Visa O-X and 4 months per year in Thailand - Which health insurance?

Hi folks,
I'm searching for information about O-X visa requested health insurance.
I plan to get this visa to travel from France to Thailand once a year, staying 4 months in Thailand and 8 months in France each year.

This is what is requested:
Thai medical insurance during their stay in Thailand (per the approval of the Office of Insurance Commission) and medical claims for outpatient must not be less than 40,000 Baht, for inpatient must not be less than 400,000 Baht.

As I will only stay 4 months per year in Thailand I'm wondering if the gov wil accept a 4 months insurance or if it is requested that I get a full year contract.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Cheers 

• Confused 1

Yes it may look ridiculous but I need to be 100% sure that each year (for the next 10 years) I will be allowed to stay in Thailand for 4 months and actually those 4 months will be 2 months Oct/Nov, then back to France in December and back to Thailand Fev/March.

I need a multi-entry visa to be able to also move from Thailand to China and not need to get a new Visa, also from Thailand to France and be sure I will not be stopped at the borders.

I first looked at O-A visa but was wondering if reapply 10 times is an option.

Also a tourist 3 months visa can't be an option as I think if I come back to France in Dec, I need to wait 3 months to reapply for another visa (from my understanding).

I also plan to buy a vehicle there and the Visa O-X is enabling me to do that (Don't know about others but I did not see any info about that).

I worked in Thailand some years ago and got some money on a Thai bank so conditions are ok about the bank account amount requested.

So I went to the conclusion that the O-X is the most flexible in my situation.
My only concern was about Health insurance as it can be very expensive.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Christophe Depoire said:

Yes it may look ridiculous but I need to be 100% sure that each year (for the next 10 years) I will be allowed to stay in Thailand for 4 months and actually those 4 months will be 2 months Oct/Nov, then back to France in December and back to Thailand Fev/March

In that case you have few options.

Obtain a non O retirement with annual extensions

OR.

Obtain ME NON O based on retirement

OR 

METV or other visa exempt with extensions+ border runs.

Non O-X is ridiculous 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thank you @Ben, I did not know this visa, just checked.. Yes I'm actually 53.
Well.. very easy to get, are you joking? 

Requirements are huge.. I don't have 1M$..

Thank you @Dr Jack54, ok got it about those visas, are you sure I can reapply .. for 10 years in that case?

Edited by Christophe Depoire

5 minutes ago, Christophe Depoire said:

Thank you @Dr Jack54, ok got it about those visas, are you sure I can reapply .. for 10 years in that case?

Think you mention you are 53.

You have few options.

One requires financial requirements

That is a non O based on retirement and cut to chase requires money tied up in a Thai bank account in your name only.

Another option is to obtain a multi entry non O retirement which is a visa valid for 12 months ..however requires border bounce every 90 days..

Seriously for annual stay of ony 4 months there are better options.

At one extreme would be enter visa exempt and obtain extension.

Followed by border bounce wish and repeat = 120 days.

Many other options.

For only 4 months imo non O is overkill.

Non O-X is ridiculous 

• Like 1

If you go with O-X you are limited in which insurance companies you can use (see online list). You will have to show full year policy. Frankly these policies are of little use other than to meet visa requirement. You should still get travel or other expat  insurance with at least 3 million baht in medical cover.

If you get O-A visa you can use a foreign insurance policy (such as one issued in France e.g. April) provided the insurer will sign the required certification.  Note that it is posdible to get 2 years out of a single O-A visa by re-entering just before the visa expires (you are stamped in for a full year at each entry). There is no limit on how many times in a row you can apply for O-A visa. 

However there is no need to do this at all given your stated plan to make 2 2 month trips a year.  A simple tourist visa, or visa exempt entry extended another 30 days (or mix of both) would work. Multiple entry Tourist visa (valid for entries over a 6 month period) would also be an option and cover both planned entries if applued for in say September.

I am not aware of any rule requiring you to wait 3 months after leaving Thailand before applying for another Tourist Visa. Back to back entries are frowned on but what you propose, with a 2 month interval back home, should be fine. By the way it is nor a 3 month visa in terms of stay -- it is valid for use for entry for 3 months after issue. On entry  you get 60 day permission to stay which you can apply to extend for another 30 days if necessary at local immigration office. 

Assuming you are a French citizen you can also simply enter visa exempt, you'll be given 30 day permission of stay and can apply to extend that for another 30 days at local immigration office.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

You will travel to Thailand twice within a 12-month period.

A multiple-entry tourist visa (METV) will not give you permission to stay for two months with every visit but it will give you 60 days. These 60 days will cover your Feb-Mar visit. If you need a full two months for the Oct-Nov visit, you can get a 30-day extension of stay for THB 1,900

No insurance is needed to get the METV.

2 hours ago, Christophe Depoire said:

I think I would describe your decision to get the Non O-X as pessimistic rather than ridiculous. You are aware that there are better short term options, but have a bleak view on the prospects of those options being available in the future. Settling for the Non O-X is your way of guaranteeing that you have a longer term solution.

Many who take the same pessimistic view, and who have plenty of money, might be more inclined to go for the 20-year Thailand Elite membership which provides certainty for a longer period. Right now, many consider that option to be cheap, but prices are going to be greatly increased shortly.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I am not aware of any rule requiring you to wait 3 months after leaving Thailand before applying for another Tourist Visa.

At most embassies, Sheryl, you are correct. The Paris embassy has historically been very tough on those applying for tourist visas.

7 hours ago, Maestro said:

You will travel to Thailand twice within a 12-month period.

A multiple-entry tourist visa (METV) will not give you permission to stay for two months with every visit but it will give you 60 days. These 60 days will cover your Feb-Mar visit. If you need a full two months for the Oct-Nov visit, you can get a 30-day extension of stay for THB 1,900

No insurance is needed to get the METV.

Doesn't the METV give 60 day stay on each entry? That has always been my understanding. In which case, if   he got it effective late September could enter in October, stay 60 days and then re-enter in February and stay another 60.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Christophe Depoire said:

Thailand for 4 months and actually those 4 months will be 2 months Oct/Nov, then back to France in December and back to Thailand Fev/March.

You do not even require a visa.

I notice it's only 2 month says you require.

Also there would be 2 months between those visits when in France Dec and Jan.

Just enter Thailand visa exempt each time and obtain an extension each time. 1900b .

BTW : The non O-A option does not require you to obtain one per year. 

Each non O-A can provide almost 2 years..

• Like 1

Fully agree with @DrJack54 that in your case the O-X Visa is absolute overkill, and there is a reason that that Visa is hardly applied for, as there are many far better options available. 

Applying for that Visa solely for its '10 year' validity is a non-reason, as you can be 100% sure that Thailand will not kill most of the other Visa options it provides (the impact of virtually closing the country at the start of the covid-craze in 2020, was an uppercut for the economy that relies heavily on tourism, and only now are they slowly creeping out of that self-inflicted madness). 

• Like 1

I big thank you for all the help and your time folks. I highly appreciate.

I guess from your comments, non O-A visa would be the way to go for me as I will be able to do the 2 trips under one visa and as my main concern was about health insurance, I will get a cheaper one with this visa as you suggested Sheryl.
I could also get a multi-entry tourist visa but I want to avoid applying 2 visas one after another as I may stay only one month in France half Dec/half Jan, I don’t want to think about that in that period. 

Indeed BritTim I was a bit in a « pessimistic » mood and the reason was that I already got several tourist visa some years ago and border agents started to look at me as I was an « escroc », that was not a good feeling..

22 minutes ago, Christophe Depoire said:

I big thank you for all the help and your time folks. I highly appreciate.

In my thinking your thread has been a joke.

From start to finish.

Some folk have posted options.

Your options have been outlined h

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Christophe Depoire said:

Sorry Dr Jack54 if you got the feeling it was a joke, it was not, anyway it helped me and thank you again for your help.

Nice reply. 

Just thinking the Non  O-X 

Would be worst option.

Hope you sort out a good plan

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

8 hours ago, Christophe Depoire said:

I guess from your comments, non O-A visa would be the way to go for me as I will be able to do the 2 trips under one visa and as my main concern was about health insurance

Non O-A has the health insurance requirement too.

Also the insurance requirements you listed in your original post are the old requirement.  It is now 3 million baht policy with no mention of outpatient being required.

This is a list of the companies you can use.  You can select visa type at the top.

Longstay health insurance

Some people use LMG with the highest deductible to get a cheaper policy which basically covers you for nothing just to meet the requirement.

Edited by rwill

3 hours ago, rwill said:

Non O-A has the health insurance requirement too.

Also the insurance requirements you listed in your original post are the old requirement.  It is now 3 million baht policy with no mention of outpatient being required.

This is a list of the companies you can use.  You can select visa type at the top.

Longstay health insurance

Some people use LMG with the highest deductible to get a cheaper policy which basically covers you for nothing just to meet the requirement.

For the initial Non-OA he could use Insurance from his home country which gives him more options plus better coverage. 

For some reason, the Insurance requirements for the Non-OX don't seem to have changed as they have for the Non-OA/LTR (3Million In-Patient), it's still listed as 400K in-patient & 40K outpatient. 

OP: As other's have suggested entering visa exempt & doing an extension on each trip is probably your best approach however if you do want to get a visa then the Non-IMM OA visa is a good option as this will give you almost 2 years access... 

1. Come & go as you please for Year 1 
  2. Just before the end of the visa enter Thailand to get another 1 year permission to stay 
  3. Get a multi re-entry permit & come and go as you please for Year 2 
  4. Then either do an extension or get a new Visa in your home country 

However, if you don't want to get the Health insurance then a 90 Day Non-IMM O Visa can work... 

1. Enter Thailand & after 15-30 days extend your permission to stay for 1 year (This will be 1 year from the end of the 90 days)
  2. Get a multi re-entry permit 
  3. Come & go as you please for 1 year 
  4. Then either do an extension or get a new Visa in your home country  
Edited by Mike Teavee

On 8/26/2023 at 10:15 PM, Ben Zioner said:

You don't  need 1M$, you need a monthly income  of 8000 USD, from pension or other investment.

It's 80K USD per year which works out to an average of approx.

6.7K not 8K USD per month for an LTR Pensioner visa...and must be at least 50 years old. 

And yea,  where the OP said $1M USD in assets is required only applies to the LTR Global Citizen visa which does not have the 50 years old requirement.  

On 8/26/2023 at 8:46 PM, Christophe Depoire said:

Hi folks,
I'm searching for information about O-X visa requested health insurance.
I plan to get this visa to travel from France to Thailand once a year, staying 4 months in Thailand and 8 months in France each year.

This is what is requested:
Thai medical insurance during their stay in Thailand (per the approval of the Office of Insurance Commission) and medical claims for outpatient must not be less than 40,000 Baht, for inpatient must not be less than 400,000 Baht.

As I will only stay 4 months per year in Thailand I'm wondering if the gov wil accept a 4 months insurance or if it is requested that I get a full year contract.

Any help would be greatly appreciated ????
Cheers 

Never heard of a O-x visa it is either a O visa or a O-A visa and then some other stuff like a tourist visa.

20 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Never heard of a O-x visa it is either a O visa or a O-A visa and then some other stuff like a tourist visa.

There is an O-X visa its only available to nationals of about 10 countries aged 50 or over, it is a 10 year visa though you get it as 2  5 year visas 

Edited by howerde
wrong text
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

It's 80K USD per year which works out to an average of approx.

6.7K not 8K USD per month for an LTR Pensioner visa...and must be at least 50 years old. 

And yea,  where the OP said $1M USD in assets is required only applies to the LTR Global Citizen visa which does not have the 50 years old requirement.  

Yep, I stand corrected. It was such a  long time  ago...

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Just thinking the Non  O-X 

Would be worst option.

Why?  The OP said he has  the funds in Thailand.

"I worked in Thailand some years ago and got some money on a Thai bank so conditions are ok about the bank account amount requested."

He get one of those  useless LMG plans, and off  he  goes.  Since he  seems rather young it will cost him next to nothing.

• Haha 2

I worked in Thailand some years ago and got some money on a Thai bank so conditions are ok about the bank account amount requested.

So I went to the conclusion that the O-X is the most flexible in my situation.
My only concern was about Health insurance as it can be very expensive.

On 8/26/2023 at 9:35 PM, Christophe Depoire said:

@Christophe Depoire

The 1M$ is for a LTR Global Citizen visa...and yea, it has other big dollar investment requirements.  However, there are different types of LTR visas like the LTR Pensioner visa (must be at least 50 years old which you are) that do "not" require 1M$ on assets.  It's basically geared towards having annual pension/passive/fixed income (earned income of wages/salary not accepted) of at least $80K....."OR" at least $40K but less than $80K income with a $250K investment in property, Thai govt bonds, or foreign direct investment.   

The health insurance requirement is $50K (foreign or Thai) "OR" you can self-insure with a  $100K equivalent in a bank acct (foreign or Thai) for at least 12 months.    

And all LTR visas authorize a Work Permit...even the Pensioner visa, whereas, with an OX visa a work permit is not authorized.

A key thing to note is you do not have to have any deposits in Thai bank accts (but it's OK if you do) and your insurance policy can be foreign or Thai.  Or said another way a person can get a LTR Pensioner visa without having one baht deposited in Thailand and can use a foreign insurance policy; with an OX visa you must have a Bt3M in a Thai bank and must have a Thai insurance policy. 

Also, with an OX visa if you staying in Thailand over 1 year there is the requirement for annual review at your local Thai immigration office to ensure you are still complying with the OX requirements.   Actually the requirement just says the annual review is required at the local office....I'm not sure how it would work if you are not in Thailand.  The OX visa seems to be geared towards those who come to live full time in Thailand versus just a few months each year.

Now the multi-entry LTR visas are pretty much for a niche group just like the OX visa, but  there are ways to qualify without needing on have even one baht deposited in Thailand and you can use a foreign insurance policy or self insurance which you can not do with an OX visa.   So, you might want to check to see if you meet LTR Pensioner visa requirements...see below snapshot for the BoI LTR website for a LTR Pensioner visa.....each of the other LTR visa types has different requirements.

image.png.0682efa87642f724e8418edd4a6d41fb.png

• Like 1

Whether you like it or not... you are required to have the health insurance policy for the entire time you have the OX Visa in your passport.

It's NOT ???? a...I  choose to have it when I am in Thailand.

The visa requirements say that you must have the health insurance for the OX Visa. 

Period.

Edited by travelerjim