Foreigners arrested for working without permission

webfact

58 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Because Thai’s don’t want that sort of work….  

Factories, building sites, construction, restaurants etc….  There is a huge availability of jobs for migrant labourers because Thai’s won’t do those jobs (in so many cases)….  Authorities know this so have to turn a blind eye while playing the game and also getting some payouts too.

Our previous maid  (Burmese) was ‘caught’ on her day off outside of the district she is registered. We had to go & get her from the Police station, it cost me 2000 baht for her to be released. When I collected her there were about 30 burmese all sat on the floor in a room.  

Quite the earner. If there are no foreign labourers, there are fewer opportunities to extort them & or their employers.

The police drive around my area looking for them, our cleaner tells us all the stories, you were lucky only 2000 baht I know of a story were it was 12,000 baht for 2 of them and to get the bike back which the police also confiscated, 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

To all those who does not agree with wit my input, what's wrong in asking for work permit like we, European foreigners do? are they better than us? poorer than us? we go through the motions, let them do the same, poor or not.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I've personally known only two guys who tried to get work permits. There was a mountain of paperwork, multiple trips to Bangkok because there were always MORE documents required than the instructions originally stated, and in the end neither of them got a permit granted. I have a feeling a street vendor has neither the time nor the resources to do this.  As I just posted above, they need a common sense worker's visa/work permit program.

The work permits are different and usually a separate department for Burmese workers but I agree with you, around where I live there has been a lot of construction over the last couple of years and from what I can see is mostly migrant workers, 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

In line with the policies of Lt. Gen. Damrongsak Kittiprapas, Chief of the Police Department, to monitor foreigners involved in international crime or misbehavior within Thailand, the Immigration Office, led by Lt. Gen. Phakphum Sapchatchawan, has initiated an investigation in collaboration with local enforcement agencies.

Acting on complaints received about unauthorized foreign vendors operating in Soi Phetchaburi 31, Watthana District, authorities descended on the area to investigate, reported Siam Rath.

They identified a group comprised of Laotian and Myanmar nationals, along with a Thai employer selling food. On inspection, none of the foreigners possessed valid work permits. Consequently, charges were brought against them for working without permission.

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

Additionally, the Thai employer was accused of hiring unauthorized foreign workers. All three were detained and handed over to Phaya Thai police station for legal proceedings.

Sanctions for these infractions can vary, with foreign employees facing charges between 5,000 and 50,000 baht, while business owners may be fined anywhere from 10,000 to 100,000 baht. Once fined, the foreign individuals would be deported and blacklisted, preventing their re-entry into Thailand.

The Immigration Office urges the public to remain vigilant and report any suspicious activities to their hotline at 1178 or their official website.

Top Picture: Siam Rath

-- ASEAN NOW 2023-09-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Hang em high

56 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

In order for workers from neighboring countries to get a work permit they need to get a certain type of visa which cists about 20k baht and takes 6 months to arrange.  Not feasible for daily laborers like this to afford and pretty sure bet the Thai rmployer won't pay for it.

The Thai economy is heavily dependent on cheap unskilled labor from neighnoring countries but Thsiland has fsiled to develop lefal  systems to facilitate this. The result is hundreds of thousands of underpaid illegals living in fear and dubject to all manner of exploitation. 

The same argument can be to justify, say, driving a motor car drivers's without a licence because getting a licence requiters knowledge and money, as well as other things in life that also require money and knowledge, so? what is the answer? to petition the Thai government to change the laws and allows those people to work as and when they wish without paying taxes without health cover in case of an accident not to mention retirement funds.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Sanctions for these infractions can vary, with foreign employees facing charges between 5,000 and 50,000 baht, while business owners may be fined anywhere from 10,000 to 100,000 baht. Once fined, the foreign individuals would be deported and blacklisted, preventing their re-entry into Thailand.

And the Thai owner will be frying tonight?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ukrules said:

Laughable, they're going after the lowest possible hanging fruit.

Willing to bet that it was a shopkeeper down the road the reported him.  Unfortunately the police have to act.

I agree it is low hanging fruit.  Hell in pats a Farang can't clear a table without competition complaining to police 

• Like 2