Thailand welcomes Russian refugees

webfact

21 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

The confusing OP seems to suggest an extradition treaty with Russia.  Doesn't that imply a lot of the so called refugees are soon to be extradited back to Russia when requested by Putin?

I posted this earlier, but here it is again. Up til the end of 2022, Thailand hardly featured as a destination. There are better places to look if Putin was really intent on hunting down traitors, aka those who would rather live a decent life than die a miserable death fighting his imbecilic war.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_emigration_following_the_invasion_of_Ukraine_(2022–present)

13 hours ago, Emeraldisle said:

How can these Russians be refugees?

They are either draft dodgers , criminals or Russian Mafia... 

Draft dodgers are considered anti-war dissidents in Russia, which results in long jail terms prosecution, that's why they could be considered refugees in democratic countries... 

A post with a link to a disallowed source and the replies have been removed.

A post soliciting for donations has been removed:

34. Members are forbidden to solicit, ask for or accept donations, gifts or commissions from other members unless prior approval has been given by ASEAN NOW management. Charities and Foundations must contact support for approval before joining for approval of your forum membership. Email support (at) aseannow.com

And some off topic posts and the replies have been removed.

1 hour ago, Operator2002 said:

Draft dodgers are considered anti-war dissidents in Russia, which results in long jail terms prosecution, that's why they could be considered refugees in democratic countries... 

They are breaking their own law,  Russian law. They are nothing but draft dodgers and  should be seen as fugitives from justice, Their own justice!  They should be extradited

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I couldn't make any sense out of the original OP  but it has been kind of reissued (now at the bottom of page 3 for anyone else who missed it)

The first OP was obviously posted in error and appeared incomplete and almost nonsensical, to me it appeared to be an article about  Thailand welcoming these Russians 

Fortunately since they posted what is presumably the updated version,  It now appears that the opposite is true, and that preparations are  currently underway to remove at least some of them. Might even include a few oligarch types if there are any here and Putin wants them back

Could be somewhat unfortunate for some who  have bought property  Oh dear!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hotchilli said:

All the young Russians that have escaped the front-line have to make money to fund their stay in Thailand... just how do you think they're going to do that?

No marriage visa, no retirement visa, no work permit and limited funds?

Russians will do what Russians do, turn to crime to make money.

The overwhelming majority of Russians I'm seeing on tinder are all from mockba. So they have money backgrounds and are likely funded by family to escape to not get mobilized. Life here is cheap not just for the budget Russian travelers who came pre war but especially for the wealthy from capital cities just looking to escape. 

• Thumbs Up 2

20 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

Thanks for an example of how payed pro-Kremlin trolls work.

To non Russian readers: There are a lot of propaganda sponsored posts like this on Russian message boards and Telegram chats.

You can sort of think of it as facts being completely opposite to what he says. Black becomes white, dark becomes bright and so on.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, les1 said:

As long as they are not in the front line they couldn't care less about the killing & suffering in Ukraine believe me. They generally are a nation of bloody crooks & nasty people. As for Thailand as long as there is money in it they couldn't care either.

Centuries of cruelty, slavery, violence, poverty and despair have unfortunately ruined the Russian soul.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

What a bizarre thread. The article mentions nothing of refugees, simply tourists and Russians buying and renting property in Thailand.

there’s mention at the beginning about a “pact”, no mention of what that it is, simply that it doesn’t need to be approved by Parliament.

what a waste of time reading it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, geisha said:

I have a question for Big Joke, who, by the way, I think is doing a fantastic job of getting rid of the worse elements of visitors to Thailand , and those who facilitate it. 
Why, is it so easy for the Russians to be welcomed into Thailand  when I have trouble getting a legal visa in my country because the process is so difficult and long ??  Is it only money that counts or what ? Is it because the Russians are buying up the long standing empty condos that nobody wants, what is the reason for wanting to create Russian ghettos and all the trouble that comes with it ?  

It is because they have a reciprocal/Bilateral Visa Exempt agreement.  Thais can enter Russia without a Visa. Not sure which country you come from. I doubt there is any desire to create Russian ghettoes any more than the West African ones found near Bangkok Sukhumvit. 

• Like 1

To call these people 'refugees' seems odd.  Prayuth has been cosying up to Putin for a while so whilst 'Thailand Welcomes Russian Refugess' - if his buddy Putin told him to send his citizens back, they'd all be heading home.

Can't take a chance on losing access to cheap oil can we>

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

Compared to what country????????????????????  Give me the list of the five best countries on Earth.   America owns every English speaking country, but controls almost every other country on Earth.   So you will either say Communist China (live there?) or some ridiculous country like Sweden.

lost its way???????????????????   every expat in Thailand has "lost the plot" so bad they shower in Singha beer.  

compared to itself my dear.. dont take it as attack against you peeps.. the country that the us was a few decades ago i cant see anymore....and its unfortunate

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

What a bizarre thread. The article mentions nothing of refugees, simply tourists and Russians buying and renting property in Thailand.

there’s mention at the beginning about a “pact”, no mention of what that it is, simply that it doesn’t need to be approved by Parliament.

what a waste of time reading it.

The article mentions alludes to Russians as refugees in the headline, and again in the article itself. It also claims 10s of thousands of Russians are evading conscription. It's a really poor piece of journalism all told. It mentions Al Jazeera as a source, but no links. Your comments though are even more misleading than the OP.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/16/2023 at 9:35 AM, JoseThailand said:

I am one of the Russian war refugees. Will be happy to answer your questions and bust some myths.

Which country do most Russian refugees support in this war? How are the Russians dealing with visa requirements to stay in Thailand? What is likely to happen to you when you go back?

On 3/16/2023 at 12:23 PM, Cricky said:

Yes, that would give the moaners and complainers something to moan and complain about. 

Yep and you can be rest assured that I for one would be among the first in line to complain.

On 3/16/2023 at 7:44 AM, JoseThailand said:
On 3/16/2023 at 6:45 AM, soalbundy said:

Where do these Russian refugees get the money to stay indefinitely in a foreign country

Surprise: They work online. A lot of them are actually working for their regular Russian employers. During the pandemic online work became the norm

Just because you and a couple of your Russian mates work online it does not say they all do. 

I'd say most are here struggling. 

Edited by Cricky

On 3/16/2023 at 11:46 AM, nchuckle said:

OK. "What have the Russians ever done for us..?" ???? 

Without Sputnik the USA would have never put such emphases on it's own space program. Thank the USSR for Tang and space blankets and trillions of dollars of debt.