Danish inmate has died in Klong Prem prison in Bangkok

webfact

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

No sympathy here, 1.6 kg of heroin could have killed lots of people. Died in the best place for him

Have no sympathy for the users as well. Most of them seek out and take these drugs because it is cool to get high (just like this marijuana stuff) ie until they are hooked on something and then it becomes a blight on society.

But still, this guy was in prison due to him and he was under the control of government in their system and received a sentence according to the law and justice system.

There should be no reason for him to die and it is a bit strange that the government authorities are not being transparent with the cause of death of someone under their control.

Edited by userabcd
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

Some poster said legalize all drugs. You mean heroin and cocaine, as well, are you nuts?

Just curious.

Not nuts, just smart as a bucket of rocks

Edited by novacova
Because there’s a delusional drug crowd that thinks it’s okay for people to poison themselves
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

The war on drugs has been one of the greatest failures in US history. It is utterly moronic. I agree. Legalize ALL drugs. Their allure would likely diminish. And what about the cartels? They would likely diminish too. And think of all those billions that could be saved by downsizing the nearly useless DEA. 

Govt cannot wean themselves off the revenue it generates to control illicit drugs, the contribution to the economy is huge.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Yes. All drugs. Get rid of the useless DEA. Stop over crowding the prisons with minor drug offenses, and usage goes down in the process. Look at the countries that have legalized drugs. Most have been successs stories. Look at the ones who have not. Most have been failures. 

Correct. Hospitals should supply drugs. 

33 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

So smoking doesnt kill millions? Gee.

I did not read where smoking killed this Danish convict.. as such your prior post, and this comment, have nothing to do with the topic. 

3 hours ago, userabcd said:

Govt cannot wean themselves off the revenue it generates to control illicit drugs, the contribution to the economy is huge.

In the developed countries the cost impact of drugs and policing/ trying to control them is deemed a great expense.....yet you claim  there is revenue earned from it.  Can you back up that claim?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Amazed by reading the replies to this topic.

But at the end of the story, this guy was a human who made 1 bad decision 

He made one bad decision where he got caught , all the other times he smuggled drugs he didn't get caught and therefore they must have been a good decision .

Had he not got caught , he would have been living in luxury for the rest of his life .

He choose smuggling drugs to enrich himself and he would have been aware of the consequences if he got caught 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

But at the end of the story, this guy was a human who ....

... didn't deserve to live on the same planet as our children.

Shame it didn't happen sooner, and spared the many lives he ruined peddling his poison.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

Some poster said legalize all drugs. You mean heroin and cocaine, as well, are you nuts?

Just curious.

My home state, Oregon, decriminalized small quantities on all drugs, similar to what Portugal did back in 2000. In Oregon get a ticket or go into some treatment, tho not as aggressive at pushing for treatment as Portugal.

Mixed results. Many just pay fine, or don't pay fine.... only 1% go for treatment option. Treatment is paid for in large part by taxes on legal marijuana (Oregon was near the front on that drug legalization). I suppose the plus side would be folks don't end up with a criminal record, which can cause problems in getting housing, jobs, etc... https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2022-04-03/oregon-decriminalized-drugs-in-2020-hows-it-going

• Like 1

"I suppose the plus side would be folks don't end up with a criminal record, which can cause problems in getting housing, jobs, etc..."

This is a big part of it that impacts those who have been convicted.

In the country I am from even a speeding fine or admission of guilt fine for a traffic offence gets one a criminal conviction which can only be applied for and expunged after 10 years. It has an enormous impact on peoples lives.

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Every country that has decriminalized drug use has seen a significant fall in crime rates and overdoses. The distinction between legalized drugs and decriminalized drug use means possession and use of small quantities is not a crime under decriminalization, whereas trading larger quantities is. The two terms are often confused.

If anything is nuts, it is countries who provide subsidized medical care to smokers and alcoholics.

I agree with the legalisation of all drugs , 99.9% of the problems faced by societies due to drugs are caused by the illegality  once that aspect is removed most of the associated societal  problems disappear

Many people suffering from the effects of alcohol and cigarettes were hooked before smoking was considered to be so dangerous, and have also contributed to the system through the  tax they have paid , although anybody taking up the habit today has really no excuse.     Then there is the problem of obesity and heart disease, often self inflicted, and all the other ailments due to over consumption of fat, and  especially, sugar which must surely place at least a  similar load on health systems

I am sure that the money wasted on the "war" on drugs could have paid for enough doctors and hospitals to look after everybody that requires treatment.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Yea, before you know it, they'll legalize alcohol and cigarettes. Can you imagine if they legalize those vices how many people will die from cirrhosis or hit by a drunk driver or beaten to death by an abusive drunk husband or from lung cancer or COPD or heart disease or stroke?

I might guess that upwards of 500,000 people per year would die of smoking related illnesses and ailments in the USA alone ! (true stat)

Society has a very funny calculus in how it selects its legal vices. The alcohol and tobacco industry have many lobbyists, but little else to differentiate them from whatever evils heroin and cocaine might unload (that they don't already while remaining illegal). Maybe the drug cartels have their own kind of lobbyists (kind of sarcasm)?

The war on drugs has cost the US over a $trillion dollars, and victory was closer in Vietnam and Afghanistan than the Drug War.

Maybe it's time for Plan B. How many additional users would there be if h and c were legal? Are there millions of folks who will say, "Now that it's legal I think I'm going to give that heroin thing a try".

Legalize it and thousands of innocents in South America will not die, and the US will save $billiions per year, money which might go toward caring for the folks suffering from already legal vices like tobacco and booze.

Yeah.  Alcohol would never ever be legalised if it was invented this year.

The British Crown was the first organized legal trafficker of narcotics. The Crown started a lucrative industry which has grown worldwide although no longer legal. Despite global efforts to combat the industry's growth the huge profits ensure the industry will continue and many countries and their citizens suffers, This Danish guy learned a hard lesson about "muling" for 200,000 Baht which was peanuts compared to the amount earned by his "boss". Many mules are professionals and deserve no pity. Many are poor desperate people lured by the promise of earning easy no risk money.

7 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

He made one bad decision where he got caught , all the other times he smuggled drugs he didn't get caught and therefore they must have been a good decision .

Had he not got caught , he would have been living in luxury for the rest of his life .

He choose smuggling drugs to enrich himself and he would have been aware of the consequences if he got caught 

I have read the "horror" stories about Thailand, where the Police hide some drugs in a hotel room and later search'd the hotel room and found the "drugs".
The tourist was immediatelly arrested for the possesion of the drugs and extorted for a lot of money before released and put on a plane back to his/her country.

More recently, similar cases where someone is kidnapped (mostly by a police officer) and extorted for a lot of money are reported in Asean Now.

Like I said, life can make a 180 degrees turn before you even realize it ....

18 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Maybe if the drug had been legal, he would not be in jail and then died there.

Also maybe lots of people could have been saved if the drug was legal and controlled doses were sold,  not some dirty brown liquid sold up some back alley, by the bad guys, and then the person dies of an over dose.

Legalize all drugs .

Get control.

Get Revenue.

Put the bad guys out of business

Ps.

R.I.P, sounds like you were just one more drug mule for the bad guys.

That would be the wise way to go but you have lots of opposition. Crooks want it illegal as that keeps the price up. Cops want it illegal as it keeps the cash flowing " war on drugs". Owners of private jails in the US need lots of inmates to keep the cash flowing etc. Dope a medical problem not a criminal one and should be treated as such.

• Like 2

Criminals are not victims. I think most criminals believe they’ve been victimized by the law, but it’s the victims that were victimized. For instance look at some of the crazy looney policies that some of the US local government’s and absurdly even some of the federal congress politicians, believe that’s it’s a good thing to let criminals loose on the streets and victimize the innocent. This criminal mindset is utterly barbaric and stupid. Law and order is what keeps civilization civil, it’s what keeps the peace. Those that try to rationalize and justify the criminally mindset of a certain group that is swinging out in the left field are in complete delusion. I don’t care if you’re a petty thief, drug dealer, cop or politician, you break the law you do the time to keep civilization civil and peace for the innocent.

From this perspective, it appears those that support the criminal actions of criminals are criminals themselves.

Edited by novacova