to open an account in vain. EU-country passport, winter visits only, sole intention is to park some cash for future visits.

Thank you. 

I’m quite sure that a brown envelope is all you need , 

57 minutes ago, Thomas KH said:

Thank you. 

They won't get their fee if they can't open an account, personally i would try different branches and don't be lazy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas KH said:

Can anyone confirm that, if using an agent's services (such as those of Siam Legal), there is a reasonably high chance of success in opening an account with either Kasikorn or Bangkok Bank?

Siam Legal can open bank account.

Think you will find they deal with Bangkok Bank.

Fee ~ 3k...

When choosing a bank be aware that only these three accept large transfers using WISE.

Bangkok Bank.

Kasikorn Bank.

Siam Commercial Bank.

The others have limit of 50k baht per transaction.

Also be aware that SCB does not have a branch at CW immigration..

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Crazy Noobie said:

I am on a Retirement Visa. I went into Kasikorn Bank to see what their requirements to open a bank account was

The difficulties arise for folk on tourist visa or visa exempt at some immigration offices.

You had a non O retirement.

Different situation completely. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Crazy Noobie said:

I am on a Retirement Visa. I went into Kasikorn Bank to see what their requirements to open a bank account was. They asked if I wanted to open one now and I said yes. All they wanted was my passport and a 100 baht deposit to open the account and the ATM card fee of 200 baht. 10 minutes later I walked out with my new bank account and ATM card. I was very surprised how easy it was, I must of hit it at the right time. From what I hear it is not this easy.

Normally a long permitted to say is accepted.  And who could refuse a face like that.

Crazy Noobie

40 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Siam Legal can open bank account.

Think you will find they deal with Bangkok Bank.

Fee ~ 3k...

So can any agent or even cheaper the person can do this on their own.

Why do you keep pushing Siam Legal I wonder!

This past fall (after converting from visa exempt to a Non-O visa) I opened an account at Bangkok Bank here in CM without any hassle at all.  Just had to present my passport with the Non-O stamp along with my local address and local telephone number (no need for a residency certificate, work permit, agent, or anything else).  

14 minutes ago, DezLez said:

So can any agent or even cheaper the person can do this on their own.

Why do you keep pushing Siam Legal I wonder!

I was replying to this post...

"Can anyone confirm that, if using an agent's services (such as those of Siam Legal)".....

I gave the correct advice.

ThaivisaCenter also provide this service. 

You state ..... "..the person can do it on there own...".

Almost impossible if person is on visa exempt or tourist visa and opening an account in  Bangkok. 

Banks will require residence certificate or letter from embassy.

You cannot obtain residence certificate in CW unless you are making 90 day reports. 

Not all embassies provide the letter that the bank requires.

Oz embassy being one.

Post facts. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1