Government Approves CAAT Plan to Tackle Soaring Ticket Prices

snoop1130

13 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Gen Prayut's last order hopefully before grounding ???? 

The article says it is an 'instruction '. Anutin is Acting Minister of Transport which might be more within his capability than Health. Nah.......forget it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) formulating a five-point strategy to solve the problems impeding the tourism industry’s recovery

So what exactly is the 5 point strategy because the quote I posted below is definitely not it.

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

During the meeting, the ministry presented the plan developed by CAAT that includes increasing ground-handling operators, relaxing certain rules, offering incentives for airlines, and implementing a subsidy policy to help airlines fly to less popular destinations in the country.

If less popular destinations are just that,less popular, why provide a subsidy to the airlines, just reduce the ticket prices to almost free, promote the locations and give vouchers to ALL travelers going there not just Thais.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Not in today's cheating profit-expanding world. 

Is it really cheating, or just profiteering to make up what they lost in the past few years. How does that compare to regular everyday people who cheat others.  Just my take on it. Normal people can never recoup what they have lost to the greed of corporations and whose money always stays the same as far as income goes.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

So that’s two people not understanding the basic rule of supply and demand…. ????‍♂️ 

In essence you're correct, yet with the supply on hand and few demands the prices should drop. It is not like there is currently a high demand for the travel to the less popular places as I Indicated above.

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/033115/how-does-law-supply-and-demand-affect-prices.asp#:~:text=It's a fundamental economic principle,services when demand is unchanged.

It's a fundamental economic principle that when supply exceeds demand for a good or service, prices fall. When demand exceeds supply, prices tend to rise. There is an inverse relationship between the supply and prices of goods and services when demand is unchanged.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Really? So if you put your house on the market and only 1 person is interested you’d expect to sell it for more than in the scenario where 6 people are clamoring to buy it ..?

Is that not the way things are done in Thailand for restaurants selling items or even shops? Less customers and prices are usually jacked up to make up for losses.

I understand what your saying I really do and I agree that's how it works in the real world. Yet this article is about Thailand. Above I posted an investopedia article and link. Tell me how in principal that this is how things are done here on Thailand. It's the inverse here as I see it, but then that's my humble opinion.

34 minutes ago, Pink Mist said:

That is how supply and demand normally works...

I'm obviously not very good at economics. The way I'm seeing it is as demand has gone up so has the price. I always thought it was that with Friedman or moneterist economics when demand goes down prices go up and as demand increases prices reduce. I'm probally wrong. Last couple of times I took a domestic flight the plane was pretty much full. Prices now are similar if not more than when planes were 1/2 empty due to covid regulations.

Edited by dinsdale

26 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

So that’s two people not understanding the basic rule of supply and demand…. ????‍♂️ 

Can you explain in general terms how supply and demand eally works in Thailand versus the rest of the world. Have you not seen the price increases when there is to much supply and low demand because of the prices. It seems to be a strange reversed way of thinking in the minds here.  If I had fewer customers and locations were not being flown to as they were not popular and I was loosing money, I would slash my prices to load up the plane, but not here prices have increased on many unpopular routes. The article points out to giving possible subsidies to the airlines, well why not subsidize the passengers with incentives and thus the need to subsidize the airlines would not be necessary. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1