Stick Your Mister Where The Sun Don't Shine

Neeranam

58 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Yeah, they try it on. The clueless farang smile back, or worse. 

Can you imagine a hospital in the UK calling for mister x,y z, then using another pronoun for someone with dark skin? 

Or in the US changing someone's honorific because of their name - Mr. Hank, Mr. Chip jnr, Senor Juan?

Indeed. Can you imagine if the hospital charged more for treatment based on the race/nationality of the patient and when sued, they were backed up by the courts and the government as happened in Thailand. 

It's deeply ironic that western countries are the most diverse, fair and accepting countries in the world while also being labelled as the most racist and xenophobic.

We even "positively" discriminate against our own people for things like jobs and university places but it's never enough.

I fear a massive backlash if this overreach is allowed to continue. 

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, bob smith said:

The worst of all is when you hear the dreaded "herrroo, welcome" 

or the classic one liner "where you come fom?"

and not forgetting the one that never gets old "how long you stay thai rand?"

To say I am bored to the teeth of these uneducated yokels would be a huge understatement. 

Purest of foolishness.

What do people who meet you casually in your home country say to you?

Something of the deepest significance?

Something showing deep understanding of human feelings?

Or just some throw away small talk?

As in the classic SNL skit, it's possible that you have a large arthropod lodged in your posterior.

Edited by cdemundo
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:
8 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Or one I get often -  'you have Thai wife'? 

When I got the usual interrogation I just lied about everything.

Haven't been asked that question for a long time. Used to be one of the first by  taxi drivers years ago. But it seems they don't know 'that much' English anymore.

4 hours ago, RanongCat said:

Is it because you consider yourself  ever so "Thai" due to having endured the test to gain a Thai Passport category

No, being annoyed at being called mister has always annoyed me. 

It's not hard to get a Thai passport. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Indeed. Can you imagine if the hospital charged more for treatment based on the race/nationality of the patient and when sued, they were backed up by the courts and the government as happened in Thailand. 

It's deeply ironic that western countries are the most diverse, fair and accepting countries in the world while also being labelled as the most racist and xenophobic.

We even "positively" discriminate against our own people for things like jobs and university places but it's never enough.

Good post. 

Ethnic groups in the UK stick together and fight for their rights. In Thailand farang seem quite happy to remain discriminated against. AS long as this happens, we will never get equality. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yup, looks like the op should wear a T-shirt with “ I am Thai , show me some respect “ written on it  ……. in Thai script of course.

Or do like the rest of us and accept our facial attributes will always mean we are treated differently irrespective of whatever paperwork we have acquired.

Here is one of the said above.  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JonnyF said:

i demand the backlash now

• Like 1

I find it totally appropriate when someone attempts to engage and starts with Mister and it's usually accompanied with a smile and pleasant tone ..

people that know me usually great me as Khoon Lou

call me anything you want ,,,,    just not late for dinner !

18 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Yes it is just you. Khun is for Thai people.

many and maybe most often, people call me Khun - - but mister is not offensive - it seems like an attempt to be polite in my language. I don't like when pushy tailors call me "boss" when I walk past their stores. 

19 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Is it just me, or do others get annoyed being called 'mister' everywhere you go?

Some tell me it is Thais trying to be respectful, but I disagree, I think it's disrespectful. People who know show respect by say 'khun' or 'ajarn' Neeranam.  

It's just you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Is it just me, or do others get annoyed being called 'mister' everywhere you go?

Some tell me it is Thais trying to be respectful, but I disagree, I think it's disrespectful. People who know show respect by say 'khun' or 'ajarn' Neeranam.  

It's just you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Neeranam said:

That is obviously a huge problem that is destroying your quality of life. Thais know that most farang don't speak Thai and most Thais have, if at all, only a rudimentary grasp of English so mister would seem quite appropriate, better than "Hey you" which is sometimes used. Incidentally 'ajarn' would only be appropriate if you were a professor.

• Like 1