Burning your bridges.

bob smith

9 hours ago, bob smith said:

Has anyone burned bridges with people back 'home' ?

how was it?

do you regret it?

How about yourself Bob Smith?

Have YOU burned bridges with people back home?

How was it?

Do YOU regret it?

I often compare you with a freelancer who take my money and leave, before service rendered.

You're a expert to ask all kind of questions, but never have I read any of your OP with some examples from your own life.

How come? What gives?

Are we all only your "Johns /  mongers"?

Time to Put Out, Bob.

2 minutes ago, Shop mak said:

You're a expert to ask all kind of questions, but never have I read any of your OP with some examples from your own life.

How come? What gives?

Time to Put Out, Bob.

He likes to flip flop between... "I do not drink anymore" to "Iam sitting on a bar stool drunk by 8am" depending on the  hour of the day.

disregard his reply, it will be nothing but bull<deleted> anyways.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, bob smith said:

but i dont like associating with expat loser alcoholics.

they always have a story. and are always looking for a handout

I'm not an expat loser alcoholic yet. But it's something I'm aspiring to.

With your financial support, and expertise in the area, I'm sure I could make it happen, Bob.

• Haha 2

Burning Bridges comes in various forms.

There is the financial one, where you sell up everything and go all in money wise.

Then there is the trickier one, where folks burn bridges with family.

There have been threads where guys get estranged from their kids and really are alone if things turn south.

On both counts I always kept up a US house and loving relationships with my kids, even with my ex wife actually. 

Never quite understand why guys chuck up everything to move to Thailand when at the end of the day you are nothing but a long stay tourist.

When the end comes, as it will for all of us sooner or later, I want to be in a place where family will be there for me

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

There have been threads where guys get estranged from their kids and really are alone if things turn south.

This is me, not spoken with my 4 former Brit kids in nearly 15 years.

I created another family, they can't create another dad. Their loss!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

This is quite true.

As long as we have sperm in our sacks then we can always make more kids.

To go even further, purely from a nihilistic point of view, nothing really matters anyway. It's only our own moral compass that stops us from doing whatever we want to do. Morals are not an objective entity, they are forced on us by society through involuntary social conditioning.

That being said, I do still currently have a certain set of morals intact, though they are slowly being chipped away at by my inner demons and maybe one day I will have nothing left to restrain me..

Edited by bob smith
  • Thumbs Up 2

37 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

That is so sad. But, not entirely uncommon.

• Sad 2

23 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Get in contact with the appropriate State Public Trustee and tell them of your situation and that you want to make a Will and appoint them as the Executor.  It is free - any advice and writing of the Will - they take a fee from the Estate (much lower than a Lawyer).  Ask them what to do - you and the partner may have to go visit Australia and sign some paperwork - but maybe it can be done using the Aust Embassy in Bangkok as a witness JP.   We did all that before we left - and they were great and very helpful (I used the QLD Public Trustee - my last address). 

If you do have to visit Aust, make sure you tell CLink (International Group) before you go - explain why you are returning and for how long and that you will still be living in Thailand going forward (they might decide you have returned otherwise - portability issues then).  

Whatever you do, don't go near a "public trustee." They will skin your estate alive with fees and charges.

Should I Use the Public Trustee for My Will? | Mclaughlins Lawyers 

No connection with this mob, just an example. I've seen some dreadful examples over the years. ie million$ estates reduced to 50k.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/1/2023 at 8:29 AM, bob smith said:

what are the choices?

alcoholic loser expats or thais who hate my guts?

decisions decisions.. think i’ll stay in me armchair! 

I enjoy your threads.  Keep them coming.  What happened to you partner in crime Bignok?  The complainers seem to quick to bash and that tells more about them than you.

Back on topic. My bridges were never burned but their weight capacity has been drastically reduced.  Not sure if it would be wise to cross them anymore.

On 11/1/2023 at 12:18 PM, EVENKEEL said:

Image result for burning bridges

That's what I did years ago and now regret. I've recently returned to Aus and am very homesick for Thailand and lonely. A few more years here then I can return. Aus does not feel like home at all for me

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Why 4 kids?  I sensed at 25 that kids would be a huge impediment for my life style.  I assume you made the leap before you matured mentally.  If had 4 kids , can't imagine living in Thailand now. Congrats on figuring out how to move on assuming you are happy now.

2 minutes ago, EvetsKram said:

That's what I did years ago and now regret. I've recently returned to Aus and am very homesick for Thailand and lonely. A few more years here then I can return. Aus does not feel like home at all for me

That stinks! What happens in a few years?

I returned to the USA in 2002 and made the best of it until my return to Thailand in 2008.  I got lucky and made enough money to retire here at 41 and haven't regretted the move other than possibly working a few more years.  I don't need much money in the USA and even less here which simplifies things.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Albaby said:

Whatever you do, don't go near a "public trustee." They will skin your estate alive with fees and charges.

Should I Use the Public Trustee for My Will? | Mclaughlins Lawyers 

No connection with this mob, just an example. I've seen some dreadful examples over the years. ie million$ estates reduced to 50k.

That article is from a Lawyer who wants you to use their services and not the Public Trustee.

The QLD Public Trustee (and NSW and all others I believe) publish their rates and charges up front.

Fees and charges - The Public Trustee of Queensland (pt.qld.gov.au)

I was surprised at your statement so I did some research.  That report you mentioned was about the Public Trustee and 'disadvantaged' people. It was not a very negative outcome - there were some mistakes made, and it suggested that for poor people they should charge less.  There is not one comment about they are more expensive than a private Lawyer.

opa-public-trustee-fees-and-charges-report-executive-summary.pdf (justice.qld.gov.au)

I have been involved with 2 Public Trustees - QLD and NSW - plus as I said, I used the QLD office to write our Wills. There were all far cheaper and more 'professional' than any Lawyers I rececived advice/quotes from - for both my Parents and ourselves. 

Lawyers delegate this sort of stuff to their 'Juniors' and some of them are not that good/experienced - same as for property conveyancing.  Lawyers are about making a profit - they are never cheaper than the Public Trustee.  And if things do go wrong you can take the Public Trustee to various Govt Appeal Tribunals for free, and also to the Members of QLD Parliament.  Good luck taking on a legal firm in the Courts when you think they got it wrong or over-charged you. 

1 hour ago, EvetsKram said:

I am with you mate - I did the same, so that I could get the Pension with portability and then go back to Thailand.

If that is why you (or any others reading this) returned to Aust, and just in case you have not heard/seen this - it is imperative that you make it very clear by your words and actions, that you intend staying in Australia forever. If you alrady know this - then AOK.

CLink cannot deny you getting your Pension without extreme reasons, but they can deny Portability if they think you never intended to stay in Australia. If you are there for the Pension, and plan to then return like so many others do, make sure it looks to everyone that you are staying long term. Join in some local activities, join golf club/RSL etc., make sure all your communications and everything you do makes it clear you are staying. Do not start telling blokes at the club/pub or anyone else, that you cannot wait to get back. 

I have a lot of knowledge about this (worked in ACT for 20+ years) and CLink can get access to all your social media posts, and the number one way they find out is by being dobbed in by a fat ugly feminist bitch who hears from their hubby/friends that you are desperate to go back. There is nothing a fat ugly feminist bitch in Aust likes better, than stopping old blokes from enjoying their lives overseas with much better looking feminine ladies. Trust me, CLink is full of them, as is the whole of the ACT. 

Do not trust anyone mate.  Talk about where you are thinking of buying a place in Aust when you have enough money - that you might move to Sydney or Brisbane etc etc etc. The Pension is a 'right' but Portability is at the discretion of the CLink Delegates.  And then once you have the Pension - wait.  Give it a few months before you start saying to people and on social media that it is very expensive living in Australia. Never say anything about the fat ugly feminists everywhere and you hate the place.  That was the hardest thing for me - telling people I knew that we were staying in Australia, and not ever saying that I could not wait to get back.  In the end all the family and my mates accepted that I was leaving and that it was the right thing for us to do.  Having a Thai wife helped that is for sure - plus it means we can both go back if ever needed later in life.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bob smith said:

....what if theres nothing but trouble on the other side of the river though?

Not good, unless there was even more trouble in this side. 

Regardless of the negatives that make that side of the river undesirable, one day you might not have a choice (for a variety of reasons) and have to ho back, and if you have burned all your bridges, (in keeping with the theme) you would be up <deleted>creek with out a padle . 

5 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Regardless of the negatives that make that side of the river undesirable, one day you might not have a choice (for a variety of reasons) and have to ho back, and if you have burned all your bridges, (in keeping with the theme) you would be up <deleted>creek with out a padle . 

Sometimes having ones bridges burnt was not your choice but the other side's.

A very definite: Don't call us. We'll call you. if ever.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sirineou said:

nothing that a trip to the citizens advice and the job center cant cure..

if one was so desperate.