Drinking Too Much Water?

Neeranam

20 hours ago, PJ71 said:

it's not possible to drink too much water.

i drink 1 litre as soon as i wake up.

You're wrong. Drink enough and you dilute the electrolytes in your blood and cause multiple ionic imbalances. The light-headedness you feel is the result.

Don't believe me. Just do a quick web search

So how much fluid does the average, healthy adult living in a temperate climate need? The U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine determined that an adequate daily fluid intake is: About 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) of fluids a day for men. About 11.5 cups (2.7 liters) of fluids a day for women.

https://www.mayoclinic.org › water

23 hours ago, BE88 said:

To drink water there are limits logically why should one or more drink liters a day? But if you drink beer there are no limits any more.

Some gout sufferers are advised to drink 3+ litres of water a day

On 9/21/2023 at 11:13 AM, PJ71 said:

When you drink too much water, your kidneys can't get rid of the excess water. The sodium content of your blood becomes diluted. This is called hyponatremia and it can be life-threatening.

57 minutes ago, SportRider said:

Some gout sufferers are advised to drink 3+ litres of water a day

It's not doctors who drink 3 liters of water a day.

A liter of beer a day would be enough to make the kidneys work well to evacuate the crystals and the patient and would be more happier.

On 9/21/2023 at 2:13 PM, PJ71 said:

It is possible (medical fact) that a person can drink too much water. If you drink too much it will kill you!

Here's a reliable Australian governmental medical website about water intake:

https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/drinking-water-and-your-health

16 minutes ago, Seppius said:

36 grams of sugar in 20oz serving, if you are happy with that fine, I stopped drinking it years ago when I found out,

There used to be a sugar free version sold in Thailand, but a few months ago it disappeared off the shelves everywhere. I'll only drink one now when I feel dehydrated, maybe 1 a week or so. 

I don't like taking in all that sugar too, but I've never found anything better. 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 5:40 AM, Sheryl said:

Drinking very large amounts of plain water without electrolytes can affect your electrolyte balance, in particular may cause low sodium.

4L a day is too much for just about anyone, anyhow.

<snip>

That's interesting - I drink up to a litre when I get up along with my heart meds, then when i have a coffee I drink water as well (as per the Mediterranean practice) and if I'm outside and sweating will have a half litre as and when I feel I need it. (ie if i'm hot and thirsty)

So on a hot day I can get through 4 to 5 litres but I do look at my urine's colour and it varies from clear to pale yellow.

Plus i have annual blood tests for heart, liver and kidney functions

Having had heart problems I am careful not to eat too much salty food but admit that some of what I enjoy is  a bit salty (food-wise I mean ????)

When I discussed this with my UK GP he confirmed that all is well.

So why do you say 4L a day is too much @Sheryl  ?

3 minutes ago, VBF said:

That's interesting - I drink up to a litre when I get up along with my heart meds, then when i have a coffee I drink water as well (as per the Mediterranean practice) and if I'm outside and sweating will have a half litre as and when I feel I need it. (ie if i'm hot and thirsty)

So on a hot day I can get through 4 to 5 litres but I do look at my urine's colour and it varies from clear to pale yellow.

Plus i have annual blood tests for heart, liver and kidney functions

Having had heart problems I am careful not to eat too much salty food but admit that some of what I enjoy is  a bit salty (food-wise I mean ????)

When I discussed this with my UK GP he confirmed that all is well.

So why do you say 4L a day is too much @Sheryl  ?

I said 4 L of plain water is too much. Not 4 L of fluids.

If needing as much as 4L of fluid a day, at least some of it should be in a solution which includes balanced electrolytes.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I said 4 L of plain water is too much. Not 4 L of fluids.

If needing as much as 4L of fluid a day, at least some of it should be in a solution which includes balanced electrolytes.

With respect, I am talking about 4 to 5 litres of plain water. I've only used electrolytes once when it was VERY hot (walking up a hillside in Thailand) and at that time my urine was dark yellow. Normally though it's plain water, plus whatever coffee, or beer I happen to fancy.