Manual Scooter

Jaymatheson

31 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not being critical - but wondering why a manual ??? 

Any specific reason beyond preference? 

Seems to be something you understand, don’t understand, or can’t be bothered with.  For me, I wouldn’t buy a “proper” motorcycle or car/truck that wasn’t manual.  More control, age finer, better on fuel, makes for a more athletic experience.  That said, there are countless people with physical limitations, low driving IQ, and/or different priorities that understandably don’t want or need manual.  Sadly, people aren’t even exposed to manual vehicles anymore.  Kinda a thing of the past …. and could be more or less extinct in the near future. 

Anyway, when it comes to scooters I’ve only owned semi-automatics and will likely buy one again.  The manual versions seem to have little storage under the seat and carrying stuff in front isn’t nearly as practical.  Fill me in if wrong.

• Sad 5

I'm with the 'why manual' folks, especially if carrying a bit around with you.  Delivery/weekly shopping?

Only reason I'd opt for manual is more 'off the line' power, in which case, since seem to be knocking about the city anyway, may want to opt for an electric MB.  Providing instant torque, none of that @ rpm BS.

My DECO SUSU model (฿63,640 w/govt incentive) even came with a rather large storage box (don't use) but would come in handy I think....maybe.   Top end (85-90 kph) and range (~75 kms) may be a bit limiting.  Box may be optional now.

image.png.e029714bc8e5b31f4d2bd99f67dab963.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jaymatheson said:

Seems to be something you understand, don’t understand, or can’t be bothered with.  For me, I wouldn’t buy a “proper” motorcycle or car/truck that wasn’t manual.  More control, age finer, better on fuel, makes for a more athletic experience.  That said, there are countless people with physical limitations, low driving IQ, and/or different priorities that understandably don’t want or need manual.  Sadly, people aren’t even exposed to manual vehicles anymore.  Kinda a thing of the past …. and could be more or less extinct in the near future. 

Anyway, when it comes to scooters I’ve only owned semi-automatics and will likely buy one again.  The manual versions seem to have little storage under the seat and carrying stuff in front isn’t nearly as practical.  Fill me in if wrong.

I've ridden both (geared motorcycles and auto-scooters) - its a 'something I can't be bothered with' for me... but thats because I ride mainly in heavy traffic (in Bangkok).

So basically, its your personal preference and that a fully manual scooter may offer more under-seat storage space ?

Thus: Is storage space a priority ?

I'm really not sure which scooters are available in manual to be honest...  is any modern scooter manual these days ?

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

Does it keep the pizza's warm ?

Insulation ... extra.

Keeping the box, for when the USA finally goes belly up, and they stop sending SS...

..."KhunLA's Express Delivery"

High rise delivery ... no prob, as Phase 1 already up & running/flying

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, papa al said:

Believe that it is possible to retrofit/modify

Wave,

semi ==> manual clutch.

Some years ago ( more than 10 ) Honda sold a wave with manual transmission as an option. No need to modify anything. My brother in law next door has got one although the clutch is surprisingly heavy. But that might be just his bike.. They come up on Kaidee or Facebook from time to time. Not so common but definately some out there. It was called the Honda wave Z.

Moto TH - Honda WAVE 100Z (2005)

Edited by Denim

4 hours ago, Jaymatheson said:

Unfortunately i spend 70% of my time driving around with stuff to carry so need a new scooter style bike.  Any decent manual (not semi-automatic) bikes available? .... 125cc or more.  Typically buy Honda but open to whatever if reliable and similar longevity.

You need to carry stuff (whatever that is) so what you really need is a motor scooter rather than a motorcycle. I'm pretty sure you will not be able to find a manual scooter. Gone are the days of those crappy manual gear change Vespas and the likes, they're all CVT 'twist and go' machines.

We have 2, a Honda Click 125cc and a Yamaha Aerox 155cc. The latter is my baby and it's a dream to ride. I love it. And I am not, what was it you said?

2 hours ago, Jaymatheson said:

low driving IQ, and/or different priorities that understandably don’t want or need manual.  Sadly, people aren’t even exposed to manual vehicles anymore.  Kinda a thing of the past …. and could be more or less extinct in the near future. 

I've ridden and driven manual vehicles all my life and still can. I occasionally take a ride out on my wife's nephew's Yamaha R15, It's great fun to ride, but there's nowhere to store even a small bottle of water!

If you need to lug 'stuff', overcome your prejudice's and go take a look at the modern range of scooters.  

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Around town, a well-tuned auto is the dog's <deleted>. No chain to lube and the belt is service-free for 20,000 kms. Lots of under-seat storage, super maneuverable and easy perking. I have a Zoomer X which I like.

If I plan to go more than about 20 kms on the Hwy I take a different bike. But often ride the Zooomer for 100+ km on smaller rural roads. 

Yeah great bikes, I've just added a top box should have done it years ago

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/9/2023 at 2:31 PM, VocalNeal said:

Yamaha Exciter.

Or put a Grom-type clutch on a Wave. 

I've one of the original Exciters, bought new about 7yrs ago, great bike, have used it for riding over to Utteradit from Chiang Mai many times, 90kph no problem, Rosso Sport tyres, stick to the road wet or dry.

Edited by roo860
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, roo860 said:

I've one of the original Exciters, bought new about 7yrs ago, great bike, have used it for riding over to Utteradit from Chiang Mai many times, 90kph no problem, Rosso Sport tyres, stick to the road wet or dry.

The Suzuki raider 150 was my first bike here. I think the Exciter is a taller bike, kind of larger looking bike. Better for the big boys.