Israel and Hamas fight house-to-house battles across Gaza

CharlieH

The Israeli army took journalists to two towns in Gaza, highlighting the proximity of what it said was Hamas’s military facilities — including a rocket storehouse and a weapons plant — and nearby civilian infrastructure.

The soldiers leading the tour said that the damage had predominantly been the fault of Hamas, both because the Oct. 7 raid forced Israel’s hand and because the group’s fighters had embedded in residential areas, using civilians as human shields.
The Israeli army brought the journalists to Bureij and the neighboring town of Maghazi to try to emphasize that point. They highlighted the proximity of Hamas’s military facilities — including a rocket storehouse and a building that soldiers said was a weapons plant — and the nearby civilian infrastructure.
Maj. Gen. Itai Veruv, a commander at the front, pointed out residential apartment blocks from which, he said, Hamas fighters had fired on the Israeli army and soldiers were forced to fire back at the buildings.

https://archive.ph/cBDmO

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/09/world/middleeast/israel-military-gaza-ruins.html

A-Glimpse-Inside-a-Devastated-Gaza-The-New-York-Times.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Looks like the israeli government is expecting that expanded conflict that the US are trying to avoid.

https://en.haberler.com/israel-orders-hospitals-to-get-ready-for-treating-1908123/

Israel's Health Ministry has ordered hospitals in the north of the country to prepare for the possibility of receiving thousands of injured people as tensions with the Lebanese Hezbollah group increase, a report said Tuesday.

It's not going to end well for Israel, their mission is being watched by the wole world and only the US are now supporting them, which can only end up bad for them.

Sanctions like travel bans for Israeli and US citizens could be on the cards.

• Confused 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

It's not going to end well for Israel, their mission is being watched by the wole world and only the US are now supporting them, which can only end up bad for them.

Sanctions like travel bans for Israeli and US citizens could be on the cards.

You wish.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I don't wish that, what makes you think that?

When someone makes bold predictions as you did, all they can do is wish they are right. Obviously no one knows the future.

23 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I certainly don't, I am impartial.

For committing crimes against humanity, there have to be consequences, whether you gree with them or not.

Any country that has been the aggressor in war has committed crimes against humanity. So should there be consequences against them all? Maybe start with Italy (Romans) and then in chronological order move forward? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Trippy said:

My point is wars are messy, civilians get hurt, and even more so when your enemy refuses to wear a uniform. So maybe cut Israel a little slack as they are in a fight for their very existence, unlike Russia who just wants to expand. 

If Palestinians had a sovereign state you might have a point.

• Confused 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Trippy said:

Any country that has been the aggressor in war has committed crimes against humanity. So should there be consequences against them all? Maybe start with Italy (Romans) and then in chronological order move forward? 

And which 2,000 year old Romans will you prosecute and punish first?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I call BS. You're infantalizing the Gazan leadership. They are intentionally using human shields, they know the bad PR that causes for Israel, they have the choice whether to be in uniform or not, they have the money for an incredible tunnel system, but not uniforms, and not bomb shelters for civilians? Hamas chose this war. They got it. 

There weren't 15,000 human shields. Stop the unsubstantiated BS.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Beyond that Hamas (charter says Kill All Jews) is on record as intending to do further October 7 style attacks, again and again and again. Israel says NEVER AGAIN and what decent person can deny them that right?

ANY decent person can deny them that right. If Israel wants to destroy Hamas, let them, but don't slaughter innocent Palestinian women which is what Israel is doing every day, because NO country has the guts or the balls to stop them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

There weren't 15,000 human shields. Stop the unsubstantiated BS.

@ozimoron

I don't think anyone claimed all civilian casualties in the Gaza Strip were 'human shields'. That would be your own spin and BS.

Some were, some death are what's known as 'collateral damage' or 'people die in wars'.

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

ANY decent person can deny them that right. If Israel wants to destroy Hamas, let them, but don't slaughter innocent Palestinian women which is what Israel is doing every day, because NO country has the guts or the balls to stop them.

How do you know they're innocent, just because they're female? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Trippy said:

They're described by Israel as being human shields - ergo, not combatants.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

@billd766

You do not get to dictate who's 'decent' and who's not. And no, the right to defend oneself is not up for debate, other than in your mind.

People die in wars, that's reality. That you think wars can be conducted without innocents being harmed is just another one of your contrived fantasies.

Don't recall you having that many issues with Hamas slaughtering Israelis on 7/10 - you hardly even mention it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

It seems that some her believe that using human shields excuses killing those human shields. That's excusing war crimes.

@ozimoron

No, it's more like you don't want to understand the concept of using' human shields' and how it relates to international laws, war crimes and so on. You're just making up stuff about what posters believe and regarding facts.

Edited by Morch
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

They're described by Israel of being human shields - ergo, not combatants.

Not necessarily, they can still help hamas without having a gun in their hand, ergo not innocent.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Trippy said:

How do you know that they are not innocent?

If you see a dead Palestinian woman and a child, do you automatically assume that they were Hamas, even though there are no weapons around?

Especially around an apartment block destroyed by Israeli bombs or shells. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, billd766 said:

How do you know that they are not innocent?

If you see a dead Palestinian woman and a child, do you automatically assume that they were Hamas, even though there are no weapons around?

Especially around an apartment block destroyed by Israeli bombs or shells. 

Yes I do, next question?

I should add that if I ever hear just one Palestinian say Israel has a right to exist, I might change my mind.

Edited by Trippy
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1