Please suggest a self defence for my age?

8 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Up to you. Me, I prefer not to be a victim.

Great, and maybe you are strong and fit and know how to fight.

On the other hand, if you are not as strong and fit then maybe you end up in a hospital - if you are lucky enough that someone calls an ambulance.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Great, and maybe you are strong and fit and know how to fight.

On the other hand, if you are not as strong and fit then maybe you end up in a hospital - if you are lucky enough that someone calls an ambulance.

Again, up to you.

To address the question, walking stick defense is probably the best option. At 62, you can get away with carrying a cane.

Personally, I'm all for risk avoidance. Don't bounce so well, these days (67). Apart from that, get psychologically attuned to violence, as Mike Tyson said: "everyone has a plan until they get to get punched in the mouth". At 62, how you get this, I don't know. Maybe do some Muai Thai stuff, just to ground you in reality. As far as I can see most Thai confrontations are based on hidden knives, guns, or mob violence.

I can tell you one thing, having dabbled in a lot of these things in my youth, traditional martial arts won't work, and I include MMA in that definition. It's all great for one on one confrontations with rules.You might also want to look at "Get Tough" by W.E. Fairbairn. Good enough for the British commandos during WWII, good enough for me. 

I must say you should've learned all this stuff in the schoolýard, coming to it this late in the game is rather telling of modern society. 

To sum up: risk avoidance, develop your situational awareness, psychological toughness, and have one or two tricks up your sleeve if push comes to shove, and give yourself an edge, carry a cane.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Absolutely laughable stuff in this thread... a member who carries a 'blade' to cut his hoagies but also for self defense.... Lets hope if you are ever attacked they kindly give you a few mins to put your specs on and rummage around in your bag to find your 'blade' and then you can go to work with your 'blade'.

The BS and downright obscure things that people do and say on this forum get wilder by the year....

Fighting with a knife and all that...

35 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Ain't movies wonderful? Scenes practiced and skilled advisors make it seem easy.

In reality, turning one's back on a functional enemy is not a good idea.

BTW I enjoyed the movie.

And I thought if I act like him, I will win, and get the girl, sure. ???? 

• Thumbs Up 1

The best Martial art for your age would be Brazilian Jiu Jitsu BJJ. It is low Impact and does not require feets of strength.

It is one of the few martialat arts that you actually have a chance of taking out someone bigger than you.

This has been proven time and time again with BJJ on the streets and in the ring. 

The first thing you learn is usually a submission that you actually get to practice sparring with on your first day. 

Avoid run defuse dont go near idiots/drunks best advice.

But in answer to your question

the best martial arts are those used in mma (mixed martial arts) thai kickboxing and brazilian jujitsu.

The jujitsu part is the best because you can tackle stop

a violent opponent with reasonable force throws wrist locks evasion .

Reasonable force means you are less likely to get in trouble with the police for defending yourself.????????????

On 10/8/2022 at 2:06 AM, georgegeorgia said:

Watching all this social media I see videos of people being attacked in the street.

Stop watching videos that are giving you a completely biased vision of the world.

On 10/8/2022 at 2:06 AM, georgegeorgia said:

I don't want to be a statistic,please suggest a martial art for me ,I'm 62yo relatively fit 

Diplomacy. Warm smile, kind eyes, calm voice, non-aggressive body language, slow movements and positive words.

Respect people and people will respect you. Don't show fear but kindness. 99.99% of the time it works.

And when it doesn't... well... Bad karma, man ????

Edited by Baron Samedi
  • Like 2

On 10/8/2022 at 11:57 AM, Fat is a type of crazy said:

You posted a similar topic 6 months ago and there were similar responses from some similar posters . My response was get fit and do some boxing if it feels good if only do build your confidence in yourself to know that it is best not to fight but you don't have to feel like a pussy by not fighting if you know you are able to handle yourself a bit if no choice. 

You actually remember a post like that for 6 months