Why is the UK struggling more than other countries?

Scott

23 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Thanks for the advice. But if median income has fallen by 18%, where does that leave people on the wrong side of the bell curve?

We all  have to make cut backs .

Today is the first non freezing non rainy day for about three weeks and I have just hung my washing out on the washing line, rather than use the tumble dryer .

That's my 18 % cutback for the day

35 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Regardless of income distribution, if you are spending too much it's time to cut down on non essentials.

People who can’t afford to eat regular meals or heat their homes are being joined now by people who can’t afford to pay their mortgages.

So which essentials are you referring to?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

People who can’t afford to eat regular meals or heat their homes are being joined now by people who can’t afford to pay their mortgages.

So which essentials are you referring to?

Welcome back Chomper.

Do try to keep up.

12 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

But don't you see how replying to a statistic about poverty with "but I was in the supermarket and there were queues" is irrelevant and is merely deflecting from answering the question (which is commonly accepted here as being your default setting).

Well, I am quite sure that it wasn't just the supermarket that I went to which was full of shoppers and its the same up and down the Country in all the supermarkets and you was making the suggestion that people are starving in the UK and needing money from a number 1 single in the charts to be able to eat

57 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

It is. Personal anecdotes are not research based information and on a forum such as this are to be doubted as they cannot be supported by factual evidence. 

Nothing, but I can see why you would like to imply that is the case.

So much easier than refuting research based facts eh…

Fair call I sometimes think you and me could never agree but would be an interesting meet up for a coffee and chat. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Due to climate change, the powers that be would like people to reduce their consumption.

Many people don't believe in climate change and/or don't give a <deleted> about climate change.

No one like to downgrade their life.

Unless external forces come in and you're forced to ... such as inflation.

But another external force that may force some people to downgrade their lives in the future is AI/Automation/Robots.

Some people who make 80K per year may be replaced by AI and may struggle to find another job that pays 80K/year.

8 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

So are you saying that people don't need to use food banks, food bank dependency hasn't increased 14% since pre-Covid, and that poverty isn't increasing? 

In my opinion the question as not about whether there is or isn't poverty in UK. There clearly is, as there is in many countries around the world.

For me, the question should very.Why?

Sure, some people have hard knocks, bad luck or get let down. However, I still believe many problems are self inflicted.

The government do help, contrary to some opinions on here. Public spending on benefits and support is huge. 

Some just simply can't stop spending when things are good, as they were prior to Covid. What ever happened to "saving for a rainy day"?. Sadly it's raining and many people didn't save.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

We all  have to make cut backs .

Today is the first non freezing non rainy day for about three weeks and I have just hung my washing out on the washing line, rather than use the tumble dryer .

That's my 18 % cutback for the day

Let's hope it doesn't freeze again. I can remember my pants waving stiffly in a cold wind on a washing line, one severe UK winter, a bit like the air brakes of a 747 on finals. Merry Christmas! 

Lucky those new trade deals are now in effect...oh wait a minute

Britain won’t easily replace what it has lost by forfeiting unfettered access to the world’s largest trading bloc.

The only substantive new trade deals it has struck since exiting the European Union, which did not simply roll over the deals it had as an EU member, have been with Australia and New Zealand. By the government’s own estimate, these will have a negligible impact on the UK economy, increasing GDP in the long run by just 0.1% and 0.03% respectively.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/12/24/economy/brexit-uk-economy/index.html

For those of you who don't want to bother to do the math 0.1% = 1/1000. 0.03% = 3/10000

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

Lucky those new trade deals are now in effect...oh wait a minute

Britain won’t easily replace what it has lost by forfeiting unfettered access to the world’s largest trading bloc.

The only substantive new trade deals it has struck since exiting the European Union, which did not simply roll over the deals it had as an EU member, have been with Australia and New Zealand. By the government’s own estimate, these will have a negligible impact on the UK economy, increasing GDP in the long run by just 0.1% and 0.03% respectively.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/12/24/economy/brexit-uk-economy/index.html

For those of you who don't want to bother to do the math 0.1% = 1/1000. 0.03% = 3/10000

That is one way of looking at it from a reporters view.

Here are the facts which state the UK has trade deals with 97 Countries and ongoing talks with various other Countries 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_agreements_of_the_United_Kingdom

3 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That is one way of looking at it from a reporters view.

Here are the facts which state the UK has trade deals with 97 Countries and ongoing talks with various other Countries 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_agreements_of_the_United_Kingdom

Actually, it was the government's view. And which of those agreements is anything but a continuation of the deals the UK had with other countries when it was a member of the EU?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Well, I am quite sure that it wasn't just the supermarket that I went to which was full of shoppers and its the same up and down the Country in all the supermarkets and you was making the suggestion that people are starving in the UK and needing money from a number 1 single in the charts to be able to eat

You’ve obviously been very busy visiting all the supermarkets.

So much easier to check what the UK’s Rowntree Foundation have to say:

https://www.westyorks-ca.gov.uk/all-news-and-blogs/the-joseph-rowntree-foundation-uk-poverty-2022-report/

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Actually, it was the government's view. And which of those agreements is anything but a continuation of the deals the UK had with other countries when it was a member of the EU?

The article you posted really should have made it clear that the two "new" trade deals have been added to the other 95 trade deals already in place

13 hours ago, owl sees all said:

One reason.

Lack of debate on MSM.

If there had been freedom of the press, open and balanced debate on MSM, then covid would not have get started, the climate change saga would have been demolished and we definitely would not be fighting the Ruskies.

Then England would not be suffering at all.

Looking forward to the King addressing the nation later on today. He seems to be doing OK. And his son.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, there are poor people, always have been and always will be , why do some people concentrate so much on the poorer people ?

Its like some people enjoy surrounding themselves in misery 

A lot of poor people seem to have plenty of money to buy cigarettes and  booze. I live with a load of young unemployed people ( strangely they seem capable of work but choose not to, even though plenty of unskilled jobs locally available ). Never short of a can of booze or a ciggie. Nice life though- party on.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

A lot of poor people seem to have plenty of money to buy cigarettes and  booze. I live with a load of young unemployed people ( strangely they seem capable of work but choose not to, even though plenty of unskilled jobs locally available ). Never short of a can of booze or a ciggie. Nice life though- party on.

More alleged life anecdotes being posted as research based evidence. You two should form a club. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The UK's struggling car industry, brexit problems again means ministers cars from the EU.

“Twelve years of Tory instability and uncertainty has left our car industry suffering,” said Jonathan Reynolds, Labour’s shadow business secretary.

“UK car manufacturing output is less than half the level it was six years ago – a truly harrowing situation for a hard-working industry which deserves better.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/uk-ministerial-government-cars-made-in-germany-audi-b2250544.html

What else would an opposition politician say.

If the car industry can't sell cars it's could be for any number of reasons eg they are rubbish or too expensive.

• Like 1