Local disk C.

NoshowJones

37 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Thanks. Good advice. I don't think the OP mentioned his operating system. Some of us don't yet have PC's capable of running Windows 10/11 properly. But the time will come.

tell that to Immigration who are still on (bootleg) W8

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

what is useless about my advice? 

The OP is asking for advice about a lack of storage on his present system.  It has nothing to do with an operating system!

Your "so called advice" has nothing to do with his questions!

Hence my comment suggesting that your advice is useless and pointless in the OP's posted situation!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, DezLez said:

The OP is asking for advice about a lack of storage on his present system.  It has nothing to do with an operating system!

Your "so called advice" has nothing to do with his questions!

Hence my comment suggesting that your advice is useless and pointless in the OP's posted situation!

Model T Fords were great until the Anglia came along. 555

25 minutes ago, DezLez said:

Why do you not read a topic in total before posting?

Have you read the previous posts here where there is some more detail on the same procedure?

I did read the thread and I didn't see any responses suggesting what I suggested.

I did see other posts which talked about using 3rd party tools which may be more than the OP needs.

If I did miss a post with the same content then I apologize for any offence I have clearly caused.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

Right click on the drive icon, select properties from the pop-up menu, go to the "tools" tab and select "disk cleanup". This will provide you some safe options for recovering space.

????????

Finally!! (I think you are the first).

For a non tech native this is the first step to go.

And you can use all available options incl. system file cleanup, windows update cleanup etc.

Will free up xx GB of space.

If that is not enough the smart part has to be done.

Finding one's own huge worthless outdated garbage.

Start with searching for videos of multiple GB size and review.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Use your google account and upload any data that you are not using now to the google drive. Also all your image photos can go to

http://www.google.com/photos

https://www.google.com/drive/

Then use one of the many free drive clean up programs.

https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner

lastly do spyware cleanup . I'll be you have an infecting! 

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, a great little utility program is windirstat.

That's a good one for the smart part (finding huge user data stuff not created by the operating system).

(a pity that the wonderful "Sequoia View" was not continued)

I have a fairly organized disk.

C 292 GB, 217 free, D : 683 GB, 417 GB free.

I would get only 10 GB free with Windows Disk cleanup.

I bet the OP will see much more.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, MJCM said:

He also asked

And that is why I posted that list (which included the c:\$Recycle.Bin\ DIRECTORY which INCLUDES all users on the system)

Yes, I emptied the recycle bin and it has given me a little more space.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

If you are still using disk drive indeed would highly recommend change to SSD if you can afford.  Will speed things up greatly and after clone you can mount your old C drive in external case to use for extra storage (for video/files and such no need for SSD.  But suspect you should have a computer shop do this for you - if you have sensitive information on drive stand over them during the process.

I already have an SSD.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Depending upon the size of the files OP wishes to keep it may be possible to upload them to a free cloud storage account (Mega.nz for example) and simply continue after a bit of housekeeping? 

Thank you very much for this site, just what I was looking for. ????

Win ????

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I already have an SSD.

In that case best to do some housekeeping as suggested by others - as said video (movies) are the most common large files and you may be able to just get rid of many with todays high speed internet - if you want to keep larger files of questionable legality probably best to use storage on an external drive - easy to attach a USB 2.5 inch laptop type drive and even USB 2 is fine for playback so no need for speed.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Kan Win said:

Thank you very much for this site, just what I was looking for. ????

Win ????

Mega will give you 20 GB for free. Long time ago you got 50 GB. Google Drive will give you 15 GB for free (per email account). Everything counts - Emails, Google Photos, Google Drive, whatever you have under this account. These limits can change at any time. If you ask me what will exist longer - Mega or Google... I don't know ????????

21 hours ago, possum1931 said:

My disk C is almost full up, there are different files and other things on it. Can anyone tell me what I can or cannot delete from it without messing anything up? Thanks.

You can delete what you no longer need or copy the said files to another drive. Without further info there is little more feedback one can offer!

Edited by Digitalbanana
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

You can delete what you no longer need or copy the said files to another drive. Without further info there is little more feedback one can offer!

A typical helpdesk answer would be "Format drive C and install Windows again." ????????????

NO - Don't do this!!! ????

50 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

A typical helpdesk answer would be "Format drive C and install Windows again." ????????????

NO - Don't do this!!! ????

I am surprised that nobody has suggested that yet, although we have had an "upgrade to Win11 suggestion!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DezLez said:

I am surprised that nobody has suggested that yet, although we have had an "upgrade to Win11 suggestion!

At mobile devices the helpdesks often ask as first question "Did you try to reset the device? ". I would be busy for a very long time afterwards to get back to the installation I had before...

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

My W11 takes 20 GB of disk space.

Please explain how that post helps the OP?

The OP has a "storage" problem, not an OS problem!

If you're upgrading directly from Windows 10 to Windows 11, the download size is about 3.5 GB. And, you need to make sure that you have at least 64GB of free space. If you install Windows 11 using an .ISO file, plan on having 25 GB of free space at least. 

Windows 11 Size: How Much Space Does It Take Up - EaseUS

Edited by DezLez

13 hours ago, DezLez said:

Please explain how that post helps the OP?

The OP has a "storage" problem, not an OS problem!

If you're upgrading directly from Windows 10 to Windows 11, the download size is about 3.5 GB. And, you need to make sure that you have at least 64GB of free space. If you install Windows 11 using an .ISO file, plan on having 25 GB of free space at least. 

Windows 11 Size: How Much Space Does It Take Up - EaseUS

Thanks for this. 

Edited by KannikaP