Japanese Man Chased By Knife-Wielding Cabbie After Dispute Over Not Using The Meter

webfact

12 minutes ago, ezzra said:

There must be 10's of thousands of cabbies in Bkk and it's not beyond a possibility to get a deranged one 

every now and then...

Might be more likely to be found than a sane one!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

Soft power to atrack tourists, another example of the taxi scams, but a failing government policy to solve this problem. Strict rules and enforcement are needed.

The meter has to be adjusted to provide a living wage first, then you go after the ones refusing to use it. This taxi anarchy was precipitated by the previous government not allowing adjustment in line with living costs as they felt a low flag fall was liked by tourists - for all their concern about Thailand's image one of the most damaging things to Thailand's image is the behaviour of the bad half of taxi drivers - tourists coming here have never seen anything like it and it leaves a very bad taste in their mouths.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

Had same thing happen in BKK back in 2016 my Thai wife asked the driver to put the meter on when we hailed a taxi  at lumpini park to go to Pakret, next moment he went ape and  produced a knife ,, but i got the jump on him and the cops came and beat him up again and took him to jail, he also lost his taxi and license  and a 5 year jail term .. its not unusual  in Bangkok .

This is very unusual. Also if the cab pulls up and pulls down his window only why even bother to get in? In eight years since then has this happened to you? 

2 hours ago, Henkjan2 said:

If we start paying them, becourse you're scared then within a week they will all do it. 

Make a picture of the drivers card and file a complaint. It really helps  ..

If the driver threatened the passenger with a knife whilst in the cab it might be better to pay and then report him, but since the passenger had already got out,  which I think is the advice given by the police,  then I agree with you. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alex8912 said:

This is very unusual. Also if the cab pulls up and pulls down his window only why even bother to get in? In eight years since then has this happened to you? 

You believe once in 8 years is an acceptable level of being threatened with a deadly weapon by a taxi driver? Especially over such an offending issue such as requesting the use of the meter!

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

You believe once in 8 years is an acceptable level of being threatened with a deadly weapon by a taxi driver? Especially over such an offending issue such as requesting the use of the meter!

Yes I believe once in 8 years to one poster and this Japanese guy ( who got in cab with red eyed drunk cabbie) is unusual. Very unusual. The Japanese guy is a fool for even speaking into a half opened cabbies window! Thousands upon thousands just this week have taken taxi rides with no knifes out buddy! Exaggerating on this forum is full blown. Something happens once it's like it happened dozens of times to some posters/ readers. Something happens twice and folks like you come and text what you did above. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Xonax said:

The tourists are back in Bangkok and so are the crooked taxi drivers. During the covid pandemic, they were few and far between.

When a taxi driver rolls down the window, you know that something is not right. Either he will not use the meter, or he will be selective about the destination. All the honest taxi drivers will let you open the back door to get in and tell your destination. 

Exactly but it seems a lot of posters on here never do this. I mean never ever. I learned this on my second trip and never have problems with taxi drivers. Then there are the posters who will actually go to a sitting and waiting taxi at 2 am and expect the meter to be used!!  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Yes I believe once in 8 years to one poster and this Japanese guy ( who got in cab with red eyed drunk cabbie) is unusual. Very unusual. The Japanese guy is a fool for even speaking into a half opened cabbies window! Thousands upon thousands just this week have taken taxi rides with no knifes out buddy! Exaggerating on this forum is full blown. Something happens once it's like it happened dozens of times to some posters/ readers. Something happens twice and folks like you come and text what you did above. 

And then we have those in denial that such taxi drivers exist and are a problem. You appear to know nothing about Japanese behaviour and expect visitors to the country to be aware that asking a taxi driver to use the meter is a risk to one's life!  Head in the sand approach!

I am not your buddy whatever that means!

Edited by jacko45k
typo
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

And then we have those in denial that such taxi drivers exist and are a problem. You appear to know nothing about Japanese behaviour and expect visitors to the country to be aware that asking a taxi driver to use the meter is a risk to one's life!  Head in the sand approach!

I am not your buddy whatever that means!

I lived and worked in Japan for two years. If you read the post the Japanese man was in Thailand a long time. I bet he even spoke Thai and if he was here for sometime he probably should. "Thai taxi" is the easiest and most important Thai  to learn when visiting here a lot   It helps. You know what's a REAL crime?  The price of a taxi in Tokyo bud! When a red eyed appearing to be drunk taxi driver is flagged down by you next time and he rolls the window down to speak with you please say " sayonara krub "!! 

• Haha 1