Thailand: you can leave but you must pay ฿1,000 more. Departures tax hailed as the kiss of death

webfact

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

Who in their right mind would be in favour of legislation that makes it harder to leave the country and spend time in foreign country in exchange for no tangible benefits...?

so called tax-perts, people who live in ivory towers. another reason to not retire here, part time or full time with family connection back in your home country.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Nigeone said:

i have travelled to Thailand countless times and its usually been quite reasonable to do so. Pre Covid I got a Ticket from Manchester return for around £450 . Now having just booked my third trip since last November its just short of £800 return. A big difference and as I have a initial flight also we are talking just under £1000 for a return with no overnight stops. How many families could afford that and this extra 1000 baht is just another nail. Yeah I know if you can afford the current fare thats its no big deal…But it is as so much more has gone up accordingly. Tell you what would willing accept this if they guarantee to get you through immigration without having to queue for ages. If your lucky its pretty quick but two of my last trips its been a nightmare. And as for the faces on the immagration staff ! Smacked crab comes to mind . 

Do you think people will not come to Thailand on what often is, a holiday of a life time, due to this departure tax? really....

As others have alluded to, it's likely to be hidden in the ticket cost.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Why stop at 1k? Why not 10k? Better yet, 100k. ???? On top of that, they could take a queue from the Philippines make foreigners who have been in the country for more than six months fill out an application for permission to leave! Exit clearance, they call it. Quite a concept.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PJ71 said:

Do you think people will not come to Thailand on what often is, a holiday of a life time, due to this departure tax? really....

Well it is an initial deterrent then I suspect with the inflated flight cost. I was reading but yesterday of complaints from Westerners after long haul holidays, regarding crowded destinations, poor service and quite expensive destination prices. That was about Vietnam, but I expect a Phuket holiday would yield similar comments. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

Yeah, I remember paying the 500 Baht fee at the counter many years ago at the old airport.

I believe this was increased and then they forced the airlines to collect the tax.

No doubt the airlines will collect the increased charge as well.

Yes, for years I made sure there was a 500 Baht note in my pocket for departure. What many people did not know at the time, was that when they got the airlines to put it on the ticket price, they upped it by 50% to 750 Baht per passenger. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, RichardColeman said:

Bunch of crooks and thieves. Imagine being 'fined' 5000 baht exit fee for your family holiday. Pure scam.

Perhaps Re-Entry permits need to go up too!

The UK Air Passenger Duty amount is broken down based on the distance you’re flying, and the class of service you’re flying in. There are four different pricing bands, and here’s the pricing as of April 1, 2023:

• For domestic flights (only within England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland), the APD is £6.50 (~$8) in economy, and £13 (~$16) in a premium cabin
  • For international flights of up to 2,000 miles (short haul), the APD is £13 (~$16) in economy, and £26 (~$32) in a premium cabin
  • For international flights of 2,001 to 5,500 miles (long haul), the APD is £87 (~$107) in economy, and £191 (~$236) in a premium cabin
  • For international flights of more than 5,500 miles (ultra long haul), the APD is £91 (~$112) in economy, and £200 (~$247) in a premium cabin

Go back to the UK and complain... see what it gets you

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/air-passenger-duty-rates-from-1-april-2022-to-31-march-2023/air-passenger-duty-rates-from-1-april-2022-to-31-march-2023

Air passenger duty in the UK is included in the ticket price so mostly you don't notice it. But I don't recall any government asking whether we wanted it or not.. [oops, I see someone else has just pointed this out - but now you have the link so you can check for yourselves]

Edited by Drumbuie
duplicated info!
  • Like 1

my word. speechless. may as well just give them our credit cards when we land and say have at it fellas...

they really are totally without even a modicum of shame. 

Edited by bogs smith
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

It won't put off long haul travelers (an extra < 1% isn't going to stop me from visiting family) but it might put off people travelling from Malaysia / Singapore etc... where it could be an extra 10-20% on top of however much flight prices have gone up already (My UK flights were 46% more expensive than the ones I bought pre-Covid). 

A departure Tax of 750B is already included in the flight prices so I am guessing they will increase this to 1,750B.

But if they really want to shoot themselves in the foot they could make it a pay-2-exit & make the proposed 300B a pay-2-enter and watch the airport grind to a halt (as if it doesn't at times anyway). 

• Thumbs Up 1

Is that 1000 baht on top of the exit fee already included in the airline ticket?

One of the articles says everyone will be taxed the other says it's thai's and permanent residents???

I'm sure this is all wrapped up in the fact they can't figure out how to impose the entrance fee as originally planned and a backdoor effort to divert more money into "special projects". 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Why not 1,000B for exiting thais and 10,000B for non-Thais?  If those sneaky low-life non-Thais cannot pay, then off to Immigration prison when their visa expires. There they can sit in squalor for decades until someone rescues them with a first class air ticket and unpaid court levies.    

On 5/6/2023 at 1:28 PM, ignore it said:

One should always walk facing traffic.

Second road is a one way, at least what's left of it. 

Must be at least a few meters of sidewalk.

By walking facing traffic  uou at least get to see the idiot who's going to hit you.

Firstly it maybe a good idea to tell the hiso's to stop spending excessive amounts of money overseas. Also the military who have brand new equipment laying about all over Thailand at Army bases and has never been used.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The 1st article is saying 1000 THB for All while the 2nd is saying 1000 THB for Thai citizens and PRs only... So which is it? In the early 90's there was a 1000 THB tax for Thai citizens (don't know if it was for PR's as well) and it was a pain...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1