Weighing passengers to become standard for Bangkok Airways

webfact

36 minutes ago, portlandtree said:

So small Thais get a discount??

I was thinking this... Orientals and Indian folks usually are smaller anyhow... although that is changing nowadays. A fatty surcharge isn't going to fly I suspect. 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The airline said the weighing will be done at the departure gate before boarding and it is seeking cooperation from all passengers.

New Zealand is doing a short term 10 week voluntary check at Aukland only to readjust its average weight figures (not reviewed for 20 years) which is perfectly reasonable as New Zealanders are getting heavier. Plus it is voluntary and anonymous.

Korean Air did it for a one week period at Gimpo and Incheon airports last week for the same reason. Voluntary too.

I think this is simply the media twisting a standard practice into a story with darker undertones.

If you read the full article its about Thai Airways gaúging average weight in a short term survey not picking on the fatties.

Edited by Muzzique
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bobydog said:

So you would be happy flying in an.unbalanced aircraft and accept any consequences? 

You can’t be serious. Millions of flight have taken place so far without this procedure. Seat allocation is done with balancing taken into account. Planes are built to allow for discrepancies in weight distribution to a point. Argueing for the sake arguing?

• Thumbs Up 1

More like a Bangkok Airways executive while surfing online at works or attending an overseas junket came across the idea. Wanting to make a name for himself with no foresight or thought. 
There are much bigger airlines that are not considering this and there must be a reason for it. Weighing at boarding leaves little time to make adjustments for safety reasons. Another half-baked idea from Thailand that is likely to be scrapped, delayed, modified etc in due course. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Standard practice already decades ago for airlines flying small aircrafts (like 2 or 3 seats/row, twin propeller), in the S. Pacific where a graceful lady averages around 130kg, or in Siberia where people wear very very heavy clothing.

It was about total aircraft weight and distribution, they don't make you pay more if heavier.

3 hours ago, MurakamiX said:

Somebody who is a body builder and say 250lbs, is not healthy. They can barely breathe while walking. It all comes down to the weight your heart must carry around all day, and in this instance, the weight you put onto a plane. 

Bullsh*t. I weigh 245lb, lift heavy weights 4 times a week and have just finished my thrice weekly morning 10km run. 

My heart is beating away happily and consistently and through exercise intend to keep it that way.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

Maybe they also start measuring our leg length and issue better seats to those who are tall?

Well they have  been doing this for decades. It is calle business class. Can't complain about leg room when one pays 800 USD for a GVA/BKK.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tequila makes me happy said:

Bullsh*t. I weigh 245lb, lift heavy weights 4 times a week and have just finished my thrice weekly morning 10km run. 

My heart is beating away happily and consistently and through exercise intend to keep it that way.

Is that relevant to the subject though? At 250 lbs you are above average weight and I would expect physically large. Do you believe you should pay more for your seat on an aircraft.... ? Doesn't strike me as unfounded. 

Stay healthy, despite it sounding exhausting.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DudleySquat said:

I called a few airlines and suggested porta-potties at every gate. 

If everyone could take a huge dump at the gate, the savings in aviation fuel would be tremendous.

Save the planet by LEAVING YOUR CRAP BEHIND.

image.thumb.png.c0ac9fd6f26287e586e1fcf82ca1aa73.pngAn insider told me 

Good thinking , a mandatory dose of epsom salts at check in .

This could be done with a little bit of common sense from the check in desk, simply by visually assessing passengers. 

Oh, wait... Thais don't have common sense or the ability to think for themselves. 

Edited by RandolphGB
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

The mathematics dictate that something like what happened in Samoa could happen again, hence they're being more cautious. In addition, there's no doubt some hay to be made by increasing the amount of freight cargo based on the results. They ought to ask for weight during booking.

21 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Is that relevant to the subject though? At 250 lbs you are above average weight and I would expect physically large. Do you believe you should pay more for your seat on an aircraft.... ? Doesn't strike me as unfounded. 

Stay healthy, despite it sounding exhausting.

Quite so, the average male in the USA, is around 200lbs, or 90kgs approx! Anyone over that weight should pay more, if you have a checked bag over the say 30kg you have to pay more? Makes sense?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

If they were serious about this, they would assign seating after weighing you!  Put the heavier ones in the middle of the plane and the lightest toward the front or back.

Of course this would split up families - I am 6'1" and 86 kilos, while my wife is a foot shorter and 20 kilos lighter!

Edited by Callmeishmael

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

So are they weighed to calculate gross t/o weight of the aircraft or will the airline stipulate who sits where so the Captain can maintain proper trim of the aircraft? 

Its just for gauging an average weight for future planning. Its a short term, voluntary anonymous survey. Don't be misled by the Media sticking a more sinister spin to it. This is a common practice with most airlines so they don't run out of fuel because they were using outdated average weight figures.

On small planes they often move people around for this reason but on larger planes it is not common unless you have 4 teams of rugby players who all want to sit on the right hand side for some reason and a 50 strong female K pop band who all want to sit on the left. 

Edited by Muzzique

2 hours ago, Brigante7 said:

So if I weigh 120kg and my wife is 50kg, will she get a cheaper airfare or is it just another excuse to rip-off customers?

Do you really think that economy class passengers are getting ripped off by airlines? It is the First and Business class passengers that make the profit (if any) of the airlines.

• Sad 1