Pattaya motorcycle taxi rider threatens to kill 2 foreigners over fare dispute

snoop1130

Bike Taxi Rider Threatens Foreign Tourists In Pattaya
by TNR Staff 

image.jpeg

AN ELDERLY motorcycle taxi rider chased two Hong Kong tourists with a fruit knife in Pattaya after a dispute broke out over the fare of a kilometre-long ride, Thai Rath newspaper said this afternoon (Apr. 14).

Mr. Worapon Naroj, 70, who is usually based in front of a condominium near Central Festival Pattaya shopping centre, told reporters that the two Hong Kong Chinese men asked for a ride to go enjoy Songkran in front of some beer bars in Soi 6, Second Pattaya road.

This distance is about a kilometre so he asked for 80 baht each, or 160 baht in all, and they agreed to it.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2023/04/14/bike-taxi-rider-threatens-foreign-tourists-in-pattaya/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2023-04-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Pattaya Motorcycle Taxi Rider Who Allegedly Threatened Passenger With a Knife Over 40 Baht Arrested
By Tanakorn Panyadee

image.jpeg

Pattaya — Pattaya Police yesterday arrested a Thai motorcycle taxi rider who allegedly threatened foreign passengers with a knife over a fare disagreement.

Around early evening yesterday, April 13th, police officers were notified of a man who appeared to be waving a knife at foreign tourists on Pattaya Second Road near Soi 6/1.

S__122044425.jpg

The man, aged about 50-60 years old, was wearing a distinctive orange motorcycle taxi uniform. He was recorded by pedestrians as he outrageously tried to assault two unidentified foreign men with a knife. Many people both Thai and foreign alike tried to stop him, according to a recording.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/04/14/pattaya-motorcycle-taxi-rider-who-allegedly-threatened-passenger-with-a-knife-over-40-baht-arrested/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2023-04-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

100 baht is not maybe £1, not even close. I slip them 50 baht for most rides and never have an issue...... chuck a few Thai words at them and they seem less avaricious. 

I meant the extra over the normal fare, probably 50 THB. After a 12 hour journey, why waste time arguing or haggling? It's 50 THB! It's Songkran. I'm tired. I got the last bus from BKK to Pattaya by minutes. I just wanted to get home. End of. Tot up the extra it costs you at the end of every month. Probably peanuts. I rarely take a Win.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

I would ask the farangs what was the price for the fare in the first place.Being pattaya maybe the driver was trying his luck maybe.I don,t know but showing a knife and saying i will kill you will not go down well  around town

Rather spoils the otherwise saintly image of the area.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You seem fixated on your circumstances, after a long trip. Not sure what that has to do with the events here.. were they perhaps on the same flight from Manila and ended up at soi 6/1?  Thais are known to get angry quite quickly if they feel they are being underpaid... that said, a few nationalities can also be quite cheap, and get heated if they feel they are being overchargedm after an agreed upon fare is doubled! The story is about him waving a knife about and threatening people with a stabbing. 

Yeah well, is that really a news story?

• Confused 2

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Worapol claimed that the passengers attempted to lower his fare to 40 baht per person, half of the originally agreed upon fare of 80 baht per person.

Yep, kill each one of them over 40 baht, life in the LOS is cheap.

Anyone have his number, he could become useful in the future ????