Passengers and crew rescued from sinking ferry in Gulf of Thailand

snoop1130

1 hour ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

What is the giant orange vessel? A lifeboat? No mention in the report other than the ferry owner ' later sending two high-speed boats'. Later than what?

This could easily have become a major disaster and should be positively followed up by the Government. No doubt social media input from survivors will cause embarassment.

The report that Khao Tao police will investigate how the ferry broke in two and sank leaves me shaking my head in exasperation.🙄

where does it say it broke in 2

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, 300sd said:

So the well serviced vessel had a leak and since the engine stopped working the pump didn't work either.

Thank god everyone was saved. I pass on boat trips around here.

I  pass on any trip where a Thai is  steering....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

70 Tourists Rescued After Night Boat Founders Off Koh Tao
by TNR Staff

image.jpeg

Tourists being rescued from Sandee Maneesap 111 night boat off Koh Tao after it took on water early this morning, Dec. 22, 2023. Photo: Matichon

A NIGHT BOAT travelling from Surat Thani to Koh Tao started taking on water after a pump broke down at dawn today (Dec. 22) with 70 tourists, both foreigners and Thais, safely rescued before it later sank, Matichon newspaper said.

At 6 a.m. Capt. Natthaphon Sinpoonphon, deputy chief of  Thai Maritime Enforcement Command Centre in Surat Thani, was alerted of the night boat, or “sleeping boat”, Sandee Maneesap 111 weighing 114.93 gross tons,  foundering but still able to stay afloat approximately 15 nautical miles off Koh Tao.

The boat’s crew had requested help to evacuate the passengers and a pump be quickly installed to drain out the water.

Later the owner of the night boat, Lomprayah Co. Ltd., sent two high speed boats, Phuyai Hor and Baan Diving, to rescue the tourists and help out.

Full story: THAI NEWSROOM 2023-12-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Never took a night ferry. Samui Marine & reg police commandeered a dive instructor friend to help with search & recover in the late 1990s - it was too late for search and rescue in high seas for the night ferry passengers coming from Koh Tao. It was the only time I allowed anyone to smoke dope on my balcony. 

3 hours ago, 2baht said:

won't make mainstream  media

What and where are your mainstream media???? You mean smaller countries like US or the little Island UK or EU?? Mate, go to your map. There are bigger countries like China or Russia or India. These are the important countries where our future will be created. And....where the tourists are coming from actually. Merry Christmas to you.🎄🦌🧑‍🎄

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

16 hours ago, 300sd said:

So the well serviced vessel had a leak and since the engine stopped working the pump didn't work either.

Thank god everyone was saved. I pass on boat trips around here.

I worked offshore Songkhla in the Gulf of Thailand. During one crane basket transfer from the boat to the rig, I looked down as we lifted up and the boat moved away from under us. There was a large whale shark there but more ominously it was accompanied by two large oceanic white tips!

1 hour ago, newbee2022 said:

What and where are your mainstream media???? You mean smaller countries like US or the little Island UK or EU?? Mate, go to your map. There are bigger countries like China or Russia or India. These are the important countries where our future will be created. And....where the tourists are coming from actually. Merry Christmas to you.🎄🦌🧑‍🎄

Your experience and knowledge is most impressive! 🙏:thumbsup:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, bdenner said:

Good to see the passengers rescued safely, very happy to read that piece of unseaworthy junk is sitting on the bottom.

Did it "sink to the bottom"? I didn't see that in the media reports. Or just wild assumption?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

An English language report from another source says the ferry was hit by a high sea state including 3 metre high waves which flooded the lower deck causing engine failure.

Also, that navy divers would inspect the vessel.

Edited by PETERTHEEATER
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, neeray said:

Perhaps the boat owners had never heard the idiom, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". (maintenance be damned, full speed ahead).

Perhaps it was nothing to do with maintenance but more to do with the 3m high waves that caused water to enter the boat and damage the pumps as has been reported.

3 hours ago, wimpy said:

You would think the Marine Police or Coast Guard would inspect these vessels, wouldn't you?

I think the licence for these vessels is issued by a 'harbour master', at least I recall that was the character mentioned in a similar tale of woe about a "ferry" from Pattaya to Koh Larn. I thought it was a strange job title for a place that never did have a harbour beyond the old fishing boat jetty.

But getting back to whoever is responsible, I recall several fires in unlicensed night clubs where people burned to death. There's never any clarity if these places were ever inspected by the local fire department or if the local fire department turned a blind eye for one reason or another.

Either way, I am sure harbour masters and fire chiefs look nice in their pressed uniforms with medals and campaign ribbons, etc..