Twitter: Elon Musk blames 'activist groups' for earnings drop

Scott

Twitter - Free social media icons

Elon Musk, the new owner of Twitter, has blamed "activist groups pressuring advertisers" for a "massive drop in revenue" as the company makes sweeping job cuts in an effort to save money.

The billionaire owner of Tesla tweeted that "activists" raising concerns about how Twitter is moderated are "trying to destroy free speech in America".

It came as Twitter made widespread job cuts around the world on Friday.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63521713

BBC.jpg

Elon's definitely got himself in a financial pickle (even if he is the richest person I  the work) buying Twitter for a frothy price at the peak of a market top. Since then, stocks in general are down around 30% and social media stocks, like Twitter, are down double that...but of course Musk had to buy it at his top of the market price he offered back in April (I believe). He also slathered $ 11B on to its books in debt to help finance the buyout and so has over $ 1B in annual interest payments to banks to find from a company that only had about half that much in free cash flow last year and has only been marginally profitable a couple years in its over decade of existence. It looks to me the whole thing could easily go up in flames with losses on jobs, the banks, and the new private owners at some point.

• Like 2

Oh dear.

1 hour ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

These big companies are totally out of line. If they didn't pull their advertizing when Twitter dishonestly blocked major news outlets and factually true stories(1) which didn't benefit the democrat party just before the 2020 election, why start now? Misinforming voters like that seemed to me to be major election interference, right out in the open, and what did they do? Absolutely nothing at all. So, why now? 

I am boycotting any product from any of these woke companies that are pulling Twitter ads. This is because I think they are acting like this out of petulant spite, and not any honest concern over "disinformation", as we already see they have no issue with fake narratives so long as they promote leftist causes.

supporting evidence for claims made

(1)https://nypost.com/2021/03/25/dorsey-says-blocking-posts-hunter-biden-story-was-total-mistake/

So no new Audi for you then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

The only people upset here are the left. The left making emotional rants likely because Musk now controls the digital town square and will stop the ludicrous one sided censorship which the dems have relied on. Hardly suggests buyers regret, does it?

I think his plan to charge $8 a month for a blue tick is genius. He'll make a fortune after they calmed down enough to realize they will lose their voice(and adoring fans) without Twitter.

#neversaystartyourownplatformagain

No, it’s musk who’s upset and making emotional rants, hence his activist groups being responsible for tw*tters problems claim. 

As to your second paragraph, tw*tter problems with users declining was an issue prior to his purchase. 

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/7/18213567/twitter-to-stop-sharing-mau-as-users-decline-q4-2018-earnings

• Like 1

TECH

Twitter co-founder Dorsey apologizes for

growing the company ‘too quickly’ in wake of mass layoffs

Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey apologized Saturday for growing the company “too quickly,” a day after the company laid off approximately half of its employees under new owner Elon Musk.

“Folks at Twitter past and present are strong and resilient. They will always find a way no matter how difficult the moment,” Dorsey wrote in a tweet. “I realize many are angry with me. I own the responsibility for why everyone is in this situation: I grew the company size too quickly. I apologize for that.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/05/twitter-co-founder-jack-dorsey-speaks-out-after-mass-layoffs.html

Confusion and Frustration Reign as Elon Musk Cuts Half of Twitter’s Staff

The layoffs hit across many divisions, including the engineering and machine learning units, the teams that manage content moderation, and the sales and advertising departments

"By early Friday, the scale of the layoffs by Elon Musk, Twitter’s new owner, was becoming clear: Roughly half of the company’s work force, or about 3,700 jobs, had been eliminated, four people with knowledge of the matter said. The cuts hit across many divisions, including the engineering and machine learning teams, the trust and safety teams that manage content moderation, and the sales and advertising departments. Rarely have layoffs this deep been made by a single individual at a tech company."

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/04/technology/elon-musk-twitter-layoffs.html

17 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I I said in the earlier Musk Twitter thread, Musk has bought himself a headache.

The business revenue comes from advertising, who but the ‘My Pillow Guy’ wants to see their business advertised alongside hate mongering, lies and misinformation?

Take a Tylenol Elon. 

A genius who lacks maturity. His entire Twitter adventure already a massive clustermuck (sic).

• Like 2

I haven't been following this: when I read the news and see that smiling chimpanzee face I keep scrolling.

US$44 billion?  (I think Buffet bought a large chunk of North American railroad infrastructure for $50 billion.)  It sounds like we are in dot com bubble 2.0.  Truth is Twitter has no secret sauce, anyone with the dosh can put together the engineers and the hardware to do the same thing, and for a hell of a lot less $$$.  (I think of the current titans of internet entities only Google is sitting on a secret yet-to-be-cracked algorithm, the one that the two lads came up with in 1998).  Facebook is banking on, and hyping, technology that does not exist yet -- shades of 1997.

Oh, but the brand recognition!  The user base!  Yeah, sure.  Remember Myspace?  AOL?  And for those who remember 1990s pre-internet technology: Wordperfect, Lotus 123, dBase, Novell, Borland development software, to name a few; all were used in nearly every business that utilized computers. 

Recalling his comments when all this started I got the impression EM's goal was to be the most well-known person in the world. 

At the end of the day Twitter is just a chat site.  I would guess they own a good chunk of real estate to house all those server farms, probably the only true assets should he be forced to liquidate.  With all this supply chain problems and chip shortages we're told about maybe he can get some return on selling second-hand hardware.

And now we can guess who will buy out Tesla when his nibs is forced to sell. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Musk has just started selling the blue verified account logos and in doing so has totally undermined their value.

He obviously thinks reputation is something to be bought and sold.

I heard that you can buy a verified checkmark without being verified. 

Of course that would be insane.

Can someone clarify?

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 5:51 AM, SunnyinBangrak said:

These big companies are totally out of line. If they didn't pull their advertizing when Twitter dishonestly blocked major news outlets and factually true stories(1) which didn't benefit the democrat party just before the 2020 election, why start now? Misinforming voters like that seemed to me to be major election interference, right out in the open, and what did they do? Absolutely nothing at all. So, why now? 

I am boycotting any product from any of these woke companies that are pulling Twitter ads. This is because I think they are acting like this out of petulant spite, and not any honest concern over "disinformation", as we already see they have no issue with fake narratives so long as they promote leftist causes.

supporting evidence for claims made

(1)https://nypost.com/2021/03/25/dorsey-says-blocking-posts-hunter-biden-story-was-total-mistake/

They have the right to advertise where and when they like, in exactly the same way that you have the right to buy their products or not.

I don't expect that they will be heartbroken if you don't buy their products.

• Like 2

On 11/6/2022 at 12:57 AM, Jingthing said:

A genius who lacks maturity. His entire Twitter adventure already a massive clustermuck (sic).

Massive clustermuck hey?? Sounds like Musk played a blinder here and is laughing all the way to the bank - despite earlier reports to the contrary. 

"Since Musk’s dramatic takeover, Twitter’s monetizable daily user (mDAU) growth has accelerated to more than 20 percent, while “Twitter’s largest market, the US, is growing even more quickly,” according to an internal FAQ obtained by The Verge that was shared with Twitter’s sales team on Monday to use in conversations with advertisers. Per the FAQ, Twitter has added more than 15 million mDAUs, “crossing the quarter billion mark” since the end of the second quarter, when it stopped reporting financials as a public company."

https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/7/23445476/elon-musk-twitter-user-growth-all-time-high-advertisers

1 hour ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Massive clustermuck hey?? Sounds like Musk played a blinder here and is laughing all the way to the bank - despite earlier reports to the contrary. 

"Since Musk’s dramatic takeover, Twitter’s monetizable daily user (mDAU) growth has accelerated to more than 20 percent, while “Twitter’s largest market, the US, is growing even more quickly,” according to an internal FAQ obtained by The Verge that was shared with Twitter’s sales team on Monday to use in conversations with advertisers. Per the FAQ, Twitter has added more than 15 million mDAUs, “crossing the quarter billion mark” since the end of the second quarter, when it stopped reporting financials as a public company."

https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/7/23445476/elon-musk-twitter-user-growth-all-time-high-advertisers

I had never heard of the verge so I Googled it. Then I did another search and ended up with Reuters who I have heard of, and they tell a different story.

To be fair these were posted before Musk took over.

But people choose to read and believe the news stories that they want to believe nowadays and ignore the ones they don't like.

I am not, never have been, and never will be a Twitter user. I prefer to read a story, rather than have it truncated to 480 characters including punctuation and spaces.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/exclusive-where-did-tweeters-go-twitter-is-losing-its-most-active-users-internal-2022-10-25/

Exclusive: Twitter is losing its most active users, internal documents show.

Oct 25 (Reuters) - "Is Twitter dying?" billionaire Elon Musk mused in April, five days before offering to buy the social media platform.

The reality, according to internal Twitter (TWTR.N) research seen by Reuters, goes far beyond the handful of examples of celebrities ghosting their own accounts. Twitter is struggling to keep its most active users - who are vital to the business - engaged, underscoring a challenge faced by the Tesla (TSLA.O) chief executive as he approaches a deadline to close his $44 billion deal to buy the company.

5 minute readOctober 27, 20222:46 AM GMT+7Last Updated 12 days ago
Exclusive: Twitter is losing its most active users, internal documents show
By Sheila Dang

Oct 25 (Reuters) - "Is Twitter dying?" billionaire Elon Musk mused in April, five days before offering to buy the social media platform.

The reality, according to internal Twitter (TWTR.N) research seen by Reuters, goes far beyond the handful of examples of celebrities ghosting their own accounts. Twitter is struggling to keep its most active users - who are vital to the business - engaged, underscoring a challenge faced by the Tesla (TSLA.O) chief executive as he approaches a deadline to close his $44 billion deal to buy the company.

These "heavy tweeters" account for less than 10% of monthly overall users but generate 90% of all tweets and half of global revenue. Heavy tweeters have been in "absolute decline" since the pandemic began, a Twitter researcher wrote in an internal document titled “Where did the Tweeters Go?”

https://www.outlookindia.com/business/where-did-the-tweeters-go-docs-show-rapid-decline-in-active-twitter-users--news-232696

https://www.wionews.com/world/where-did-the-tweeters-go-twitter-is-losing-its-most-active-users-report-suggests-528400

https://gizmodo.com/twitter-losing-heavy-tweeters-as-elon-acquisition-looms-1849701365

https://canadatoday.news/ca/exclusive-where-did-the-tweeters-go-twitter-loses-its-most-active-users-internal-documents-121890/

• Like 1

Looks like Musk is pigging out on humble pie:

The Six Biggest Takeaways From Musk’s Groveling Call With Twitter Advertisers

Amid a mass exodus of advertisers, “Chief Twit” Elon Musk took to his newly purchased social media platform on Wednesday to assure companies that Twitter will remain a safe space for their brands. In an hour-long livestream, known as a “Twitter Space,” Musk cajoled advertisers with promises of robust content moderation and account verification practices. The billionaire faces a formidable challenge: shoring up Twitter’s revenues without alienating the highly vocal band of right-wing users who initially celebrated the acquisition.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-six-biggest-takeaways-from-elon-musks-groveling-call-with-twitter-advertisers

Musk fans should note his "promises of robust moderation".

Edited by Scott
  • Like 2