Pattaya motorcycle taxi rider threatens to kill 2 foreigners over fare dispute

snoop1130

16 hours ago, hioctane said:

The farangs probably didn’t know and thought he meant 80 baht total. Usually it is per person. That is why you always have to follow it up with “total?” when confirming the price.

They are not farangs, they are HK Chinese.

14 hours ago, garzhe said:

Should lose his taxi license but probably won't happen. Fine and a wai and back on the road with his red taxi jacket and probably his knife too.

Next time he will carry a bigger knife. 

17 hours ago, Spock said:

You slip them 50 baht as a tip! Hope you are going a long distance as that would be the amount I would pay the ride alone.

No, 50 baht is the standard fare I pay ride alone, usually not far, a km about. 

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

No, 50 baht is the standard fare I pay ride alone, usually not far, a km about. 

That sounds about right for the short hop from CF to Soi 6, for a single passenger in a bike. 80 baht for two on a bike would be reasonable. It’s not like there are no other bikes around with the Win doing them a favour by saving them from waiting a long time for another bike to come free. It’s literally just to make more money per trip for the ‘Win’. So a discount for two passengers on a bike should be offered. 160 baht is a blatant attempt at a ripoff. It’s a 1.1km journey. 

Edited by NextG

On 4/14/2023 at 10:34 PM, simon43 said:

[quote]

In his statement to the police, Worapol claimed that the passengers attempted to lower his fare to 40 baht per person, half of the originally agreed upon fare of 80 baht per person.

[/quote]

2 passengers?  The bike rider probably tried the old trick of saying '80 baht' when they asked the cost to the destination, but upon arriving at said destination the bike rider then says "that's 80 baht PER person".

So did the foreigners ask th very obvious question "Is that 80Baht for one person or 80Baht total for 2 people?"

Edited by scorecard
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Win fares are regulated by the Land Transport dept.

From this thread. 

"Land Transport Department fare regulations, which state:

Rides of two kilometers or less should not exceed 25 baht.

The third through fifth kilometer adds only 5 baht each to the fare.

Distances of more than five kilometers would remain negotiable.

Those overcharging will be subject to a 5,000 baht fine and/or a six-month suspension of their public-transport driving license."

There are laws, and then there are laws which are rarely enforced, which makes those laws superfluous. The taxi mafia remains above the law. Any and all laws. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

There are laws, and then there are laws which are rarely enforced, which makes those laws superfluous. The taxi mafia remains above the law. Any and all laws. 

I really cannot understand how this taxi mafia is so powerful. They all look poor and many are elderly.   Here in Pattaya they block public sidewalks with their chairs, tables, and umbrellas,  They urinate in public, many times have dirty or tattered clothing, vests that look 20 years old, and are simply not useful 90% of the time as people use Bolt or grab apps or take songthaews. (baht bus) 

Public sidewalks are for the public, not illegal hangouts for these guys.  Wheelchairs and people pushing strollers have to go out into the streets to get past these hangouts many times.  How is that good for tourism or the general public? 

Do they even have a licence to carry passengers?  Special insurance?  In America you have to take a special test and get a special licence and proper insurance to transport others for hire.

I wonder what it takes to get an "Orange vest" here?  Go to city hall, pay a few hundred baht and get a "permit" to drive passengers at any rate they want is likely all you need

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

No.

You claimed they were not regulated, they are.

Enforcement is an entirely different issue.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Do they even have a licence to carry passengers?  Special insurance? 

Licence, yes - the bikes themselves have a different numberplate (yellow) - many get away without having this licence (law enforcement is non-existent). 

I dont know if this covers insurance for the passenger though, but if it does its going to be a pathetic amount (as with the Por-ror-bor car insurance). 

57 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

In America you have to take a special test and get a special licence and proper insurance to transport others for hire.

I wonder what it takes to get an "Orange vest" here?  Go to city hall, pay a few hundred baht and get a "permit" to drive passengers at any rate they want is likely all you need

Officially riders have to register with the DLT to obtain a certificate and then required to obtain a ‘yellow plate’.

I think the ‘orange vest’ is separate and can cost a few hundred thousand baht, these guys can end up in a fair bit of debt.

Riders ‘sell on’ their vest to the highest bidder when they move on and / or retire.

The value of the ‘vest’ varies from location to location with more lucrative areas demanding higher vest costs.

Riders ‘bid’ for vests in new areas (where new ‘win stands’ have been set up).

Riders have to pay a monthly fee to the ‘soi boss’ 

In a ‘busy street’ competition is high and riders can earn up to 1500 baht per day. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

No.

You claimed they were not regulated, they are.

Enforcement is an entirely different issue.

Wrong. What I said is the laws are rarely enforced. Does regulation mean anything, if it is not complied with, or if there is not a body which makes sure the regulations and laws are followed? 

We've probably all done it, but getting killed or maimed over $5 (assuming both pay B80) is silly.

There's a time to take a stand. A five buck fare isn't one of them. 

As for the hapless driver, a lot of extreme violence from men of this age is the result of childhood lead poisoning.

Research discovered that poor children in Asia back before unleaded fuel, were sleeping on slum floors near road traffic.

They got brain damage eventually from the lead, often manifested as extreme violence when provoked later in life.  

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

In a ‘busy street’ competition is high and riders can earn up to 1500 baht per day. 

I have often sat in odd places for a little while and watched the groups of WIN drivers...seem to mostly sit around doing nothing, getting customers infrequently. I take your word for it, but 1500/day.... must mostly do it in the evenings. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Here in Pattaya they block public sidewalks with their chairs, tables, and umbrellas,  They urinate in public, many times have dirty or tattered clothing, vests that look 20 years old, and are simply not useful 90% of the time as people use Bolt or grab apps or take songthaews. (baht bus) 

Public sidewalks are for the public, not illegal hangouts for these guys.  Wheelchairs and people pushing strollers have to go out into the streets to get past these hangouts many times.  How is that good for tourism or the general public? 

And they hi jack seating in the border tables in restaurants, pollute the surroundings with heavy cigarette smoking, often have stray dogs around their encampments. How much restaurant business is lost due to this obnoxious scene. Why does a  tourist city put up with this as well as all the degraded restaurants ? 

6 minutes ago, morrobay said:

And they hi jack seating in the border tables in restaurants, pollute the surroundings with heavy cigarette smoking, often have stray dogs around their encampments. How much restaurant business is lost due to this obnoxious scene. Why does a  tourist city put up with this as well as all the degraded restaurants ? 

I have always felt negative towards them since when a group was once blocking the pavement corner of 13/1 and Beach Rd (at the Hops Brewhouse).. They took offense at me trying to step through and around them and told me I had to walk in the gutter/road. Nearly became a ruckus.... they think they own the town!

On 4/15/2023 at 5:39 AM, bradiston said:

I meant the extra over the normal fare, probably 50 THB. After a 12 hour journey, why waste time arguing or haggling? It's 50 THB! It's Songkran. I'm tired. I got the last bus from BKK to Pattaya by minutes. I just wanted to get home. End of. Tot up the extra it costs you at the end of every month. Probably peanuts. I rarely take a Win.

What has any of that got to do with a pair of Hong Kongers being ripped off and threatened with their lives? That you think the OTT price is reasonable is immaterial. Would you be so flippant if, when you get back home, you are charged £100 for a £50 taxi ride? Farang coming here from rich countries bandying money about (because it basically means nothing to them) set a shiitty precedent and also makes them look stupid in the eyes of the receiver believe it or not. Many of these taxi drivers are dodgy types and will try it on. Good that the cops caught up with this one and hopefully the deranged twerp will get a heavy fine and be locked up.

6 hours ago, daveAustin said:

What has any of that got to do with a pair of Hong Kongers being ripped off and threatened with their lives? That you think the OTT price is reasonable is immaterial. Would you be so flippant if, when you get back home, you are charged £100 for a £50 taxi ride? Farang coming here from rich countries bandying money about (because it basically means nothing to them) set a shiitty precedent and also makes them look stupid in the eyes of the receiver believe it or not. Many of these taxi drivers are dodgy types and will try it on. Good that the cops caught up with this one and hopefully the deranged twerp will get a heavy fine and be locked up.

Yawn. Rant on. It's your blood pressure.

• Haha 1

On 4/15/2023 at 2:11 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Some folk never seem to understand those who object on principle to being taken for a mug.

They blindly throw out phrases such as 'cheap-charly' while regularly being taken for a fool by many people around them.

Many of us do not like it but take the approach to avoid such characters wherever possible, or just pay up and avoid conflict....    

Not agreeing with the practices employed by some has nothing to do with being a cheap-charly and everything to do with not liking it when they feel someone is trying to take advantage of them. 

Perhaps others are so used to being taken advantage of its an everyday facet of their life......  but that dosen’t mean they aren’t cheap charlies... it just means their more relaxed about such issues or just born mugs. 

Long justification for being a Cheap Charlie????????????

On 4/15/2023 at 5:28 AM, bradiston said:

3 different sources quoted for this piece of non news!

Virtue signalling ON

I took a win from Jomtien bus station to Pratamnak Soi 4/5 after a nightmare journey from Manila to BKK. I never asked for the price. Gave him 100 and a "Happy Songkran". He was extremely grateful. What's wrong with people they can't give a bit extra? It's maybe £1. Get real. Wins have to make a living.

Virtue signalling OFF

Well done. It's Songkran after all. Got a good chance of dropping the bike and all aboard by being hit by a lump of freezing water anyway.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why would you think expressing and discussing an opinion on this forum impacts anyones blood pressure ???.... It's just a forum....

Because so many threads ends up in heated arguments, generally over nothing, and often get personal. This thread is a good example. How much of the article quoted do you actually believe is accurate? To me, it's about 80 baht. The supposed targets of the attack never get into the reporting. I posted both recent and past experiences with Wins (NOT taxi drivers as some seem to think), and get attacked for that as they don't chime with the general baying for blood mob attitude against Wins. I'm then lumped in with rich people coming to Thailand and splashing the cash needlessly, and then some silly question about being charged double on a UK cab meter etc etc. And so on ad nauseam.

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

Well done. It's Songkran after all. Got a good chance of dropping the bike and all aboard by being hit by a lump of freezing water anyway.

Improperly done. First, you pay the correct fare and he accepts it, returning change if needed. Then you offer a tip for good service AND being honest.

54 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Improperly done. First, you pay the correct fare and he accepts it, returning change if needed. Then you offer a tip for good service AND being honest.

Improperly done how? Bradiston said he never asked for a price. Just a fair Songkran gesture as far as he was concerned. That's his business.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, bradiston said:

Because so many threads ends up in heated arguments, generally over nothing, and often get personal. This thread is a good example. How much of the article quoted do you actually believe is accurate? To me, it's about 80 baht. The supposed targets of the attack never get into the reporting. I posted both recent and past experiences with Wins (NOT taxi drivers as some seem to think), and get attacked for that as they don't chime with the general baying for blood mob attitude against Wins. I'm then lumped in with rich people coming to Thailand and splashing the cash needlessly, and then some silly question about being charged double on a UK cab meter etc etc. And so on ad nauseam.

The Win claims they agreed to 80 baht per person on one bike for a one km ride.  160 baht for 1.1km. 

No one cares about your two personal experiences with motorcycle taxis. They are totally irrelevant. 
The topic title is with concern to the ‘Win’ trying to get away with charging more than double the normal fare and then threatening the passengers with a knife in order to extort the outrageous charge.