Thailand Ruined

Celsius

I have not put in a tax return for the last three years. I do my 90 day reports online, in about one minute.

AFAICT, rents and condo prices in Thailand have retreated over the last couple of years. The increase in food prices here is insignificant compared to Western countries. P4P companionship is still very inexpensive.

I am interested in what country the OP considers to be a superior slice of paradise.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

Its not a fake credit card its actually the membership card that immigration want to see when doing annual renewals - which i don't have to do, i can just fly out and back in again.

Just applied for 20 year upgrade. Negligible in the grand scheme.

How do i win? ...geo-arbitrage

You bought an Elite Visa to do a geo-arbitrage in a country that will soon make you file tax returns?

I am sure the nice Thai Elite visa staff helped you open a bank account too?

Did someone on Thailand expat forum give you this priceless advice?

Edited by Celsius

Just now, Celsius said:

You bought an Elite Visa to do a geo-arbitrage in a country that will soon make you file tax returns?

I am sure the nice Thai Elite visa staff helped you open a bank account too?

A tax return? Oh no. Its all so new to me 55

No i paid an agent 4000 baht to open one before i paid for elite.

All negligible mate. 

46 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

People could also use Wise, which uses domestic bank transfers to keep fees low, and they show as domestic transfers.

Unless you need them to show as International Transfers to satisfy Mr IO.

Click 'long stay in Thailand'

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Celsius said:

Back in 2013 after visiting Thailand twice in 2002 and 2006 I decided to give it a shot and move permanently. I came as a tourist, went back and forth from Vientiane and KL for a year (a lot of fun). After that I applied for a 1 year Thai language  study visa which was ridiculously easy to obtain and so cheap (16,000b plus 1900b for every 3 month extension). 

in 2015 I got married and got my marriage extension. Despite that I still loved visiting other countries.... Malaysia, Laos, Japan.... so living on a tourist visa would have not bothered me one bit. However, during that time there were a lot of old grumpy men on this forum whining and whinging about backpackers and how Thailand should crack down on them.... and they did eventually. To me this animosity towards younger generation of travelers was really stupid as I knew the more "rules and regulations" would be coming soon. I remember in 2018 and 2019 while travelling there would always be some old guy in front of me being questioned by immigration about his frequent visits to Thailand. Meantime the covid happened so all this was put on hold.

So, what old people wanted old people got. Enjoy doing your tax returns while doing your 90 day reports, begging for visa extensions while having zero rights in this country. I'll be out of here by April. 

lot-flying-plane.gif

Staying in Thailand is less and less fun. Fortunately, I decided to return to the West in a few years. Thailand's shenanigans only encourage me to visit, or re-visit other countries in the region in the meantime. Thank you, Thailand.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, HampiK said:

Very surprising how many users always talked about they will leave soon. Or they will leave if certain condition change.

At the end I am not sure how many of these posters then really leave or as I guess are more of a statement without anything behind!

They said it when Obama and Trump won.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Canada isn't it. Cold one day. Freezing the next. Nice country but maybe you'll end up here half the time like I plan to do with Australia .. 180 days is enough in either country

Every country is boring after 45 days

• Sad 2
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, Celsius said:

Back in 2013 after visiting Thailand twice in 2002 and 2006 I decided to give it a shot and move permanently. I came as a tourist, went back and forth from Vientiane and KL for a year (a lot of fun). After that I applied for a 1 year Thai language  study visa which was ridiculously easy to obtain and so cheap (16,000b plus 1900b for every 3 month extension). 

in 2015 I got married and got my marriage extension. Despite that I still loved visiting other countries.... Malaysia, Laos, Japan.... so living on a tourist visa would have not bothered me one bit. However, during that time there were a lot of old grumpy men on this forum whining and whinging about backpackers and how Thailand should crack down on them.... and they did eventually. To me this animosity towards younger generation of travelers was really stupid as I knew the more "rules and regulations" would be coming soon. I remember in 2018 and 2019 while travelling there would always be some old guy in front of me being questioned by immigration about his frequent visits to Thailand. Meantime the covid happened so all this was put on hold.

So, what old people wanted old people got. Enjoy doing your tax returns while doing your 90 day reports, begging for visa extensions while having zero rights in this country. I'll be out of here by April. 

lot-flying-plane.gif

Thailand isn't ruined, you can't cope. Something very wrong if you need to beg for a visa.

It is pretty normal to pay tax in the country you live in. If you already paid tax, there most likely will be a DTA unless your home country's government are a bunch of idiots.

Just now, FritsSikkink said:

Thailand isn't ruined, you can't cope. Something very wrong if you need to beg for a visa.

It is pretty normal to pay tax in the country you live in. If you already paid tax, there most likely will be a DTA unless your home country's government are a bunch of idiots.

You don't live in Thailand. You are a guest.

Unless you have a PR. Do you?

• Haha 1

I think what people are complaining about is not having to pay taxes here in Thailand as they already do (sales tax). What they are complaining about is possibly having to pay tax on bringing money to Thailand that they have already paid tax on in their home country. Even with reciprocal tax agreements that are open to interpretation by different officials and may involve lots of extra paperwork there are genuine concerns about paying tax twice what is your money.

1 hour ago, Prubangboy said:

Agreed, as a boomer, the young hate me for being boring, lecturing, and rightfully hating Rap.

Fascism? It never gets that intellectual.

Figures, going by the amount of tat posted in one topic. IMO, newbies (many of which are existing niks) should be on probation and have a max post rate of x1 per week for, say, the first 5 years.

I hear you, op, it's not what it was here (waaayyy off from 20y ago) and you'd have to be very switched off to not notice even the past couple/three years. Any tax invasion would be a major downer. Still better than the alternative even when putting up with boorish boomers... you know, the gen that bled our countries dry. :whistling:

All the best. 

7 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

I think what people are complaining about is not having to pay taxes here in Thailand as they already do (sales tax). What they are complaining about is possibly having to pay tax on bringing money to Thailand that they have already paid tax on in their home country.

Actually I am complaining about the possibility to have to do a tax return.... even if I have to pay zero tax in Thailand. There will be million things that can go wrong including every office having their own interpretation..... just like with visa extensions. 

Who wants to deal with this?

1 hour ago, HampiK said:

Very surprising how many users always talked about they will leave soon. Or they will leave if certain condition change.

At the end I am not sure how many of these posters then really leave or as I guess are more of a statement without anything behind!

P.S. this not specific to the OP of this thread.

Several of my friends have already left and I think others will follow.

Thailand has worsened in the last 10 years in many places, extreme pollution,dangerous for health, increased road insecurity due to the increase in traffic on the same roads, political insecurity and now complication in obtaining a visa renewal as well as filling out the tax declaration written in Thai of which an accountant will be needed, increases in bank deposits expected, compulsory health insurance likely in the near future.

Without excluding further tightening in the future. Is it enough to rethink why we stay here in Thailand?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

I think what people are complaining about is not having to pay taxes here in Thailand as they already do (sales tax). What they are complaining about is possibly having to pay tax on bringing money to Thailand that they have already paid tax on in their home country. Even with reciprocal tax agreements that are open to interpretation by different officials and may involve lots of extra paperwork there are genuine concerns about paying tax twice what is your money.

It's not sales tax, it's VAT. Not same same.