80 million baht cash found buried at Buddhist temple in Thailand

webfact

13 minutes ago, webfact said:

Khom asked to make a phone call at the police station in which he attempted to secretly ask someone to move the temple’s assets, leading the police to conduct a thorough search of the temple grounds.

Can I call the helpline ????

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, quake said:

Monks up to monkey business.

Nothing new.

As it's mostly, only pretend Buddhism here. 

It's a business really.

The workers just nicked the months takings. :giggle:

exactly, nothin' honest about this place I can tell you.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The temple was searched after the former abbot and two others were arrested under suspicion of embezzling 180 million baht of temple funds last week. The three suspects are suspected of embezzling 300 million baht since 2020.

There is Big Money in Thai Buddhism.  :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

I would think the percentage of bad monks would fall in line with bad people in every profession and in life in general.

You'd be surprised to know the number of Thai men - who are ordained Thai monks - because of the income potential and not out of any spiritual reason. This is outside of the Kammathana Forest Tradition and perhaps the Dhammayut Tradition which are a small minority of monks who abide by the Vinaya rules of Buddhism and don't handle money.  The majority do, however, handle money.  There really needs to be another Thai Buddhist reform movement like that implemented by King Mongkut (Rama IV) in the 1820s.  Personally?  I'd like to see Thai Buddhism put through another reformation period.

• Thumbs Up 1

As the fertility falls ever more the number of wealthy older people who have no one to leave their wealth to will increase. Amazes me that they seem to think leaving it to the temple will bring them merit and also do the most good.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, connda said:

You'd be surprised to know the number of Thai men - who are ordained Thai monks - because of the income potential and not out of any spiritual reason. This is outside of the Kammathana Forest Tradition and perhaps the Dhammayut Tradition which are a small minority of monks who abide by the Vinaya rules of Buddhism and don't handle money.  The majority do, however, handle money.  There really needs to be another Thai Buddhist reform movement like that implemented by King Mongkut (Rama IV) in the 1820s.  Personally?  I'd like to see Thai Buddhism put through another reformation period.

Becoming a monk because of financial reasons, remember they are part of the community and considered as working, does not make them thieves.

33 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

As Jesus often said: "beware the Teachers of the Law and Pharisees"

He said it perfectly. SO MANY televangelists on TV these days wearing fancy suits, living in million dollar homes, enjoying their private jets all while telling the TV audience to send "them" more money. They might live a life of luxury now by fleecing the people that trust them but judgement day will come for them eventually.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm asking, where did all this money come from.  How long did it take them to accumulate this much money.  I lived in a small country temple in Lopburi province for 5 years... I never seen this kind of money while there.  Sometimes we didn't have enough to pay the electric bill. 

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

Oh those pious pretenders...always up to scamming, scheming, cheating, abusing, diddling & fiddling the world over. :coffee1:

Yes your right and it all starts at the very top, the senior politicians, happens the world over, and certainly in countries like both here in Thailand and in the UK.

• Thumbs Up 1

80 million baht cash is a pee pot full of money.

= $2,381,201 USD

= $3,184,744 Canadian

= 1,884,747 Pound Sterling

Not even to mention the gold bars or the other big amounts listed.

Some monks were planning a very comfortable retirement using OPM (Other People's Money).