Thailand’s discovery of lithium deposit brings with it tough questions

webfact

Take photos folks, for future memories.

The ten families most probably don't holiday in that area so  Life Mining, Uh, Finds a Way.

I wonder how long they've actually known about it, and who was it that made the initial discovery.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JoePai said:

Keep in mind quote "Lithium is a relatively abundant element on Earth"

Not in concentratios that are economically viable for extraction. Those are actually scarce.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

That doesn't happen just because you are mining the raw materials. 

Which China is the leading processor of, sp where are the upstream industries likely to be?

Edited by mokwit
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Not in concentratios that are economically viable for extraction. Those are actually scarce.

Currently lithium appears to be in some oversupply. Mines in Oz closing down or going on half-rations as prices have fallen considerably (instead of the ever onward & upward expected).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The lithium and sodium sites are proximate to some of Thailand’s most pristine natural landscapes, areas that are not only visually breathtaking but also vital to the ecological balance and biodiversity. The potential damage to these areas is a serious concern, raising questions about the long-term environmental costs of such an endeavor.

Why are they not mentioning the possible impact on tourism with one word?

• Agree 1

I have very little doubt that the government will proceed with the mining. Lithium is just too important as an  integral component of the national strategy to made Thailand a major hub for EV production. The prospecting for Lithium started in 2019 in Ruang Kiet when Pan-Asia was awarded propsecting licences covering 38 sq meters open pit mines. The current Industry minister have already tasked the Primary Industries and Mining to speed up the exploration of potential lithium resoruces. For now the exploration is in Ruang Kiet and Bang E-tham. The government can only say that the technologies to be employed will reduce the impact on the evironment and local resident health. That will be left to be seen. 

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Currently lithium appears to be in some oversupply. Mines in Oz closing down or going on half-rations as prices have fallen considerably (instead of the ever onward & upward expected).

That wasn't really my point, the point I was making was that while Lithium is abundant it is thinly spread and it is really only lake like deposits such as in Chile and rock (spodulite? and others) such as found in Australia that are economic to mine. there are many places where they don't extract/mine lithium. It is mostly those.

Edited by mokwit

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Lithium is in an absolute oversupply now and likely will be in the foreseeable future. South America has tons of it. Prices are down and lithium companies are contracting — darn I know as I have invested heavily a few years ago in an American lithium provider which now is losing me a lot of money. Good luck if Thailand thinks they struck gold! 

4 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

That doesn't happen just because you are mining the raw materials. 

It does in Thailand, considering it's the world's hub of hubs. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, mokwit said:

China will coerce development.

Mokwit, you really should call yourself halfwit, because you are half-witted.An Australian company holds rightist the lithium. Take your filthy prejudices and shove them.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

For those interested in ACTUAL facts about the 'discovery', and who has the rights to it rather than watching people tear each other down:

Australian Mining company that has rights to the two sites:  https://panasiametals.com/

They trade under ASX:PAM

A good article describing what they actually found and some history:
https://www.chemanalyst.com/NewsAndDeals/NewsDetails/thailand-lithium-resource-upgrade-on-pan-asias-radar-16930

Edited by n8sail
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, mfd101 said:

I sold Ganfeng Lithium as I decided that lithium use expansion is probably one of those things where despite the expansion profiting from is elusive (at least for outside shareholders in listed companies*)

Successfully riding a Pink Sheet or Vancouver/AIM/ASX stock promotion the exception, but that is a trade not an investment, you must be gone before the clock strikes midnight/before the serial dilution starts.

Edited by mokwit

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

Going to take a complete guess here; full steam ahead mining baht and to hell with the environment.

Especially if the Thai military (vs Thai government) has title to any of these lands.  It is the sole decider as to any environmental impact for developement of its property.