Please suggest a self defence for my age?

You should only fight if you feel you are in imminent danger.  Or of course if someone actually attacks you.  
If you want to learn self defense at your age.  I’m older than you .  From research I have done in the past. You should look into Krav Maga.  It’s recommended for older people.  It’s a form of self defense based on street fighting 

Cannot give self defense advice to a 62 year old. Last time I thought about this, I was 32 and planning for a year of travel so … A year of intense Takwando. 130 pounds and no fat, best shape I have eer been in. Still, I knew my limitations … I could deliver a solid hit … and run like hell! Now, 75 and twice the man I was (OK, not quite but quite heftier), I might get in one lucky strike (pun intended) and stride/stroll quickly  way … Post only meant to bring a smile to those of a certain age.

Edited by wwest5829
  • Like 1

jujitsu is all about defense, but it takes time to develop memory in your actions.

In the mean time 2 places to take out a person, kick in the groin or a blow to the throat. Of course it has to be explosive, develop speed on it. Practice your body and mind.

With a knife maybe something like this?

• Haha 1

Step 1: powerlifting style lifting along the lines of Starting Strength Linear Progression or I like barbell medicine. This not only makes you stronger but increases the strength of your tendons/ligaments and increases bone density. This will reduce serious injuries from training or if you are attacked.

Step 2: After a few weeks add in Low Intensity Steady State cardio plus core work like planks. 

Step 3: transition to less lifting but enough to fight sarcopenia and begin Muay Thai and BJJ. Find a club/ instructor that has guys that can work within your limitations. 

Step 4: Avoid fights.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

You actually remember a post like that for 6 months

Do remember stuff. Don't you? Remember topics and the personality of posters a bit I suppose. Not hard really - there are certain posters whose personality comes through strongly and this is such a poster.  I remember he lives in Sydney in a job he's sick of, is close to retirement, and has holidays in Pattaya and such and gets annoyed at giving tips. 

If you don't I suppose it's like Groundhog Day - seems like that on some topics, where the same posters have the same responses or complaints, weekly if not daily. Still get 30 likes and laughs for the same comment as before. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/8/2022 at 9:49 AM, phetphet said:

I wouldn't suggest learning a martial art at your age for the sole purpose of self defense. Younger men will have much faster reflexes to say the least. Even Mike Tyson was recently warned that he is too old for the fight  game.

But as a method of keeping fit? Sure. I can highly recommend Muay Thai. I usually train five times per week and I am older than you. Currently having a month off on doctor's orders after unrelated surgery, but as soon as the  doc OK's it I will be straight back in the gym.

There is even a guy in his seventies who comes now and again.

Ever heard of Aikido?

Even at 62 this is still a good training to react quickly, balance, concentration and for self defense. 

I have a story, right from today. I took the overhead walkways from Lumpini to Benjakitti. Along the klong, two teenage boys were fishing, accompanied by four smaller boys, maybe 10 tears old.

As I passed, I asked one of the boys, in Thai, "Any fish?" He told me yes. Then one of the smaller boys came up toward me and show me a four-inch knife he had palmed.

I walked up to him and asked him if he was stupid. And I walked away.

There was a security guard, just out of sight at the tops of the stairs. Kids didn't look like toughs. It was a calculated risk. I'm 72.

My advice? Stay home after dark. Be friendly. Smile. Greet people. Don't be impatient or angry. Don't make small problems your big problem. It's all up to how you perceive the world, with confidence or fear.

I'd agree with many here about stop watching violent social media stuff.

Once you watch a few those dang media site algorithm's will target you again and so on ... its not good for your/anyones head.

In other nations people go around smacking people and acting like total appendages. It happens here too but as others have said its very rare here per capita especially with falangs and Thais ... if you're cool and relaxed nobody will touch you unless you invite it.

If you walk around with the fear/images of how unsafe it is and being hurt others will see it (even if they aren't aware they do).

Yes there are wolves about, if you act like a sheep you may get bit. 

If you really want to defend yourself go find a good western boxing coach and learn the art and slowly begin to spar when he says it's safe to do so. Learning to use your feet at your age will take focus and time away from the hands and defensive technique.

I've been boxing (and other arts) since I was twenty and still spar every week at age 66 (and I hold me own against lads in their twenties). I put that down to a lot of experience and good basics. 

One of my mentor/coaches in Oz won the boxing world masters some years back in his mid sixties in two weight divisions so staying fit, fast, and strong is entirely possible at your age. Maybe not as goods as my mentor but still fit, strong, agile and handy if need be.

Boxing training is good for mateship and despite some images of it can be a really honourable and character building endeavour.  I would bet you if you did take it up within a year or so any trepidation will leave you and you will feel less fearful and completely forget about possible dangers lurking here and there, or wanting to use your hands in the street.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2022 at 6:54 PM, KhunLA said:

Why weapons were invented, and why I always have one.

Never needed ... but ... 

Not allowed handguns for law abiding citizens in my country. Carrying a proper knife can put one in doodoo with the cops.

Of course the gangs/ criminals have no problems arming themselves.

5 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

I'd agree with many here about stop watching violent social media stuff.

Once you watch a few those dang media site algorithm's will target you again and so on ... its not good for your/anyones head.

In other nations people go around smacking people and acting like total appendages. It happens here too but as others have said its very rare here per capita especially with falangs and Thais ... if you're cool and relaxed nobody will touch you unless you invite it.

If you walk around with the fear/images of how unsafe it is and being hurt others will see it (even if they aren't aware they do).

Yes there are wolves about, if you act like a sheep you may get bit. 

If you really want to defend yourself go find a good western boxing coach and learn the art and slowly begin to spar when he says it's safe to do so. Learning to use your feet at your age will take focus and time away from the hands and defensive technique.

I've been boxing (and other arts) since I was twenty and still spar every week at age 66 (and I hold me own against lads in their twenties). I put that down to a lot of experience and good basics. 

One of my mentor/coaches in Oz won the boxing world masters some years back in his mid sixties in two weight divisions so staying fit, fast, and strong is entirely possible at your age. Maybe not as goods as my mentor but still fit, strong, agile and handy if need be.

Boxing training is good for mateship and despite some images of it can be a really honourable and character building endeavour.  I would bet you if you did take it up within a year or so any trepidation will leave you and you will feel less fearful and completely forget about possible dangers lurking here and there, or wanting to use your hands in the street.

While I have no problem with most of your post, boxers wear padded gloves for a reason. If on the street and attacked and one responds by hitting the attacker with an ungloved hand, what do you think happens to that hand when it hits bone?

IMO best to learn defensive moves, and/ or judo.

7 hours ago, Deli said:

Make Smith & Wesson to become your friends.

Ah, if only it were allowed where I live, I'd be the best armed geriatric on the planet. Unfortunately, not all countries are as enlightened as the USA when it comes to personal arms.

Carrying an illegal ( no way to carry a legal one ) handgun here would make me a criminal, and subject to extreme penalties if I used it, even in self defense.

On 10/8/2022 at 9:06 AM, georgegeorgia said:

I don't want to be a statistic,please suggest a martial art for me ,I'm 62yo relatively fit 

Is Krav Maga any good? 

Or judo for my age ?

100 yard sprint... away from the perp.

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not allowed handguns for law abiding citizens in my country. Carrying a proper knife can put one in doodoo with the cops.

Of course the gangs/ criminals have no problems arming themselves.

Yea ... in the USA, always better to be judge by 12, than carried by 6.  Though I had a carry permit. No issues for myself, for any 'what ifs' that never really happened.

The world is a safe place, except for the headlines.  And getting safer every day.

Also why here, I carry a small blade, think paring knife.  Don't need a large, just a sharp one.  Besides, every try to cut a tomato with a dull knife.

Actually PoPo would laugh, considering the machetes other carry around.

image.png.bfd9a2283054f73fe45571d716e651bf.png

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Isn't the OP rather old? If anything like me a 5 yard sprint would be the limit.

Hence the need for a self defense weapon ie a stun gun.  https://www.lazada.co.th/products/801-i3327539796-s12342170612.html?clickTrackInfo=undefined&search=1&spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.i40.15c86656X5HIP2

On 10/8/2022 at 12:52 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Gangs sometimes require wannabe scumbags to go out and king hit some unsuspecting passerby.

I did martial arts many years ago, and the best lesson I learned was to assume every stranger I passed by wished to do me harm and act accordingly to avoid being assaulted.

That answers a lot of questions.What a way to live!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jvs said:

That answers a lot of questions.What a way to live!

It invites violence. I must admit, I was rather gobsmacked when a colleague of mine said he'd never been in a fight in his life. Always talked his way out of it. Different generations, I suppose. Almost a rite of passage in my generation, didn't really matter whether you won or lost, you just had to be willing to fight.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, nausea said:

It invites violence. I must admit, I was rather gobsmacked when a colleague of mine said he'd never been in a fight in his life. Always talked his way out of it. Different generations, I suppose. Almost a rite of passage in my generation, didn't really matter whether you won or lost, you just had to be willing to fight.

I suspect that was just your culture. It's not true of every culture though.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Carrying one of those would get me in doodoo if I used it and the cops got involved.

Seems the government doesn't want us to defend ourselves. Just get get beaten up and then the cops can write it up in their files. So few of them around that calling them for help would be a waste of time.

Edited by thaibeachlovers