Pattaya’s traffic nightmare: Deputy mayor tackles commute delays

webfact

image.jpeg

In a bid to combat the chaos caused by the never-ending construction along Sukhumvit Road, Pattaya, Deputy Mayor Manot Nongyai took matters into his own hands, leading a team on a mission to bring relief to frustrated commuters.

Accompanied by reps from the contracted company, Pattaya police, and Engineering Office staff, the Deputy Mayor rolled up his sleeves and descended upon the North Pattaya traffic lights intersection on January 23. The mission was to tackle the prevailing traffic congestion issue, unleashed by the ongoing 700-metre construction project.

The solution is to adjust traffic signal timings to get the vehicular flow moving at a more acceptable pace. Moreover, the contracted company was swiftly ordered to install informative signs. These signs not only update the masses on the ongoing construction saga but also provide a glimmer of optimism with the promised completion date.

by Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of Pattaya Mail

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-01-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Moreover, the contracted company was swiftly ordered to install informative signs. These signs not only update the masses on the ongoing construction saga but also provide a glimmer of optimism with the promised completion date

Expect delays for the next few months..

All show, nothing more.  They need to eliminate all the parking on North Pattaya and enforce the no parking all the time with traffic wardens and stiff fines.   The problem is way too long waits at traffic signals because there is simply way too much traffic now for just 2 lanes.  Three lanes lets many more cars get thru a signal so the signal cycles can be shorter, helping to eleviate long backups.  

The markings now are just ludicrous.  For example, by Bangkok Bank near Terminal 21, it's all red and white no parking except for a small stretch of yellow and white temporary parking in front of the bank.  Yesterday, wasn't there one truck parked in the yellow, making all the cars using the lane have to try to merge into the lane to the right, greatly slowing everything down.  So, allowing one car to park fouls everything up for many other cars.  Ludicrous.  It's the same all down the road on both sides heading east and west--allowing a few parking spaces here and there fouls up the whole flow.  True also for most of the other major roads.   None of this is brain science or rocket surgery.

• Agree 1

Why make such a fuss about a recently started project? The neverending traffic mess on Sukhumvit by the Soi Wat Bun junction has been going on much longer, causes just as much delay, and shows no sign of ever ending.

I agree that this road construction could be better coordinated but that’s only half the problem (in my opinion).  The other half I’m referring to is all the double parking.  I see it everywhere and it creates every bit as much chaos/backup as the road work (especially on narrow roads such as Soi Bukaow).  The shame of it is that it could be alleviated by law enforcement which require more police presence on the roads but sadly, most know what the odds of that is.   This whole double parking, running red lights, driving on the wrong side of the road, etc, etc is like an endemic road disease in Pattaya.  I don’t expect anything to change.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, In Full Agreement said:

Traffic delays due to construction are essential in order to improve things for the future.   No one likes them but they're a part of life.

Improve things for the future?? - Your looking at it. The whole place is going to have to be dug up. (over and over again) . Then all this  deconstruction/construction...IMG_20240126_125038.thumb.jpg.768692b4ed634b539b0161bc47fc5609.jpgIMG_20240122_133722.thumb.jpg.05560b8049b2e93c4aa433fc2f684c66.jpg

Edited by morrobay

On 1/25/2024 at 12:47 PM, Chris Daley said:

Went there a few times.  A boring place with a strip of sand beside it.  Saw some people eating out of bins.

Bet you get invited to all the best parties.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, kimothai said:

I agree that this road construction could be better coordinated but that’s only half the problem (in my opinion).  The other half I’m referring to is all the double parking.  I see it everywhere and it creates every bit as much chaos/backup as the road work (especially on narrow roads such as Soi Bukaow).  The shame of it is that it could be alleviated by law enforcement which require more police presence on the roads but sadly, most know what the odds of that is.   This whole double parking, running red lights, driving on the wrong side of the road, etc, etc is like an endemic road disease in Pattaya.  I don’t expect anything to change.

Could have just said, selfish Thais cause half the traffic problems in pattaya. :jap:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ross163103 said:

Sorry, but I don't see how his "mission" would bring any relief! In fact it probably added to the chaos as I'm sure him and his entourage came in many vehicles that added to the problem. If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

So true months back the Mayor with all his staff shut the tunnel down so they could walk through it to make a photo op the reason complains motorbike using the tunnel then claim 2-4 thousands were using daily 🤣

They dont care the worse they not have a clue how address the problem signs cones not a clue where to put them.

Timing is always bad the work should be done at night on major roads. Give that a thought!

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, newnative said:

I have to disagree.  This driving technique at intersections is called 'Be a Train' and it works well in managing traffic where there are no signal lights. 

Nonsense.... it blocks the junction completely and everyone stops, with lane and yellow box behaviour at least Northbound /Southbound traffic could move until the crossing traffic clears. As it is, it all gets entangled and nobody moves. Where your approach works well, and I saw this last night, is U-Turns.... the train was started by a fearless water tanker pulling in front of fast moving traffic, bringing 3 lanes on Hwy 36 to a halt, and then the 2 lanes  awaiting U-Turns,(should have been one of course) all did their turn like a train. I would have been there ages had not that happened. 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Nonsense.... it blocks the junction completely and everyone stops, with lane and yellow box behaviour at least Northbound /Southbound traffic could move until the crossing traffic clears. As it is, it all gets entangled and nobody moves. Where your approach works well, and I saw this last night, is U-Turns.... the train was started by a fearless water tanker pulling in front of fast moving traffic, bringing 3 lanes on Hwy 36 to a halt, and then the 2 lanes  awaiting U-Turns,(should have been one of course) all did their turn like a train. I would have been there ages had not that happened. 

Yes, it also works well with U turns against busy traffic.  We'll have to agree to disagree regarding north/south and east/west at busy intersections without traffic lights--I find it works.  Also useful if a traffic signal is not working at a busy intersection.  

9 minutes ago, newnative said:

Yes, it also works well with U turns against busy traffic.  We'll have to agree to disagree regarding north/south and east/west at busy intersections without traffic lights--I find it works.  Also useful if a traffic signal is not working at a busy intersection.  

I speak solely about one junction, the one on The Railway Line Bypass, at the Waterworks Rd One I use a lot..... so much traffic with a presumed right of way on The Watereworks Rd at rush times..... they form your train, but unfortunately it is stationary! I look at a clear Southbound Railway Line Rd, that I can't get across to.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I speak solely about one junction, the one on The Railway Line Bypass, at the Waterworks Rd One I use a lot..... so much traffic with a presumed right of way on The Watereworks Rd at rush times..... they form your train, but unfortunately it is stationary! I look at a clear Southbound Railway Line Rd, that I can't get across to.

Okey dokey.

On 1/26/2024 at 4:10 PM, morrobay said:

The whole place is going to have to be dug up. (over and over again) .

Exactly the point! Then the brown envelopes for future contracts will just keep coming and coming; if they fix the problems..........no more brown envelopes!