Are there any 'normal' farangs living in Thailand?

bob smith

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Yeah they hardly ever deal drugs or engage in systematic, illegal behaviour.

Everyone knows they deal drugs where some of the money ends up rather than in suits pockets is what matters.

As in all gang stuff there are different chapters, some are much, much worse than others. 

5 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Everyone knows they deal drugs where some of the money ends up rather than in suits pockets is what matters.

As in all gang stuff there are different chapters, some are much, much worse than others. 

The whole brotherhood thing I could say alot about, but better to leave it. The whole freedom myth belonging to the brotherhood we all know is a false one. 

22 minutes ago, Hummin said:

The whole brotherhood thing I could say alot about, but better to leave it. The whole freedom myth belonging to the brotherhood we all know is a false one. 

Gangs bro-hood stuff are not my thing and yeah I never wanted to be in the groupy gang stuff, I'm a typical maverick, when I am invited in Thailand when on the road by a group of motorcyclists to join them because I'm on my own I now politely decline. 

Edited by Kwasaki

5 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

when I was first here in 1974 - - if you saw another farang on the street, you both stopped to say hello and exchange information, good restaurants, best place to stay etc... 

My God! 1974...I thought I was the only one here that has been in and out of Thailand since those early days. Actually I first set foot here in 1972. The people showing up here in the last 15 years or so are "mostly" totally lost souls...meeting a "good" person out and about in villages/towns/cities, malls restaurants etc. is almost impossible. Good being subjective - like anything these days. 

• Like 2

The bad part of normalcy is that it correlates with dullness.

I see everywhere the complete collapse of the ability to tell a story, amusing or not. I got trapped at Starbucks today with a guy who had a lot to say about how the old Braun electric razor was better. 

If you're not popping out the funny Braun electric razor facts or anecdotes by second #30, you're basically dead to me.

It's tragic, but the banter here is usually better than real life.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mosan said:

My God! 1974...I thought I was the only one here that has been in and out of Thailand since those early days. Actually I first set foot here in 1972. The people showing up here in the last 15 years or so are "mostly" totally lost souls...meeting a "good" person out and about in villages/towns/cities, malls restaurants etc. is almost impossible. Good being subjective - like anything these days. 

I've been here for 6 years, and know exactly where I am, so I'm not lost. Weird that someone can make such a statement and only know a few farangs, while there are thousands that have moved here in the last 15 years. Have to get around a lot all over Thailand to meet so many. As far as knowing if a person is "good" or not, that takes a lot of time. Knowing what a person is takes a minimum of 6 months, weekly, to get top know them, an all types of situations. This is the same as dating. 6 months to a year of continuous meetings will tell you a lot, but not everything of course, about a person. Even serial killers have neighbors, and they don't know them as well as they think. Think Jeffrey Dahmer and Gacy.

5 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

when I was first here in 1974 - - if you saw another farang on the street, you both stopped to say hello and exchange information, good restaurants, best place to stay etc... 

These days though, everyone gets their info from online and there's no need for people to exchange any info

4 hours ago, tubby johnson said:

Probably the first.

I've learned to avoid eye contact with farangs, as I invariably regret responding to them. So many whingers, drug addicts, scammers, braggarts, conspiracy theorists, bitter people, chips on their shoulder, insanely bored pensioners, more scammers, talkative bores ..... oh, lots of talkative bores. A bunch of losers and not good to associate with such people.

Well that about covers everyone here. I have to guess you don't associate with anyone. But then, if you're actually black like the picture in your profile, then "farangs" and many asians for that matter aren't seeking you out for conversation and friendship in the first place... That said, your comments ring true. 

20 minutes ago, mosan said:

Well that about covers everyone here. I have to guess you don't associate with anyone. But then, if you're actually black like the picture in your profile, then "farangs" and many asians for that matter aren't seeking you out for conversation and friendship in the first place... That said, your comments ring true. 

Is this a serious comment? Because I don't decide who to talk to based on their skin colour. That's some real weird, racist s**t you're coming out with there.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It really depends on what lens is used. I don't regard myself as normal, because I left my home country, learned to communicate in Thai, and have a GF 23 years younger than me.

OTOH, I pay my way, am law-abiding, and protect my health with diet and exercise. I don't drink, smoke, or use pot.

It's normal for people to resist change, I embraced it.

An example of why I don't converse with felangs much in Thailand .

They just talk about themselves all the time and tell me all about themselves  and how wonderful and perfect they are .

BTW, if your GF overweight or something ?

You didn't mention how much she weighs 

• Love It 1

24 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

An example of why I don't converse with felangs much in Thailand .

They just talk about themselves all the time and tell me all about themselves  and how wonderful and perfect they are .

BTW, if your GF overweight or something ?

You didn't mention how much she weighs 

Pretty easy to get a younger gf. She may be poor or ugly. Any poor ugly woman will go with a farang that pays the bills.

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

I've been here for 6 years, and know exactly where I am, so I'm not lost. Weird that someone can make such a statement and only know a few farangs, while there are thousands that have moved here in the last 15 years. Have to get around a lot all over Thailand to meet so many. As far as knowing if a person is "good" or not, that takes a lot of time. Knowing what a person is takes a minimum of 6 months, weekly, to get top know them, an all types of situations. This is the same as dating. 6 months to a year of continuous meetings will tell you a lot, but not everything of course, about a person. Even serial killers have neighbors, and they don't know them as well as they think. Think Jeffrey Dahmer and Gacy.

Granted, you may know where you are and what's going on around you. Weird statement - I think not. By the way, I known hundreds over the years and many are still living here...most have moved on. This is not about knowing someone for a certain amount of time. Just read some of the questions asked by members of this forum - both old expats and newbies - and you'll see that many are in fact "fish out of water." Maybe not you specifically, but many constantly can't understand that they're "Not In Kansas Anymore" or the UK or Austrailia, or Denmark, etc., etc., etc...  

40 minutes ago, Mark1066 said:

Is this a serious comment? Because I don't decide who to talk to based on their skin colour. That's some real weird, racist s**t you're coming out with there.

Yes, you're right, but it's true. No one expresses their real thoughts and opinions. All you have to do is read the comments when someone is accused of wrongdoing... Look at the stark differences between comments about Blacks versus Whites (regardless of national origin) Asians, Muslims (from any country), Arabs, Russians... Go ahead prove me wrong. Weird, no, reality. Racist, yes, you act like racism doesn't exist.

• Like 1

Guys who move to Thailand when they are young are normally interesting, a bit crazy, and adventurous. 

Older guys are a bit normal, but many are poor and therefore cantankerous, and are Thai bashers on TV.

• Love It 1

9 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

This is true.

If you are hanging out in/near the fleshpots of Pattaya or some other "entertainment district" is may colour your impressions.  

Hey, hang on Donny I have been to Pattaya 17 times never been in a bar I guess you don't even know where Pattaya is 

11 hours ago, nauseus said:

Just a different normal. In Bangkok more of them have jobs. What were you doing in Pattaya, did you want to join the "Strange"??

Of course, my life's ambition! I finally found a place on Earth where people understand just how important I am!! The girls here are such good listeners. Their ability to understand English is incredible. When I go to the bar they all smile and nod their heads in agreement with every word!

Edited by likerdup1
  • Love It 1