Everyone says to go to Thailand for dental work...but which dentist in Thailand should I go to?

kaymantee

I've been online searching for days and I'm not coming up with anything definite. Any recommendations? Any particular place that's famous (for being good and affordable). I'm looking to do some implants and root canals. Aesthetics (and of course quality) is most important to me (without breaking the bank).

Appreciate any point in the right direction!

10 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I think it might be a good idea to post where in Thailand you will be 

A newbie to here and what seems like a newbie to Thailand. Do you really think that they will be heading straight to Trat province or maybe Uttararit? Common sense really should prevail here.

OP if you are going to Bangkok, You will get flashy dentists that want to charge for the glam. They will not offer the discount you ask for. Look for US trained local dentists. In Downtown Sukhumvit near soi 12 is Korea town. There is a dentist on the second or thrid level on the left as you go up the escalators who perform excellent work for good value and have for many years.

You can get cheaper in the burbs but you need to know the region.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

You will not get good/excellent dental  treatment cheaply in Thailand, Bangkok international dental center (bidc) or Bangkok dental Hospital(Bidh) have good reputations for implants or Aesthetics if you want quality work, run of the mill fillings etc are cheap at the many dental clinics, i would not use them( went once told i needed 3 fillings replaced, all 3 fell out within 18 months  he never showed me the xrays so i now doubt the work ever needed doing),  the prices for my implants was the same as the UK. you might try the dental centres in some of the hospitals, be careful 

Everyone ?  Have any of them actually had work done here ?

Thailand is not inexpensive for dental work.  I wouldn't bother unless you have really crap dentist in home country.  And which country would that be ?

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

I use Dental Hospital Bangkok near Habito Mall, Sukhumvit 77.
http://www.dentalhospitalbangkok.com/

It was 25k THB to have a broken crown removed, the old root canal drilled out, a new filling, and a new ceramic crown, including x-rays and so on. That's only a little cheaper than it would have cost at a private dentist in the UK, so I'm sure there are cheaper options around, but I was happy with it. And they make the crowns on-site, so it's fast. You aren't waiting days for them to send off for it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Pre-Covid I had some major work (caps) done over several years at BKK Smile Clinic.

Excellent work. Half the price of work I had done in Canberra. In fact Canberra friends of mine used to fly to BKK every couple of years to get dental work done there. They said the difference in costs paid for a 2-week holiday in Thailand.

I have used BKK general dental clinic for years.   Used a few different dentists there until I found one I really like.

I tried Bum Dental department once, but was not happy with the Dentist and did not return.

Tried the Asian India hollywood Dental clinic and walked out after a few minutes in the chair. Truly disgusted.

Tried a Dental clinic with a really nice Grand Piano in the center of their gleaming white clinic, and felt I was a farang taken advantage of.  Never went back.

Tried a Dental clinic in CNX on the South side of the Old Town Moat.  Nice people and nice clean office, but 2400 thb for cleaning was a hose job.   Never went back.

Now Im back at BKK general dental department and love my dentist, not the cheapest but mid range.  Just wish she would give me her cell number. 555

Most clinics post prices on their web site.  For extensive work, go in for a consult first.

Edited by NORDO
edit
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2023 at 9:31 PM, kaymantee said:

Sorry, i thought my post was obvious that I'm going to Thailand just for a dentist. 

So anywhere in Thailand.

I have been going to Payon Clinic in Chiang Mai - Dr. Jay is great. He has been my dentist for over 15 years - I speak Thai but his English is excellent. As most of the dentists in Chiang Mai, I think they are reasonably priced. And he is centrally located... spotlessly clean too, but I would expect that from all dentists in CM... 

A friend of mine had estimates over $10,000 in USA and got fixed up here for $300 - Dentists in USA tend toward extra unnecessary work. 

On 8/24/2023 at 9:19 PM, KhunLA said:

Thailand is not inexpensive for dental work.

I think it is very inexpensive compared to USA... and they have all the state of the art equipment here. I was talking w/a friend in New York and told him I had a cleaning for just under $20 - he told me that it costs him $20 to park his car when he goes to the dentist... 

You do know that Thailand is known by many here as the Land of Scams? So be very careful. The #1 motive is to get your money. The first time I went to a dentist here, not very long after I arrived, I was told I needed three teeth extracted. I thought not, left, and still have those teeth 26 years later. Another time I was told I needed root canal surgery. Same story.

And away from dentists, someone I used to know felt in need of some TLC and made up a story about hurting his neck in a taxi accident. His family took him to a hospital where they not only found a non-existent injury to treat and charge for, but backed it up with an x-ray and advice that he spend two nights in the hospital.

So be wary. And good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

There must be at least 50 dentists here in Pattaya. I stick to one who is very good with reasonable prices. 700 baht $20 for a clean, from a dentist not just a hygienist. I've had a root canal and crown 16,000 baht $450 and 2 front porcelain crowns 20,000 baht $570. A filling would be around 1,000 baht. Coming from the UK, with the worst dental service in the world, it's amazing to have the choice and low prices.

Edited by Henryford
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Trying to get someone here to recommend a specific dentist here is like pulling teeth.  I recommend Zmile Dental Clinic in Chiang Mai and the female dentist who is the owner.  She went to dental school in the USA and practiced there as well.  Speaks perfect English. Unfortunately I have forgotten her name.  She spent 30 minutes with me discussing my dental issues and concluded that no work was needed now.  There was no charge.  It was clear to me that she is practicing at a high ethical level. And Chiang Mai is a nice place to stay and visit! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100089101495989&locale=hi_IN&paipv=0&eav=AfYq9usd6jgZ3jj6UFgLdhlJ1fzElBKUwmFeU2W5Yy7OJPzCTMfxIO_HdwprQpWUm2I

• Like 2

On 8/24/2023 at 8:26 PM, kaymantee said:

I'm looking to do some implants and root canals.

On 8/24/2023 at 9:31 PM, kaymantee said:

I'm going to Thailand just for a dentist. 

If you are getting a molar implant, you may need to stay for over 3 month, if you need bone graft may be even longer.

Quality dental work of quality US or foreign standards like others have mentioned is not cheap.

The prices are listed on the Dental Websites.  

Unfortunately I had a lot of dental visits in the past.

Look for how well the Dentist communicates, get an Xray, is it a quality picture?

What type of clients are in the lobby, foreigners, do they look like they have money to go anywhere but choose this Dentist.

How many days do you need to wait for an appointment may be indicator. Depends on location and if low or high season.

Do Not be afraid to go somewhere else and get a 2nd opinion.

Last crown I had the Dentist was not happy with what the lab made,  had another made Zero cost to me and it has been 4 months and feels like natural tooth.

Just the facts.

Nana Dental Clinic in Huahin put 6 implants, upper and lower jaws for my GF two years ago. Have two year grantee on the implants, and 6 month revisits for checkup. Excellent work. Total cost 210,000฿.

SOA office equipment, clean, modern office.

Female doctor, fully trained in USA and new training in USA once a year. Husband is dentist in USA and American man.

I fully and totally recommend her. Non-stop bus available directly to Huahin from Bangkok Airport, ~3 hr ride.

For implants you'll probably want to be here for the first month after work for followup etc. If bone marrow work needed before implant, plan on longer. A good dentist will tell you careful work and frequent checkups are crucial for successful implants.

PM if you have questions.

I used to go to Tijuana for work.  Fillings were $25.  Root canal $100.

Crowns were $50, had to come back the next day after they had it made outside. That was the local price.  Their equipment looked like used American equipment from the 60s.

Go local, save a bundle.  Go international quality and pay a lot more.

On 8/25/2023 at 1:50 AM, howerde said:

You will not get good/excellent dental  treatment cheaply in Thailand,

No, but it'll be cheaper than rip off western dentists. My sister had a holiday in Thailand as well as getting dental work done for same cost.

I used Grace Dental in Chiang Mai. There is an hotel very close by that would be OK to stay in.

Chiang Mai will be cheaper than Bkk.

2 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I have been going to Payon Clinic in Chiang Mai - Dr. Jay is great. He has been my dentist for over 15 years - I speak Thai but his English is excellent. As most of the dentists in Chiang Mai, I think they are reasonably priced. And he is centrally located... spotlessly clean too, but I would expect that from all dentists in CM... 

A friend of mine had estimates over $10,000 in USA and got fixed up here for $300 - Dentists in USA tend toward extra unnecessary work. 

I think it is very inexpensive compared to USA... and they have all the state of the art equipment here. I was talking w/a friend in New York and told him I had a cleaning for just under $20 - he told me that it costs him $20 to park his car when he goes to the dentist... 

That's NYC, as I used to walk to my dentist when living in Philly suburb, and short drive, parking in front of, when living in Memphis suburb.

Most Yanks don't get a month off of work, to come get 1 root canal & crown done, if even can get it done in 2 weeks, the root canal, then another 10 ish days for the crown.

Actually took 5 weeks for just the crown at BumCrap hospital, which had to be replaced, mere 6 months later. A total clusterFck experience.

Tourist, have to add flight & hotel stays to that total bill.

Edited by KhunLA

On 8/24/2023 at 8:50 PM, howerde said:

You will not get good/excellent dental  treatment cheaply in Thailand, Bangkok international dental center (bidc) or Bangkok dental Hospital(Bidh) have good reputations for implants or Aesthetics if you want quality work, run of the mill fillings etc are cheap at the many dental clinics, i would not use them( went once told i needed 3 fillings replaced, all 3 fell out within 18 months  he never showed me the xrays so i now doubt the work ever needed doing),  the prices for my implants was the same as the UK. you might try the dental centres in some of the hospitals, be careful 

Nonsense. I've had good work done cheap prices.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2023 at 11:26 PM, kaymantee said:

I've been online searching for days and I'm not coming up with anything definite. Any recommendations? Any particular place that's famous (for being good and affordable). I'm looking to do some implants and root canals. Aesthetics (and of course quality) is most important to me (without breaking the bank).

Appreciate any point in the right direction!

bangkokdentalspa.com

Dr Lily Poncheron

Superb. Vast falang experience with perfect English. Sukhumvit Rd. Soi 19.

Best quality and stable work.

I, and my dearest, have been using her since 2009 upon referral from a business colleague and have never ever regretted going to her.