Thailand to abolish hefty import tariff on wine

webfact

What's the real effect here, we will eventually see real wine in 7/11 at 300baht a bottle instead the fruit mix stuff? I recall reading there was another component (other than obvious protectionism) that keeps it artificially high too but cant find the link

Not sure I understand the logic here.

To make up for the lost tax revenue, they're going to have to rely on increased consumption.

Has someone done the math, or is some duopoly going to benefit from this change?

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

So, does the Thai government rely on taxes or not? Confusingly, most Thais avoid paying taxes so lowering tax should have a negative effect, no? Saying tourists will buy more alcohol and thus raise revenue means people who avoid taxes will make more and spend I guess.

it would be more helpful to expand the tax base, wouldn’t it? 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

To make up for the lost tax revenue, they're going to have to rely on increased consumption.

Has someone done the math, or is some duopoly going to benefit from this change?

Yes.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, eyeman said:

I recall reading there was another component (other than obvious protectionism) that keeps it artificially high too

That is called, "croneyism"!!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

Isn't there a government department punishing those who encourage the use of alcohol?  The usual confusion here.

• Agree 1

Liquor tax exemption may harm health but not stimulate tourism: researchers

The proposed exemption, discussed by the Thai cabinet this week as part of an economic stimulus package, would prove ineffective at increasing tourism, according to researchers at the Thailand Development Research Institute (TDRI) including Dr Narit Pisalyabutr.

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/general/40034355