Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Dizzy, headache.

Neeranam

I've been dizzy when getting out of bed the last few days. 

Also had headache 2 days. 

Had swollen left calf muscle last week, but better now. 

Pretty sure that was caused by very hot bath after running 7.5 km with no shoes on. 

Any doctor in the house? 

Also dropped a steroid inhaler to half strength recently, but breathing seems OK. 

• Confused 1

The dizziness and headaches could be Vertigo, I had a couple of instances of this over the last 5 years.

A visit to the outpatients and a course of medication ( 5 days I think ) cleared it right up.

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/ears-nose-and-throat/vertigo#:~:text=Vertigo is commonly caused by,migraines – severe headaches

54 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm gonna awfulize here a little.  (Okay, a lot)

It's possible the swollen calf was a blood clot, and your other symptoms are serious.

But don't listen to me.  Get to a doctor.  

That was my first thought but swelling is down and they're is/was no pain or redness. 

I read that if difficulty breathing or pain in chest seek treatment. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, impulse said:

I've already exceeded the limits of my medical schooling.  But perhaps they should have told you to seek treatment if you noticed any unusual symptoms. 

Awfulizing again, the swelling may have gone down when the clot broke free.  And now it's looking for another place to lodge.  I'd sure hate to wait 5 minutes too long to get a genuine medical opinion, and have a stroke...

Hopefully, it's nothing.  Or a case of the new Covid, which seems to be pretty mild.  But with doctors so cheap in Thailand, is it worth the risk?

BTW, the reason I go to "clot" so quick is that my brother, who had a heart transplant, gets bulging veins and swelling in his legs pretty regularly.  He goes in and they treat the clots.  It's probably happened to him a dozen times in the 4 years since his transplant.  Apparently, not a big deal, but they do want to treat them.

Thanks for the reply. 

1 hour ago, nglodnig said:

Good idea - post your query on a website where there is a team of medical experts online who can diagnose you instantly and give you the correct advice.

GO TO A DOCTOR

(Sheryl excepted of course ???? )

well said 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

That was my first thought but swelling is down and they're is/was no pain or redness. 

I read that if difficulty breathing or pain in chest seek treatment. 

Lack of sodium is my guess. You lose a lot due to exercise or sweat.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

So what are your qualifications that make you more qualified than "thousands of medical professionals" to advise us about running?

I wasn't going to bring it up, but since you asked. 

My qualifications are that I am a conspiracy theorist.

They want you to bang up your knees so they can make money off of you.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, cooked said:

What a silly thing, not to say rude, thing to say.

I'm 75, running 40 +K (up to 70 K) weekly and only ever had one injury, off running for 10 days.

here's another argument i have against running. 

muscles get smaller. 

now since this is a running magazine, they at least admit that this phenomenon exists, but they put a positive spin on it. 

but I don't think an exercise that depletes muscle mass is a good thing. 

https://www.outsideonline.com/health/running/training-advice/running-101/ask-pete-why-do-my-muscles-get-smaller-from-running/

Why Do My Muscles Get Smaller from Running? I’ve been putting in miles and getting stronger, but my muscles seem to be shrinking—I’m getting skinnier, not fitter-looking.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

I had no idea what happened, where I was, what time, day, week or month it was, no idea where my wife was or even if she knew where I was.

Been there and done that and it usually involved copious amounts of Single Malt Whiskey; 15 year old McCallan as I recall. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

From personal experience twice this year I have blacked out.

The first time was in February I was sitting up at the kitchen.

When I woke up I was in hospital 65 km away having been taken to the local hospital 13 km away, and then taken directly to the provincial hospital.

I had no idea what happened, where I was, what time, day, week or month it was, no idea where my wife was or even if she knew where I was. I spent 3 nights, 4 days in hospital and was released to go home and spent 4 or 5 days in bed, getting out for the toilet and a shower which my wife gave me.

From waking up, sitting on the bed, getting my stuff off, going for a shower, going back to my room, getting dressed and back on the bed took about 1 hour.

For 3 weeks I never left the house and could only walk by using my walking stick and holding onto the furniture.

The second time I was watching something on youtube sitting in my chair. I woke up making the same sort of noise that the ghosts make in Thai soap operas. My wife and my neighbour were fanning me and hitting me  to make sure that I was still alive.

By the time the ambulance arrived I was awake and something like normal.

Again I was taken to the local hospital but this time I could answer questions and still got sent to the provincial hospital and spent 2 nights and days there, the first night in the corridor as all the wards were full. My wife stayed either at the hospital or at a friends place close by.

The hospital doctor stopped all my current meds including my blood thinning tablets and gave me a different lot.

They seem to work better and sadly at 79 I have finally started to exercise using the UK NHS exercises fo the elderly which I do 3 times a day for about 30 minutes a session.

My advice to you is simple and given from personal 

experience. (all caps)

GO TO A GOOD HOSPITAL ASAP AND GET A FULL EXAMINATION.

Listen to the doctor and take his advice very seriously.

Do an internet search on blood pressure both low and high.

The only person to take any advice from on ANN/TVF is Sheryl. Ignore everybody else's advice, including mine if you wish.

Keep an eye on the health forum here.

Thanks for the reply. 

• Thanks 1

Saw a doctor at a clinic and was charged 1000 baht for just getting blood pressure taken, 146/86, pulse 53(normal for me) and a few pills. He said my BP was slightly high. 

Just asked a couple of questions, said don't worry and gave me Nuro B pills and flutan, which are for migraine. 

Not happy with service, thought he'd check some other things. On main road in Hua Hin. 

2 hours ago, save the frogs said:

This is not a link to a scientific study either.

The article is quoting/referencing a scientific study.

However, if you search long and hard enough on your own, you will find the original scientific study yourself. I'm too lazy to look for it. I already know this stuff is true. 

https://running.allwomenstalk.com/reasons-running-too-much-is-bad-for-you/

That's right — one of the craziest reasons running too much is bad for you is that it actually might damage your heart. Studies have shown that some hardcore marathoners actually have more coronary plaque buildup in their arteries than sedentary people. Running causes inflammation, so perhaps this is why extreme runners have heart problems — they push their bodies to the extreme and never give them time to properly heal. All that wear and tear might be just as dangerous as being a couch potato. 

I agree. Just walk 10km dont run.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Saw a doctor at a clinic and was charged 1000 baht for just getting blood pressure taken, 146/86, pulse 53(normal for me) and a few pills. He said my BP was slightly high. 

Just asked a couple of questions, said don't worry and gave me Nuro B pills and flutan, which are for migraine. 

Not happy with service, thought he'd check some other things. On main road in Hua Hin. 

Buy your own blood pressure meter and measure it at home. Measure in the morning (several times), before lunch and after going to the toilet. And also in the evening. Doctor clinic readings can be elevated for many people (mine are). 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DavisH said:

Buy your own blood pressure meter and measure it at home. Measure in the morning (several times), before lunch and after going to the toilet. And also in the evening. Doctor clinic readings can be elevated for many people (mine are). 

OK, thanks