Bank, staff and daughter ordered to return 200 MB to grandmother - a wake up call to banks not to trust their staff, says lawyer

webfact

5 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

the banks have always been good at that they apply charges to the accounts for the slightest thing and don't give interest on the balance.

You expect banks to work and provide a service for free? Really? Any other business you expect that from as well?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Yes i agree with you. I have to say when it comes to money blood is definitely thicker than water. I have never known such an obsessed nation so obsessed with money. From the taxi driver asking how much your salary is to the middle classes never satisfied with what they have. 

I won a million baht, why wasn't it 10 million.  For a Buddhist country which is not supposedly meant to be obsessed with money, the reality is very different . My faith in Buddhism was shattered when I saw a monk with 3 iPhone's. I have seen countless other incidents which shows that it is quite a farce.

No doubt the apologists will be here to defend this but from my opinion of 20 years within Thailand, when it comes to money many people have little morals. This story just highlights this and confirms what I have seen and know.

Dead right and spot on...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 2baht said:

banks, now the worm has turned, banks rob customers!

Bankers have always become rich by screwing customers “legally.” Nothing new about that. This time the customer’s family organized the theft and did it crudely. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Screaming said:

Thailand is a corrupt third world country where you can trust no one, not even your Thai wife. So beware.

Here is the list of the most expensive divorces. I've never been married in my life for good reasons... And I've never understood why people do that. But of course if their partner is very rich... Or maybe visa problems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_divorces#:~:text=Jeff Bezos's divorce in,(%246.2 billion inflation adjusted).

I feel for her  dreadful family involved Thats Greed world over not just Thailand " l was scammed by Kasikorn Bank Na Klua branch Pattaya told this is  investment acc 300000 baht k yep l put start 300k with  thanks to however i did not put more lot of persuasion pressed on me to do so ???? ends upno investment  account at all just spin 2 to 10 years was up to me so said 2 years you make this amount in increased if you 10 years wow was varely good on paper 555 <deleted> l was ! Still little sceptical my thought its bank probably be ok !! How wrong l was rechecked  so called inestment account crikey all the money gone ?? holy S   flew back to Bangkok going on holiday anyway finally after police reports and 1 Bank manager Kasikorn bank near soi 4 looked into After 2 weeks recovered back 1500000 baht  she said this looks like fraud not investment account ! its insurance policy while you live & stay in Thailand   told her ! been back in Australia wworking why would i want iinsurance to stay Thailand My proof passport lost 1 year 150000k baht due to fact 50 % time was in Thailand 2016 /17 . 2018 was not she said sorry what Pattaya branch did unethical could not get 50% of my other money back ! so called investment acc in realty unealthical bank poilcy sscam ran by  staff ran  at thay particular branch Kasikorn bank Na Klua actually tried to get go & sign up put 5 years in ! greedy staff all in on it  Commission % Decided No. Long story short lost 150k recovered 150000k back ! On insurance scam 3 months after my ordeal bank was busted right open  made news in  Australia ends 100s of foreigners + some with Thai wives were all duped same branch  this scam  insurance ! not investment  account how Bank spun it in Pattaya was very pushy and yes looked attractive  retuns if you put 10 years in , Even made Australian TV All these foreigners at Main Pattaya police station   Aussie TV certainly gave clear warning about Thai banks not all some have unscrupulous yactics As Aussie  be aware lot of these people lost Quiet  lot of money , l Still have bank account with Kasikorn koh samui active very little goes in there just incase venture back for holiday All rest transferred back to Australian bank what lot paper work Kasikorn international bank gave me hell ! in the end was allowed to send 650000k back one time only ! Nod and wink manager in BKK Said use your Atm in Australia withdrawal out no paper work thats what i did , l will never again leave large amounts of money in Thai bank.

Edited by Mad mick
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

This was a civil, not criminal case, there are no sentences due, nor judgements of guilt, just a court order.  

Yes that understood civil but was there any criminal charges prior or after to the act. 

Money was order to be repaid but the act is criminal the question did they just let it go? 

I absolutely agree with those here about the Thai obsession with money. I've yet to see a people so focused on money. Many poorer countries have far better financial morals. Unfortunately! 

I still love Thailand, btw, or I wouldn't be living here!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Joseph98765 said:

every single thing here is about money, true... even the girls who are with 75 years old men and when they are having a meal she even don't look at his face (playing with her new iPhone that he bought ) when he is talking..but when the bill comes...she pass it to him.

I don't normally do this but I see this in the uk well I mean couples sitting in restraurants playing on their phones and not making eye contact or talking. The bitterness about older men with young wives or girlfriends is shocking on here. Thai women look at love differently than western women. Being loved, loyalty, and respected are top of their list, money is further down that priority list. In any country any woman who looks at the size of a man's bank balance are always bad news and often have an eye always open for better pickings and this is not just a thai thing.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why do you disparagingly condemn those who may have a different opinion (based on their experiences) to your opinion as being "apologists"?  What is that all about?

Just what I was thinking. 

"I'm miserable in Thailand because I don't integrate into society, and to make me feel a little better, I bash the Thais. If you want to tell me I'm wrong, you are an apologist" ????

Self-righteous indignation to the max. 

4 hours ago, Spock said:

Doesn't say much for your daughter's school director, your boss or the morality of people who put social ties ahead of honesty.

The director was in court recently accused of giving 40 million baht to 12 people in the Ministry of Education. 

They were found guilty and given jail sentences, the director was acquitted. 

Not wise to mess with these people in a small Thai city. 

• Like 1

A post with a link to the Bangkok Post has been removed:

16. The Bangkok Post, Khaosod, Pattaya Mail, Phuket News and the Thaiger do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on ASEAN NOW. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to the Bangkok Post, Khaosod, Pattaya Mail, Phuket News and the Thaiger publications will be deleted from the forum. These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not by ASEAN NOW. In rare cases, forum administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

1 minute ago, Greenhill said:

I'd love to know where all that money came from????

Why, you think it was ill gotten gains and the old woman never earned it or it's probably old family money as the family is Thai/Chinese 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You expect banks to work and provide a service for free? Really? Any other business you expect that from as well?

The banks do get your hard earned savings for free and loan out for a 500 percent gross profit at a minimum .

Sadly I expect the same gauging  from private hospitals since you ask .

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, itsari said:

The banks do get your hard earned savings for free and loan out for a 500 percent gross profit at a minimum .

Sadly I expect the same gauging  from private hospitals since you ask .

Banks usually pay interest on your savings and they lend that money of for a few percent higher than the interest they pay you .

Pay you 1 % and lend out at 4 % 

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

Banks usually pay interest on your savings and they lend that money of for a few percent higher than the interest they pay you .

Pay you 1 % and lend out at 4 % 

Don't forget the 15 percent on credit cards.

My 500 percent gross profit is not so far off

10 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

the banks have always been good at that they apply charges to the accounts for the slightest thing and don't give interest on the balance.

Never had an account with a bank in Thailand that didn't pay interest. Maybe the staff are stealing the interest payments?????

8 hours ago, Neeranam said:

nanny?

It's a grandmother.

It can be either.

The word amah may have originated from the Arabic: أَمَةٌ, romanizedʾamah meaning "female slave" or from the Portuguese ama meaning "nurse".[6] Some however argued that it is the English form of the Chinese word ah mah. Ah (; ā) is a common Chinese prefix used before monosyllabic names or kinship terms to indicate familiarity, and mah (; ; ) means "mother". Others say that the word originated from the term for a wet nurse, nai mah (奶妈; 奶媽; nǎimā; 'milk mother').[7] This word is common in East Asia, Southeast Asia and South Asia to denote a maidservant or nursemaid.[8]

Variants such as Amah-chieh or mahjeh (; jiě means elder sister in Chinese dialects) have also been used in some countries.[6][7] In China, amah may even refer to any old lady in general. In Taiwan and southeastern China where the Minnan language is spoken, amah (Chinese: 阿媽; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: a‑má) refers to the paternal grandmother. Similar terms in the same context include ah-yee (Chinese: 阿姨; pinyin: āyí; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: a‑î; lit. 'aunt'), yee-yee (aunt), or jie-jie (elder sister). Since the mid-1990s, it has become more politically correct in some circles to call such a person a 'helper' rather than a maid or ayah.

13 hours ago, 2baht said:

Yes, there was a time when crooks robbed banks, now the worm has turned, banks rob customers!

I feel sorry for the bank staff.  I am willing to be that the daughter gave them a song and dance about needing access so that she could help her aging sick mom and the staff were naive enough to fall for it.  

There is a reason tht athere are rules and procedures in business.

This is what happens when they are not followed.

Sorry can not help but see the manager if you want should have been the answer.

Then let the manager swing.

1 hour ago, Damrongsak said:

It can be either.

The word amah may have originated from the Arabic: أَمَةٌ, romanizedʾamah meaning "female slave" or from the Portuguese ama meaning "nurse".[6] Some however argued that it is the English form of the Chinese word ah mah. Ah (; ā) is a common Chinese prefix used before monosyllabic names or kinship terms to indicate familiarity, and mah (; ; ) means "mother". Others say that the word originated from the term for a wet nurse, nai mah (奶妈; 奶媽; nǎimā; 'milk mother').[7] This word is common in East Asia, Southeast Asia and South Asia to denote a maidservant or nursemaid.[8]

Variants such as Amah-chieh or mahjeh (; jiě means elder sister in Chinese dialects) have also been used in some countries.[6][7] In China, amah may even refer to any old lady in general. In Taiwan and southeastern China where the Minnan language is spoken, amah (Chinese: 阿媽; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: a‑má) refers to the paternal grandmother. Similar terms in the same context include ah-yee (Chinese: 阿姨; pinyin: āyí; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: a‑î; lit. 'aunt'), yee-yee (aunt), or jie-jie (elder sister). Since the mid-1990s, it has become more politically correct in some circles to call such a person a 'helper' rather than a maid or ayah.

No it can't. It's from Chinese , not Arabic or Portuguese. It's an honorific for elderly Thai women of Chinese heritage, never a maid or nanny.