What did you have for breakfast?

BritManToo

On 8/26/2023 at 11:56 PM, Caldera said:

Wine cooler? A beer would be a lot healthier and provide the same bang.

Beer is more expensive,

300ml dark wine cooler @ 7% = 26bht.

600ml beer @ 5% = 55bht.

Wine cooler gives 40% more bang for my baht.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. Had I not actually lived in the UK for 10 years I might not have been able to laugh at that. While I have no doubt that the British rich eat well, as the rich do all over the world, for the avearge Brit the food they eat is either very average or overprocessed supermarket factory muck. Till I saw it I couldn't believe that Brit takeaway shops cook loads and leave it to moulder under some lights- ghastly muck. In NZ it's cooked when  ordered.

Asian food is great but not every day. White rice every day isn't a  healthy choice because of the glycemic index besides the fact it would get boring

Seriously, 55555555555555555!

What did all those millions of Asians do without McDucks or KFC**p to give them tasty and nutritious food ( sarcasm alert )?

Back before the great American junk food invasion Thais looked thinner and healthier on their white rice diet.

We didn't eat whale meat or penguins in Antarctica. The US contingent at McMurdo ate the same junk they ate back home ( however, I did like real hot dogs and icecream ) and the NZ contingent ate the same food we eat in NZ, though whether it is any healthier than US food is debatable.

We did once get to eat some seal meat as a special meal, but there were no requests for a repeat.

When I said why stop eating some of the best food on earth, that was a general term, meaning western food from all over. Every country has excellent food, and who wouldn't want to still eat some of their own country's food? I've never , yet, been to the UK, but I'm looking forward to traveling there someday to try Irish, Scottish and English food in a pub, along with the excellent beer those countries have. I have friends that already have, and although ethnic food from those countries is pretty simple, it, to them, tasted great. You can't judge a culture by what their cities serve for people on the go, meaning fast food (not just McDonalds, et al). You have to go into the homes or eat at the local restaurants.  Millions of Asians still eat ethnic Asian food, which is great. I've had Thai, Chinese, Cambodian, Vietnamese, Laotian, Japanese and Korean food, and it all was, is, great. Western food introduced isn't taking the place of Asian's own food.  It's just an addition. Some of which is healthy, and some isn't.                                                                                                              

On 8/27/2023 at 2:51 PM, fredwiggy said:

A lot of BS has been written over the years, and believed,  by those seeking quick answers to weight loss. Humans are omnivores. We need fiber to have  a cleaner gastro system. Fruit has vitamins that meat doesn't also, and the suger from fruit is never a problem if you aren't eating it all day long and in excess amounts. You can surely lose weight, if need be, by going to a Keto diet, and it does work, but shouldn't be used forever. Oatmeal is a very healthy grain, as is rice. They are the least to cause allergies and inflammation. Wheat, pasta, can be a problem if you are intolerant to wheat. Other grains might be if you are gluten intolerant. Some are both, many are neither. Too much refined sugar is what causes obesity, and then heart attacks. Too much fat can do the same. Too much LDL from saturated fats raise your cholesterol, which can cause a heart attack or stroke. I have eaten grains, vegetables, starches, fruit , and pasta all my life, along with mostly chicken, fish and lean meat, and have stayed lean all that time, with a resting pulse of 58, and blood pressure averaging 115 over 55. Calories from too much alcohol, fruit juices or whole milk are the worst. Drinking calories is never a good thing, although wine and beer in moderation isn't a problem. I had trained thousands of people back when I lived in the US, and helped with their diets. Every one made gains in muscle, lost fat and lowered their cholesterol and blood pressure. It's not a hard science but fad diets are never the answer.     

one example

The B Vitamins

Beef has more thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, Vitamin B6, folate and Vitamin B12.

Beef Apple
Thiamin 0.051 mg 0.017 mg
Riboflavin 0.176 mg 0.026 mg
Niacin 4.537 mg 0.091 mg
Pantothenic Acid 0.658 mg 0.061 mg
Vitamin B6 0.336 mg 0.041 mg
Folate 11 ug 3 ug
Vitamin B12 2.9 ug

~

alcium

Beef has signficantly more calcium than apple - beef has 35mg of calcium per 100 grams and apple has 6mg of calcium.

Iron

Beef is a great source of iron and it has 17 times more iron than apple - beef has 2.3mg of iron per 100 grams and apple has 0.12mg of iron.

Potassium

Beef is a great source of potassium and it has 157% more potassium than apple - beef has 275mg of potassium per 100 grams and apple has 107mg of potassium.

Omega 3s

For omega-3 fatty acids, beef has more alpha linoleic acid (ALA) than apple per 100 grams.

Beef Apple
Alpha Linoleic Acid 0.056 g 0.009 g
Total 0.056 g 0.009 g

Cooked Beef 70g

( patty )
DAILY VALUES (%)

Apple  125g

( cup, quartered or chopped )
194kcal 10%

198% CALORIES  

65kcal 3%

CARBOHYDRATES  >999%

17g 7%

Dietary Fiber  >999%

3g 12%
      Sugar  >999%   13g
13g 20%

>999% TOTAL FAT  

0.21g 0.3%
5.1g 29%

>999% Saturated Fat  

0.04g 0.2%
6.2g    >999% Monounsaturated Fat     0.01g
0.35g    483% Polyunsaturated Fat     0.06g
0.82g    >999% Trans Fat      
62mg    >999% CHOLESTEROL      
57mg 4%

>999% SODIUM  

1.3mg 0.1%
      VITAMINS AND MINERALS      
2.1ug 0.3%

Vitamin A  81%

3.8ug 1%

Vitamin C  >999%

5.8mg 8%
1.4iu 0.3%

>999% Vitamin D  

25mg 3%

233% Calcium  

7.5mg 1%
1.6mg 9%

966% Iron  

0.15mg 1%
13mg 4%

106% Magnesium  

6.3mg 2%
193mg 8%

44% Potassium  

134mg 6%
0.04mg 3%

100% Thiamin (Vit B1)  

0.02mg 2%
0.12mg 11%

299% Riboflavin (Vit B2)  

0.03mg 3%
3.2mg 23%

>999% Niacin (Vit B3)  

0.11mg 1%
0.24mg 18%

379% Vitamin B6  

0.05mg 4%
0.46mg 9%

474% Pantothenic Acid (Vit B5)  

0.08mg 2%
7.7ug 2%

103% Folate (Vit B9)  

3.8ug 1%
2ug 85%

>999% Vitamin B12  

0.08mg 1%

Vitamin E  175%

0.22mg 2%
2.1ug 2%

Vitamin K  33%

2.8ug 3%
18g 36%

>999% PROTEIN  

0.33g 1%
54mg 13%

>999% Choline  

4.3mg 1%
0.05mg 4%

66% Copper  

0.03mg 3%

Fluoride  >999%

4.1ug 0.1%
0.01mg 0.4%

Manganese  297%

0.04mg 2%
130mg 19%

829% Phosphorus  

14mg 2%
15ug 27%

>999% Selenium  

4.3mg 54%

>999% Zinc  

0.05mg 1%
39g     WATER  174%   107g
      STARCH  >999%   0.06g

2 minutes ago, Luuk Chaai said:

one example

The B Vitamins

Beef has more thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, Vitamin B6, folate and Vitamin B12.

Beef Apple
Thiamin 0.051 mg 0.017 mg
Riboflavin 0.176 mg 0.026 mg
Niacin 4.537 mg 0.091 mg
Pantothenic Acid 0.658 mg 0.061 mg
Vitamin B6 0.336 mg 0.041 mg
Folate 11 ug 3 ug
Vitamin B12 2.9 ug

~

alcium

Beef has signficantly more calcium than apple - beef has 35mg of calcium per 100 grams and apple has 6mg of calcium.

Iron

Beef is a great source of iron and it has 17 times more iron than apple - beef has 2.3mg of iron per 100 grams and apple has 0.12mg of iron.

Potassium

Beef is a great source of potassium and it has 157% more potassium than apple - beef has 275mg of potassium per 100 grams and apple has 107mg of potassium.

Omega 3s

For omega-3 fatty acids, beef has more alpha linoleic acid (ALA) than apple per 100 grams.

Beef Apple
Alpha Linoleic Acid 0.056 g 0.009 g
Total 0.056 g 0.009 g

Cooked Beef 70g

( patty )
DAILY VALUES (%)

Apple  125g

( cup, quartered or chopped )
194kcal 10%

198% CALORIES  

65kcal 3%

CARBOHYDRATES  >999%

17g 7%

Dietary Fiber  >999%

3g 12%
      Sugar  >999%   13g
13g 20%

>999% TOTAL FAT  

0.21g 0.3%
5.1g 29%

>999% Saturated Fat  

0.04g 0.2%
6.2g    >999% Monounsaturated Fat     0.01g
0.35g    483% Polyunsaturated Fat     0.06g
0.82g    >999% Trans Fat      
62mg    >999% CHOLESTEROL      
57mg 4%

>999% SODIUM  

1.3mg 0.1%
      VITAMINS AND MINERALS      
2.1ug 0.3%

Vitamin A  81%

3.8ug 1%

Vitamin C  >999%

5.8mg 8%
1.4iu 0.3%

>999% Vitamin D  

25mg 3%

233% Calcium  

7.5mg 1%
1.6mg 9%

966% Iron  

0.15mg 1%
13mg 4%

106% Magnesium  

6.3mg 2%
193mg 8%

44% Potassium  

134mg 6%
0.04mg 3%

100% Thiamin (Vit B1)  

0.02mg 2%
0.12mg 11%

299% Riboflavin (Vit B2)  

0.03mg 3%
3.2mg 23%

>999% Niacin (Vit B3)  

0.11mg 1%
0.24mg 18%

379% Vitamin B6  

0.05mg 4%
0.46mg 9%

474% Pantothenic Acid (Vit B5)  

0.08mg 2%
7.7ug 2%

103% Folate (Vit B9)  

3.8ug 1%
2ug 85%

>999% Vitamin B12  

0.08mg 1%

Vitamin E  175%

0.22mg 2%
2.1ug 2%

Vitamin K  33%

2.8ug 3%
18g 36%

>999% PROTEIN  

0.33g 1%
54mg 13%

>999% Choline  

4.3mg 1%
0.05mg 4%

66% Copper  

0.03mg 3%

Fluoride  >999%

4.1ug 0.1%
0.01mg 0.4%

Manganese  297%

0.04mg 2%
130mg 19%

829% Phosphorus  

14mg 2%
15ug 27%

>999% Selenium  

4.3mg 54%

>999% Zinc  

0.05mg 1%
39g     WATER  174%   107g
      STARCH  >999%   0.06g

An example of what? I eat beef, for those qualities and it's taste. I eat apples for the same reasons. You don't compare them. Both are needed foods, at least as far as one having B vitamins, fats and protein. The other isn't for some of those but mainly Vitamin C, fiber and energy. Living on just protein and fat foods leaves your body lacking of needed nutrients.

19 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

An example of what? I eat beef, for those qualities and it's taste. I eat apples for the same reasons. You don't compare them. Both are needed foods, at least as far as one having B vitamins, fats and protein. The other isn't for some of those but mainly Vitamin C, fiber and energy. Living on just protein and fat foods leaves your body lacking of needed nutrients.

if i want extra Vitamin  C  I throw a whole lemon into a blender with water  skin/seeds and all

your body does NOT need fibre

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Luuk Chaai said:

if i want extra Vitamin  C  I throw a whole lemon into a blender with water  skin/seeds and all

your body does NOT need fibre

Tell that to the millions who suffer from diverticulitis, IBS, bowel cancer and constipation. Cleaning out your colon daily is necessary to prevent problems. Fiber helps reduces total and LDL cholesterol, which is a heart saver. Hemorrhoids are also prevented. I'm guessing you're just playing around, because these things have been known before we were born.

Love most Thai food but sloppy rice soup just doesn't do it for me at breakfast time.

Whether I'm in the UK or Thailand, same thing every day for as long as I can remember - Bacon, Egg, Beans, Tomato and Toast.  Of course, rinsed down with tea - Yorkshire tea!

3 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Tell that to the millions who suffer from diverticulitis, IBS, bowel cancer and constipation. Cleaning out your colon daily is necessary to prevent problems. Fiber helps reduces total and LDL cholesterol, which is a heart saver. Hemorrhoids are also prevented. I'm guessing you're just playing around, because these things have been known before we were born.

guess your research ended  years ago .............  time to catch up 

but hey ..  if it works for  you .  have at it

9 minutes ago, Luuk Chaai said:

guess your research ended  years ago .............  time to catch up 

but hey ..  if it works for  you .  have at it

My research started when I began lifting weights, age 17, and hasn't stopped. You're mislead by some who have used the Keto diets because it does work, for losing body fat, but it's not a healthy plan to stay on long term. Read up on what low fiber or no fiber diets do. You are misinformed like a lot of others out there that believe in something just because one points out the positives on a certain diet short term. Here's one link,from 2022, you might study. There are hundreds.....................https://www.eatingwell.com/article/7871141/what-happens-to-your-body-when-you-don-t-eat-enough-fiber/

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

My research started when I began lifting weights, age 17, and hasn't stopped. You're mislead by some who have used the Keto diets because it does work, for losing body fat, but it's not a healthy plan to stay on long term. Read up on what low fiber or no fiber diets do. You are misinformed like a lot of others out there that believe in something just because one points out the positives on a certain diet short term. Here's one link,from 2022, you might study. There are hundreds.....................https://www.eatingwell.com/article/7871141/what-happens-to-your-body-when-you-don-t-eat-enough-fiber/

I'll make it easy for you   

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

You all can argue with the 'science' & 'youtube' all you want.  I know what goes in my body, and how it comes out.  

What makes me tired or sluggish, or energized.  I monitor my #s, BP, blood work, even my oxygen levels/95% or above.

Eat what you want, but I'll keep eating my fruits, veggies, fiber, eggs, meat, breads, along with everything else in moderation.  Sugars included.

Pancakes for dinner, w/plenty of (fake) maple syrup & butter.

Only thing I've eased up on, is cheese, as it doesn't want to play nice sometimes,  

Edited by KhunLA

27 minutes ago, Luuk Chaai said:

I'll make it easy for you   

The research he refer to

Conclusions: A high-fiber diet and increased frequency of bowel movements are associated with greater, rather than lower, prevalence of diverticulosis. Hypotheses regarding risk factors for asymptomatic diverticulosis should be reconsidered

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22062360/

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2023 at 3:45 PM, Hummin said:

One exercise is to produce positive thoughts and beliefs that influence you in the dayily life. Produce negativity as many daily do, and also disuss negative happenings form your mind and your happy hormones. 

Im not sure I succeed every day, but looking at things from a different perspective and also write more positivity, helps me to become a more positive individual on a long term basis. 

I cant stay long around negative people, but for some strange reasons, I kind of find positivity in all the negativity at this forum. 

It actually brightens up my day for some morbid reasons. 

Hard to be positive when one is positive that the world one lives in has gone mad, and the ratbags have taken over.

On 8/24/2023 at 7:27 AM, degrub said:

Handful of walnuts, pumpkin seeds, seed flatbread, and a couple small pieces of Spanish almond fig cake 

Sounds healthy and where did you buy the Spanish almond fig cake??.........just what I could eat in the morning!!

Same as I've had for years age 76:  weight remains stable with no particular diet except for this breakfast.  Lunch is any Thai dish spicy hot and occasional;

US fast food.

Steel cut oats (soaked for 24 hours so no cooking necessary), chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, turmeric, black pepper, flax seed meal, dash of

beet root powder, sesame seeds, (if available hemp protein powder or hemp seeds) walnuts, blue berries, (if available- seedless grapes, black berries, cherries, 

pineapple, raspberries, papaya, cantalope, melons  ((not all but mixed up)).  fortunately we here in this country have a multitude of fresh fruits to add to any meal.  In CM RimPing carried all, here in Bangkok there are several different stores that stock almost all of these ingredients.  BP stays just below level for someone younger than me, I avoid sugar and salt plus no booze either.  I usually fast from 2PM to 5AM but drink a lot of water.  I have extra protein on the days that I lift weights and I try to walk 5K every evening.  I am pleasantly surprised a how many folks here admit to eating somewhat healthy.  Take care enjoy life.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 12:15 PM, champers said:

A bowl of Rice Krispies with milk and sugar and a glass of pomelo juice followed by a big mug of tea with a drop of milk and no sugar.

Doesn't sound like a very Bolton breakfast

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Presnock said:

Same as I've had for years age 76:  weight remains stable with no particular diet except for this breakfast.  Lunch is any Thai dish spicy hot and occasional;

US fast food.

Steel cut oats (soaked for 24 hours so no cooking necessary), chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, turmeric, black pepper, flax seed meal, dash of

beet root powder, sesame seeds, (if available hemp protein powder or hemp seeds) walnuts, blue berries, (if available- seedless grapes, black berries, cherries, 

pineapple, raspberries, papaya, cantalope, melons  ((not all but mixed up)).  fortunately we here in this country have a multitude of fresh fruits to add to any meal.  In CM RimPing carried all, here in Bangkok there are several different stores that stock almost all of these ingredients.  BP stays just below level for someone younger than me, I avoid sugar and salt plus no booze either.  I usually fast from 2PM to 5AM but drink a lot of water.  I have extra protein on the days that I lift weights and I try to walk 5K every evening.  I am pleasantly surprised a how many folks here admit to eating somewhat healthy.  Take care enjoy life.

I like my oats. Can you convince me steel cut oats are worth the additional cost to rolled oats. Seems they maybe keep you fuller but it’s still oats it seems. 

1 minute ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I like my oats. Can you convince me steel cut oats are worth the additional cost to rolled oats. Seems they maybe keep you fuller but it’s still oats it seems. 

Same nutritional value as all oats. Chewier. I like all oats, and eat oatmeal every day. Just had some an hour ago with soymilk and orange marmalade. I usually eat quick cooking or rolled oats but will get steel cut if i could find them here. Used to eat them back in the US. Takes longer to cook but good texture.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Same nutritional value as all oats. Chewier. I like all oats, and eat oatmeal every day. Just had some an hour ago with soymilk and orange marmalade. I usually eat quick cooking or rolled oats but will get steel cut if i could find them here. Used to eat them back in the US. Takes longer to cook but good texture.

The texture is much nicer.