Horrific death of 11 in passenger van crash in Thailand

webfact

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

We don't know what happened. But it was unlikely it happened from a blown tire or a faulty van. It was most likely either driver error, driver inattention or recklessness, driving too fast, or it was caused by another crazy driver. The highways here are insane and beyond dangerous. The skill set of the average driver is not impressive.

One has to feel for all the families that will be impacted by what may turn out to be a senseless and avoidable tragedy. I use mini vans as infrequently as I have to, and have felt like asking a driver to just stop and let me off, on many occasions, when they are tailgating or driving mindlessly. May do just that in the future. Not worth the risk of death. 

I went on one of these once and the idiot driver was tailgating behind a vehicle he couldn’t see around. An accident waiting to happen. Never again for me. Personally a big bus is a safer option, mainly because if it crashes it’s more survivable with all that metal around us. Also in minivans you end up with your luggage on your lap, and not much room.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I remember back than when a long-haul bus used to have a replacement's driver whereby, they could alternate between them so such calamities will not occur, , what happened to this system?..

He'd be taking up a fare paying passengers seat I suppose.

7 minutes ago, digbeth said:

after many deaths years ago
these vans are supposed to have GPS speed controller that would alert the authorities the moment the van went over the limit

Every vehicle, apart from emergency ones, should be fixed so they can't travel at more than 50kph. I know for a fact that it's possible, as I once drove a hire car in the US where the speed limit was 55mph and on a long straight empty road I decided to put my foot down. The car refused to go over that speed.

I have no idea why Thais, who are supposed to be such a laid-back people, almost universally drive so fast, often dangerously so.

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, cardinalblue said:

The problems are cognitive (learning/obeying rules) and attitude (aggressive and selfish)

Thai's are reckless lunatics behind the wheel. I watch them everyday make impatient decisions on the road that given slightly different circumstances beyond their control would result in a fatal crash (like overtaking on the wrong side of a road around a blind turn).  Thai's are either oblivious (cognitive problems) or too reckless and selfish to have any regard for the potential loss of life.

No amount of education can fix what's broken here.

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

We don't know what happened. But it was unlikely it happened from a blown tire or a faulty van. It was most likely either driver error, driver inattention or recklessness, driving too fast, or it was caused by another crazy driver. The highways here are insane and beyond dangerous. The skill set of the average driver is not impressive.

One has to feel for all the families that will be impacted by what may turn out to be a senseless and avoidable tragedy. I use mini vans as infrequently as I have to, and have felt like asking a driver to just stop and let me off, on many occasions, when they are tailgating or driving mindlessly. May do just that in the future. Not worth the risk of death. 

No, just don't get in one. Pay more and plan better to not leave that as the only option.

• Like 1

I find it surprising that there seems to be frequent accidents where cars catch fire after a collision in Thailand and yet modern cars have so many safety features built in to them to prevent this. In Europe there have been rare incidents of fire but not due to accidents, usually spontaneous engine combustion due to an electrical fault but not due to a collision, could be due to using gas instead of petrol but they are supposed to be safe if properly installed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

I'm not sure it's about physical driving skills which are generally good in Thailand. In my opinion it's more about lack of concentration, tiredness leading to sleep, drink and drugs.

Yes, agree on your opinion for this tragic lost of lives, so sad and devastating for all the families of the deceased involved. 

I'm not sure it's about physical driving skills which are generally good in Thailand.

But really, According to data revealed by ThaiRSC on Friday, road accidents claimed 14,737 lives and injured 924,799 in Thailand last year (2022). Of them, 536 deaths and 7,885 injuries were foreigners.

You need to get out on the actual highways more often to see how these crazy morons are out there trying to kill themselves and anyone else around them.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Everything you say is correct. Check out this channel with hours of footage from Thailand for proof.

the clip at 3:56 tells the story of driving in thailand. my brain hurts from what actually happened there. 

12 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I find it surprising that there seems to be frequent accidents where cars catch fire after a collision in Thailand and yet modern cars have so many safety features built in to them to prevent this. In Europe there have been rare incidents of fire but not due to accidents, usually spontaneous engine combustion due to an electrical fault but not due to a collision, could be due to using gas instead of petrol but they are supposed to be safe if properly installed.

I suspect that the last three words that you said are the main problem here...

Last Mini Van trip less than a year ago and I sat in the middle almost front row.  Guy is 10 to 15 feet off all the cars he gets behind, weaving through all the lanes in race car driver for 2 hours.  Told girlfriend never again.  Take big bus now during the day, slower and the ones I use seem to drive a lot safer.

46 minutes ago, stoner said:

what thailand do you live in ?

the vast majority of thai are incapable of driving in general. this is backed up by the brutal stats here. they are among the worst in the world.

they lack the critical thinking skills and judgement needed to operate motor vehicles. no fault of their own. its the society and system here that had made this issue. 

I have to agree with this post. I have 33 years experience of driving here. If anything, it has gotten a lot worse now than it was in the 90's.

Just yesterday, I was heading along Sukhumvit from Jomtien into Pattaya and someone in a new Civic RS tried to cut in at the Thepprasit lights from the right turn lane to skip waiting in the queue. 

I did not let them in and bipped the horn very briefly to indicate that I was not going to give way and not to pull out in front of me.

This must have angered the cretin behind the wheel as they then drove erratically and agressively behind me, tailgating, weaving in and out of busy traffic in an attempt to pass me (I was in the outside lane and cruising at 70km/h).

Ultimately they failed and lost face by trying to undetake four lanes of traffic and being stuck miles behind.

I often ask myself, "what is wrong with these people?"

This is anecdotal but I experience this stuff daily!

Some of them lack maturity and are emotionally unstable. I'm sure a proper competence assessment programme for drivers and motorcycle riders here would disqualify at least half of those currently on the roads. Cognitive testing would surely eliminate many more. However, as we know, the Thais are completely unable and unwilling to do anything about this issue.

RIP to those that lost their lives in this latest incident, and condolences to the families that will be left to pick up the pieces.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, digbeth said:

they were allowed to continue

Digbeth, I'm interested in this particular topic. Do you know if they were allowed to continue indefinitely or if they were just given a postponed deadline? Do you happen to know when this decision was taken? Can you indicate any official source by any chance? Thank you.

2 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

The problems are cognitive (learning/obeying rules) and attitude (aggressive and selfish)

Thailand society is dictated by virtue not by rules/laws and is family oriented so if you are not in their vehicle you are not family.

Simple as...

3 hours ago, kwilco said:

It seems to be open day for making assumptions about what happened.

Whatever the driver did or didn't do, you have to question the safety of road conditions and the vehicle when a rash results in explosion and this amount of damage to the vehicle.

Yes it does, doesn't it? Including you who is assuming that questioning the safety of road conditions and vehicles will result in that actually happening - which you already know, will not happen.

All the posts prior to yours are absolutely accurate in their 'possible' assumptions, because they all understand and have experienced - sometimes first hand, what it is like on Thailand's roads. 

I too have experienced that in my 17 years of driving here on Thailand's roads from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, Isaan or to Hua Hin at least every year, if not more often on particular occasions, distances of almost a 6-8 hundred Kms each way, and by any one of at least 4 different routes. It's all the same!

Every trip is a nightmare of near-misses, crazy driving, reckless speeding, avoiding incompetent and careless, drunk, or seemingly sleepy drivers wherever you drive and more. Everything said here resonates quite clearly of my own experiences - they are all possibilities.

• Like 1

It has little to do with vans or the roads. It is the drivers. 

It is little to do with skill, either. Reckless drivers, speeding, simply not taking due care and attention and so it goes on - the focus should be on the Drivers. 

RIP those poor people and the aftermath relatives and friends have to live with. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

LPG vehicle I believe.... sometimes they have been converted by a dodgy/non-certified place too. I have reservations wrt modern cars ,having seen how damaged batteries can also ignite. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, digbeth said:

Something were done about it

the death trap coffin vans were supposed to be replaced with 22 seater minibus but after much protest from existing operator they were allowed to continue

Same as something was done about the hand-built, double-decker, death-trap coffin buses that were supposed to conform to a standard, safe design and only be built at registered, inspected and approved factories under these new, strict guidelines.

Then I woke up...