Trump calls for the termination of the Constitution in Truth Social post

Scott

1 minute ago, JCauto said:

Just out of curiousity, what did you like about him as President? 

Good economy.

Low inflation

Low unemployment, especially for minorities

Moved US embassy to Jerusalem from Tel Aviv

Abraham Accords, bringing some peace to the Middle East

Sentencing reform to make the criminal justice system more fair

Encouraging energy production

Cheap gas

Finally talking with North Korea

No new wars

Killing terrorists who needed killing, like al Bagdhadi and General Solemani (sp)

Trying to tackle illegal immigration

9 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Thanks for the reasonable reply. While I don't agree with his policies, at least you have provided a basis to do so if one has that political view.

Yeah, God forbid we be reasonable! 

I can see why people wanted Biden in 2020 as well, to be honest.  Trump is/was exhausting.  Still, the case can be made that, without Covid, he would have won re-election.   I think the exhaustion factor, the fear of the pandemic, prompted people to choose who they thought was more experienced and more reasonable.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Sen. Mitt Romney (R-UT) borrowed one of Donald Trump's favorite insults to needle him on Monday after his rant declaring the Constitution of the United States be terminated so he could be president after losing in 2020.

“Well, the Republican Party is the Constitution party,” Romney told Capitol Hill reporters, the Huffington Post reported Monday. “So when he calls to suspend the Constitution, he goes from being MAGA to being RINO.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donald-trump-constitution-romney_n_638e7f31e4b09eeedba0222f

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Trump had almost nothing to do with most of these things you listed.  Two of his most significant "accomplishments" were the huge corporate tax cut bill and the appointment of judges.  The tax cut bill was the work of Paul Ryan and the Republicans in the Congress, while the judges was all Mitch McConnell and the Federalist Society.  All Trump did was sign where he was told to sign.  A trained monkey can do that. 

One thing Trump did do well during his time in office was emboldened the racists and bigots.  He did that all on his own.

Interesting that you said nothing about the list I provided, then went on to provide your OWN two examples- which you then proceeded to dismiss.  Ever look up "straw man" in the dictionary?

Plus a bit of detail on which "racists and bigots" were "emboldened" would be appreciated.  Plus, what exactly do you mean by "emboldened" and what specific impact did it have?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

Trump floated a trial balloon to see what his base thought about suspending the Constitution based on his lies about election fraud.  It didn't go over as well as he hoped, so he's back-tracking.

Probably true. He is so predictable. The man is devoid of strategy further than his moods and whims. He just react to what's right in front of him. He is not playing a complicated four dimensional game of chess but more like a simple game of checkers. He is certainly not Presidential quality. US wasted 4 years under him. 

Edited by Eric Loh
wrong word
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Well let's see...Oath Keepers, and the Proud Boys to start, and then the New Orleans incident and winding down with Janyary 6th...emboldened and egged on...

"...and I don't mean the neo-Nazis and white supremacists. They should be condemned totally"

"I condemn all types of racism and acts of violence"

"I condemn the KKK. I condem all white supremacists. I condemn the Proud Boys."

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Great you covered most of it, here's one of the etc's..........

Trump was implying that he caused these low African-American and Hispanic unemployment rates.

And a big problem with that claim is that those rates had been falling for long before Trump took office, and their declines don't appear to have picked up speed. This implies that there's nothing specific that Trump did to change this rate.

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/08/576552028/fact-check-trump-touts-low-unemployment-rates-for-african-americans-hispanics

Declines DONT pick up speed once they are approaching zero.  This is basic economics. It is easier to go from 10% unemployment to 8% (a 2% drop) than from 4% to 2% (also a 2% drop).  The recovery under Obama was slow and finally picking up a bit of steam in his last 2 years in office. Trump continued the trends and things got even better.  Ditto for energy production.  The Trump years (until covid) were GOOD years for the economy. The stock market also was rocketing upwards, making anyone who is an investor or a pension holder very happy. 

But there really is no reason to keep rehashing the past.  Another poster asked a question, I answered, and we had a genial exchange.  No need to allow your T D S to keep you on the attack.   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Declines DONT pick up speed once they are approaching zero.  This is basic economics. It is easier to go from 10% unemployment to 8% (a 2% drop) than from 4% to 2% (also a 2% drop).  The recovery under Obama was slow and finally picking up a bit of steam in his last 2 years in office. Trump continued the trends and things got even better.  Ditto for energy production.  The Trump years (until covid) were GOOD years for the economy. The stock market also was rocketing upwards, making anyone who is an investor or a pension holder very happy. 

But there really is no reason to keep rehashing the past.  Another poster asked a question, I answered, and we had a genial exchange.  No need to allow your T D S to keep you on the attack.   

No attack just a reasonable response that adds context to Trumps claims as highlighted in the article

• Like 2

On 12/5/2022 at 5:44 PM, Skallywag said:

Off topic, but funny to me is when Trump announced he is running for president, no one questioned it and asked to see the filing or the names of his campaign committee and other requirements. 

Yes he did it before, but now much more difficult to get a campaign manager etc... 

None of those things are automatic.  So in reality, like his tax returns, no one has seen the paperwork he supposedly filed to begin another run for President...   He just goes on TV and announces it like he has the "right" to run again  5555

Yes, he does have a right to run, just like any American born citizen.

Are you saying that only your approved citizens should be allowed to do so?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, candide said:

Good economy: inherited from Obama

Low inflation and cheap gas: global context was low inflation and cheap gas worldwide

Moved US embassy: increased Palestinians resentment, did not help peace

Abraham accord: these countries were not at war or conflict, avoided the main issue (Palestinians)

Sentencing reform: ok

Encourage energy production: started by Obama in 2008

Talking with North Korea: He's been manipulated by Kim

Etc...

I can agree with you on Trump's record on Israel.

On 12/5/2022 at 11:16 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

The U.K

Hardly anything at all TBH

The U.K 

No, a normal Western Style democracy 

I'm not sure where (or if) you learned about the UK and its political system but if you think the UK doesn't have a constitution, then I'm afraid you've fallen for a common myth.

As the document linked to below on the UK parliamentary website (www.parliament.uk) points out, although it is not codified into a single, written document, the UK does in fact, have a constitution:

The United Kingdom constitution is composed of the laws and rules that create the institutions of the state, regulate the relationships between those institutions, or regulate the relationship between the state and the individual.

The UK Constitution

I have a good friend here who used to be a lawyer in the UK before she retired and she is fond of pointing out when people bring up this canard, she actually spent most of her legal career working on UK constitutional law. Which as she says, would have been a little difficult to do if it didn't have one.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I'm not sure where (or if) you learned about the UK and its political system but if you think the UK doesn't have a constitution, then I'm afraid you've fallen for a common myth.

As the document linked to below on the UK parliamentary website (www.parliament.uk) points out, although it is not codified into a single, written document, the UK does in fact, have a constitution:

The UK Constitution

I have a good friend here who used to be a lawyer in the UK before she retired and she is fond of pointing out when people bring up this canard, she actually spent most of her time working on UK constitutional law. Which as she says, would have been a little difficult to do if it didn't have one.

I did mean that the UK doesn't have a a Constitution that is similar to the USA's

• Thanks 1