Stranded British man seeks help as wife takes passport and sails away

snoop1130

12 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Speaking from experience, as I'm not loaded, there are very many nice ladies. The only problem is that they almost always want total commitment (marriage).

Agree 100%

Most times, the loaded look in the wrong places for nice ladies.

8 hours ago, smedly said:

she may be arrested when she arrives in the UK, not a wise thing to do steal a passport even if it is your husbands.

Yes, it doesn't mention if they were visiting or live in Thailand. As he has a return ticket I assume he lives in the UK, at least some of the time. If she lives there with him then stealing his passport is not a good idea, particularly if she's going to need a visa at some point. 

She may have had it in her bag and just run off without thinking about it. My wife carries mine if needed as I don't have a bag.

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

True, but does anyone really care?

Amazing you 'tragedies' like this gain so many posts.

I don't know...  In addition to the "glad that's not me" aspect, it's a good cautionary tale. 

Thinking about how well and truly screwed I'd be if someone stole my passport, my wallet and my cell phone in Nakhon Nowhere, LOS.  Whether it's an errant wife or just a garden variety thief, it could ruin an otherwise great day.  Starting with the flight fare that I'd never get back, and going on to the hotels I couldn't check into while waiting for my ETD's...   Then there's the cost of the ETD's and how to get funds to pay for the flight I'd end up on.   Especially when I doubt you can get funds from home with no passport or ETD's.  And that's if I could remember my family phone numbers without my cell phone in my hands.

Kinda scary and maybe someone like me can take a lesson from someone else's misery instead of learning the hard way.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Taboo2 said:

Any man who lets his woman control his passport is not a man!  My dad would beat the living hell out of me if I was ever to let a woman control my bank account or personal items like Driver's License or Passport!  Never!

No Sympathy for him.

Your a pleasant chap but not your fault considering your Dad is SH!!!!t head.

If, big if, this passport was stolen I would presume it was his 'Thai" wife.  With a little money and all her contacts it would be easy to return to her family and wait for him to beg for her to come back.  Young guys here seem to marry these hot tempered type. 

Doubt it is a Brit because all he would have to do wait at airport check-in.  On second thought - maybe that is his plan. Love these articles missing most the important details.

9 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Really! So UK denies their citizens to replace a stolen passport? Or is it just the citizens of the country that have problem with a little paperwork and have to complain as always?

Not quite so easy in the 1980s I got mugged in Saigon, consulate didn't want to help, had to travel the length of Vietnam to Hanoi, to UK embassy it took 12 weeks to get a new passport, 

Once I got a passport I could cash my renewed American Express checks, I then tried to leave the country back to home in Thailand, my first attempt to leave the country by air was denied no entry visa stamp in new passport, I had police report saying passport say it had been stolen, I later learned that you had to put a $50 bill in the new passport,

I was only ment to be there 3 weeks!????

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

First he did not get a new PP he got an Emergency travel document, he would have to explain it was stolen, which Does require a police report.

"...which Does require a police report..."   

Hahahahaaa...!   That's what I said. And, even though you are also wrong, I'm sure that you actually meant to post "which Does Not require a police report".   To your greater knowledge, I bow.

I do know that new passports aren't issued at the Embassy, "new passport" was a figure of speech referencing an ETD.   

"First..."

Ok, that was "first", what was your second point, did you forget it?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's, obviously, not the problem, if it was, why would getting a new UK passport to replace a stolen one require a police report about it's theft?

Because unfortunately some people pretend to lose the passport and then sell theirs... so there are steps you have to go through...  You have to have the report from police in both cases - lost or stolen.

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cowellandrew said:

Not quite so easy in the 1980s I got mugged in Saigon, consulate didn't want to help, had to travel the length of Vietnam to Hanoi, to UK embassy it took 12 weeks to get a new passport, 

Once I got a passport I could cash my renewed American Express checks, I then tried to leave the country back to home in Thailand, my first attempt to leave the country by air was denied no entry visa stamp in new passport, I had police report saying passport say it had been stolen, I later learned that you had to put a $50 bill in the new passport,

I was only ment to be there 3 weeks!????

You should have gone to immigration to get the entry stamps and whatever visa you had put in the new passport.  That is the first step after getting your new passport.

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A stranded British man, faced with the loss of his passport and funds after a family disagreement

If I was a fly on the wall, I would know what that disagreement could have been, e.g. why you go bar by self, why you not take me, why you not stay me.

She sounds like a real trooper, choose your wives carefully and tell them how it's going to be before you marry them, that said, never leave your passport or money within their reach, after all, they are of the opposite sex and can be a little loopy at times, so do remember to tell them how it is every now and again if they start to malfunction.

The above said, he needs to upgrade to a newer model.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Sad 1

On 10/16/2023 at 9:21 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

The husband needs to make a complaint of theft to the police first and he hasn't done that.

And, I would think, report  to his Embassy as the Passport belongs to the country which issued it.

13 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

That's not saying much though is it

You're in a country with the Worlds smallest knobs and a good sense of humour is pulling funny faces and speaking Thai wrong 

What are the Aussie girls opinion of you ?

Are you married?