Theerayut Suwankesorn: The lawyer seeking death penalty for Move Forward

snoop1130

Theerayut-Suwankesorn.jpg

The lawyer who successfully petitioned the Constitutional Court to block Move Forward’s reform push recently has now gone one step further by seeking the core opposition party’s dissolution.

Theerayut Suwankesorn says he wants to “finish off what he started” after the court on January 31 ordered Move Forward to cease all attempts to abolish or amend Article 112 of the Criminal Code, also known as the lese majeste law, through “any illegitimate legal procedure”.

In a unanimous ruling by all nine judges, the court found that Move Forward’s campaigning on the issue threatened to undermine the Thai monarchy and was thus deemed an attempt to overthrow the country’s constitutional monarchy, as per Article 49 of the Constitution.

Caption: File photo : Theerayut Suwankesorn

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-02-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 12
  • Haha 1

The only good thing about this topics fruitcake is if the wife and most of thai citizens honors it and it's German past, she and they cant complain if I do anything  similar. 

• Confused 9
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The lawyer who successfully petitioned the Constitutional Court to block Move Forward’s reform push recently has now gone one step further by seeking the core opposition party’s dissolution

Pure insanity.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Sorry but apparently words are not enough.

2007 Thailand Constitution, Chapter III "Rights and Liberties of the Thai People", Part 13 "Right to Protect the Constitution, Section 68:

• "No person shall exercise the rights and liberties prescribed in the Constitution to overthrow the democratic regime of government with the King as Head of State under this Constitution or to acquire the power to rule the country by any means which is not in accordance with the mode provided in this Constitution."

The 2007 Constitution only prescribes elections as the means to changing governments.

When NCPO Gen. Prayut in mid-May 2014 overthrew the elected Yingluck government through military force, he abolished the 2007 Constitution (albeit as an after-thought revived Chapter II "The King"), unilaterally replaced it with NCPO's Interim Charter (including amnesty for the overthrow), followed by a new Constitution authored by NCPO in 2016 - both of which omitted the original Section 68 language. During those years the Constitutional Court continued to exist without any adverse reaction to the coup.

Indeed, so Mr Prayuth and his cronies are far worse than an amendment of section 112

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kimamey said:

I think he's doing more harm than good to the monarchy. Attitudes and expectations change over time. The last king changed the monarchy by going out into the country and meeting people. I think he was the first king to visit the northeastern provinces. He also said in 2005 that sensible criticism should be allowed, and that he was human so makes mistakes. A far more intelligent conversation about the monarchy than that from many in government or in the country. 

I don't know if it's true but I heard the current King asked that prosecutions under the LM laws be reduced. If true that's another thoughtful intervention. Of course it needs the government and Thais in general to listen and take note of these suggestions.

I am sure the current prosecutions of the LM laws are only used by the army government to prevent demonstrations against them. The current King has indeed no problem with section 112 as he told already that it did not need to be enforced. But Mr Prayuth saw the only opportunity to stay in power to use this law. He is one to blame and the Government based army will not allow that this section will be amended as it could work against them. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The army seemed to have defied his wishes, and used the LM laws as a tool to prevent protests. 

Yes, respect only goes so far

I think they ignored his advice on submarines as well.

Edited by kimamey

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

abolish or amend Article 112 of the Criminal Code, also known as the lese majeste law, through “any illegitimate legal procedure”.

Move Forward was planning to get everything passed through parliament. Does that count as "legitimate"?

• Like 1