CNN needs more than an apology to dig itself out of the grave it dug for itself in Nong Bua Lamphu

webfact

image.jpeg

OPINION 

By Thanaphum Charoensombatpanich

The world has been in shock over the past weekend as American broadcasting giant – Cable News Network (CNN), went well beyond it call of duty and willingly entered the crime scene where toddlers were massacred just days ago.

CNN’s reporting team entered the crime scene in Nong Bua Lamphu, where on October 6th 24 children were murdered in cold blood by a former police officer, to report what and where the incident took place.

Nong Bua Lamphu’s day care center where toddlers as young as 2-years of age were stabbed to death, had been off limits to even Thailand’s Prime Minister – Prayut Chan-o-cha, on October 7th when the Prime Minister went to lay wreath for the deceased, but CNN’s reporters somehow got the ‘permission’ to enter the crime scene.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/45124/opinion-cnn-needs-more-than-an-apology-to-dig-itself-out-of-the-grave-it-dug-for-itself-in-nong-bua-lamphu/

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Interesting twist in the case.

They are cleared for entering the premises but fined for working on tourist visas :tongue:

Guess they should be en route to US already.

Tourist visa should have triggered questions from the beginning. So unprofessional.

Perhaps they were refused a Press Visa or it just takes too long who knows but I guess they had their reason's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BKKBike09 said:

......because some local officials said it was okay.

In my book that makes them (Health "Officials") complicit. Also, all of this is very convieniently pulling the focus off the local officials who "Snapped the camels back" by not doing their job on time. He apparently asked for a document by a certain time (As per court instructions) and it was denied. 

1 hour ago, monkfish said:

Perhaps they were refused a Press Visa or it just takes too long who knows but I guess they had their reason's.

Yes, to get to a crime scene and report on it, by any means possible...lying included.

54 minutes ago, John Drake said:

They aren't Americans.

Oh I overlooked this.
Australian Anna Coren going back to Hong Kong (her station)?

British Daniel Hodge, photojournalist, also Hong Kong.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Honestly, where do they come up with these opinion pieces? And who is Thanaphum Charoensombatpanich?

That was so painful, and cringe-worthy, to read I feel like I'm owed some opiates.

And who approved the "grave-digging" analogy? Yikes, talk about tone-deaf, insensitive, and insulting to those who suffered such a tragic loss.

But of course it's CNN which is the "problem".

• Like 1

What a lot of hoopla. The Thaienquirer's supercilious reporting is kinda amateurish: Look at us, we'd never report such horrible scenes:

No dead bodies, no blood, no pictures of blood in coffin or others were shown by even a rookie news agency such as us, but then we are not CNN are we.

Well, good reporters vacuum up everything available. Then, it's up to their news organization to do the editing. If too bloody to show, then the worst scenes are edited out. Any remaining scenes come with the warning, "If you're squeamish, please look away now" -- or similar. We see this every night on US news shows. Not to take any pictures, even if allowed to, 'cause they're too horrible -- would call for a change of occupations. And, having said all this, I'm sure CNN edited out the worst of the pictures. But, that they showed any seems to be the bone of contention. FOX news must be smirking at all the heat their nemesis is receiving.

To make matters worse, even CNN has not given any kind of indication of what it would do to its journalists who have tarnished its image and reputation except to stand-by with the reporters claims that they were allowed and that the gates were locked, and police cordoned off the area after Anna and Daniel went into the day care for just 15-minutes.

Thank you CNN for being such a supportive employer. And for believing your reporters' version of the situation. Sorry the world is so full of horrible events. But keep hiring reporters with initiative -- and please, in your editing, don't completely whitewash the situation due to over sensitivities. We need to see for ourselves the horror of these situations, at least in part.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, JimGant said:

What a lot of hoopla. The Thaienquirer's supercilious reporting is kinda amateurish: Look at us, we'd never report such horrible scenes:

Well, good reporters vacuum up everything available. Then, it's up to their news organization to do the editing. If too bloody to show, then the worst scenes are edited out. Any remaining scenes come with the warning, "If you're squeamish, please look away now" -- or similar. We see this every night on US news shows. Not to take any pictures, even if allowed to, 'cause they're too horrible -- would call for a change of occupations. And, having said all this, I'm sure CNN edited out the worst of the pictures. But, that they showed any seems to be the bone of contention. FOX news must be smirking at all the heat their nemesis is receiving.

Thank you CNN for being such a supportive employer. And for believing your reporters' version of the situation. Sorry the world is so full of horrible events. But keep hiring reporters with initiative -- and please, in your editing, don't completely whitewash the situation due to over sensitivities. We need to see for ourselves the horror of these situations, at least in part.

Well said.  Who'd be a journalist these days?  Long may they continue to put themselves in harms way to bring us the news.

• Like 1

It seems clear that the reporters from CNN made a mistake coming into Thailand on tourists visas and then doing actual business/work. It also seems that the official who gave them permission to cross the line into the crime scene made a mistake.

Its very unfortunate what happened but its been blown out of proportion, by the Thai press, net-citizens!

• Like 1

Photos of a blood soaked floor covered with dead bodies of children and adults were posted to Twitter the day this happened.

I saw them. They were posted by Thais.

I think CNN are full of <deleted> but what happened here is irrelevant. I could believe that they broke in but as it turns out they didn't - so it's a non story.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Big deflection ongoing, focus on why a violent moody drug addict ex policeman still had a gun

Exactly my thaught as well.
Reporters are there to record every inch of what goes wrong with the country and lucky that they have the guts to do it.
No sweeping under the carpet but show to the whole world.

• Like 1

Reports of photos of the poor kids laying in the School were sent on LINE to thais how were these photo's obtained? when they do it they have no regret when its foreigners there quick to object. However I would certainly want to see these pictures. There are even circulating of 2 of the kids ghosts waving to passer-bys already sickening.