How do you react to Thais who do not respond to greetings?

12 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

Give them a hug, full body, ask what's wrong, see what happens.  sly-sneaky.gif.ff96e9a36292a5d8772a451f20ea9733.gif

Mate, you remind me of that clerk in a computer store in Rome. I asked him "can you recommend me a cheap notebook to use on the go, I already have a PC at home" and he said "come, I'll show you the new Macbook".

You guys go too far!

7 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I don't take it personally. 

Number one lesson in sales is not to take rejection by strangers personally and allow it to change your behavior.   

You don't know what kind of personal drama they are dealing with, and they don't know you. What they are reacting to is their personal issues and their perception of you and how your presence affects them, 

. Little you can do about that 

Not entirely, you left out distraction. Your sales pitch is a distraction among many. Too many un-needed distractions leads to irritation because it takes energy and time to hear you out, analyze your offer and decided what to do with it.

11 hours ago, zhounan said:

You're in an elevator, you say hi and they don't respond. They are sitting next to you, you greet them and they don't respond. 

Some people always seem stressed, what's their problem? Is their jaw to heavy?

If people you know and associated with do not respond, then it´s something very wrong. However, it seems to me, that you are trying to say hello or talk to unknown people. That´s just strange and stupid. There is a reason why we teach our children to not talk to strangers.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

If people you know and associated with do not respond, then it´s something very wrong. However, it seems to me, that you are trying to say hello or talk to unknown people. That´s just strange and stupid. There is a reason why we teach our children to not talk to strangers.

Are you saying, between the lines, that Thais are eternal children?

• Love It 1

12 hours ago, zhounan said:

You're in an elevator, you say hi and they don't respond. They are sitting next to you, you greet them and they don't respond. 

Obviously, never been to London in rush hour.🤔

2 hours ago, zhounan said:

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Maybe he's saying Thais are 'childlike'.  Something that many people find endearing about them.

No, I was saying no such thing. I was stating that the OP would do better remembering what he learned as a child.

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:
4 hours ago, zhounan said:

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Maybe he's saying Thais are 'childlike'.  Something that many people find endearing about them.

No, I was saying no such thing. I was stating that the OP would do better remembering what he learned as a child.

We all understand.  The OP is just being obtuse.

16 hours ago, zhounan said:

By saying hello first you declare yourself inferior to them.

The lower status people always wai first to their betters..

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Thais tend to ignore strangers unless they have a reason not to. They don't make eye contact at all with strangers in my experience unless talking to them directly. Like in a shop. If they have no business with them they pass by like ships in the night.

not a thai thing at all, i do this all the time. i lived in london, the same experience.

OP, maybe just chill, and live and let live.

• Love It 1

4 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Up to 65 and more die daily on the roads, mainly because laws on the books aren't enforced, people are paid off, and a wai, and maybe a bribe, gets many out of situations where jail time is mandatory.                                                                                                                                                                                         Locals do not pay child support for the children they make, meaning the men. This absence of fathers, and eventually mothers, who feel the need to go elsewhere to work instead of staying with their children, at least giving the kids one parent who raises them, leaves many kids to fend for themselves, as grandmas, many of whom are illiterate and not capable of taking good responsibility, can't do the job. This lets children to grow up with no guidance, which of course lets them do what their peers do, which is mistreating women, animals, and leaving the kids they make also, repeatiing the pattern. Corruption here is huge, and the human trafficking that is sometimes protected by this corruption, lets it flourish. In a democracy, which is the best source of government, the people can elect new leaders. The people here do not have much of a say. Leaders elected are put aside and the rich who are in charge put one of their own in position. This would be okay if they did the job intended, which is to help all people. Yes, in America, sometimes, or actually may times, a leader is voted in place who does more harm than good, but at least the people have a say in who's elected.                                 Expats are treated as outsiders, whereas Thais are accepted in the US as like all others, except by those who are racist or prejudiced., and not allowed to work in most jobs. In the US, you can get most any job a citizen has eventually.                                                                                                                             Women and girls are considered second class here. This isn't the case in other countries besides some Muslim and other Asian. They are slaves to the men in many cases, a place where boys, many useless, are put in higher regard than the girls, who usually are the ones trying to get ahead. Thousands of food stalls are unlicensed and many get sick from the food they serve in filthy conditions.                                                                                                       Animals, especially dogs, are allowed to roam free because no one takes care of them or their offspring, besides the spay and neuter programs who are sometimes frowned upon, and the laws are there to keep this from happening but aren't enforced strictly.                                                                        Greed is very high here, and scammers are everywhere, which doesn't help with tourism but has been hurting it more and more. Thailand's image of a place to go and have a good time has been tainted by this and crime towards foreigners. Punishment should be dealt out more, especially towards those who are targeting farangs, for the same reason.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           This is a beautiful country, with many good people, but it's gotten worse for decades now, and is one reason I will take my daughter from here to give her a better life back home. I don't see things improving until the younger crowd gets their say and removes the ones who have been doing the damage for years. This also happens in the US, but as mentioned, there you can get rid of the garbage by voting them out, or punishing them when they commit crimes                I know it's easier for some .

that's some dam fine paragraphing right there

teehee

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

that's some dam fine paragraphing right there

teehee

Just did it quick so others who can't read a lot of words might follow it easier. I just type things as they come to me, and don't care about paragraphs because I've always been able to comprehend whatever anyone writes, no matter the spacing. Many here put in one sentence at a time, like they are all paragraphs,  all with the same topic, and that's wrong also, but most don't seem to mind.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe they read what many posters here think about Thais.  

Thais really don't care to waste their time with most Xpats compared to 25 years ago and that is much the same even in rural Thailand.    I bathe regularly, have decent hygiene, and other than some wild nights out - behave well.  25 years here and only have been disrespected a few times and might have deserved it. 

Maybe you are taking their lack of acknowledgment a little to personally because you feel superior to Thais? 

17 hours ago, zhounan said:

Jeezz, you just give them a broad happy smile after eye contact and you'll get a response.

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I haven't noticed that with Thais, i have noticed that it's very common for them to not say thanks if you hold a door or let them pass first

You can't hold the door open as if it's just a pedestrian obligation. They don't expect it anyway.

No, you need to show the obsequiousness reserved for Royalty. You open the door, hold it to the side of you for them to walk past, and give a bow with a dramatic hand gesture sweeping from your head downwards and out, as if it holds a cocked, feathered hat you've just removed. You think, humbly, "After you, Your Majesty."

And then you'll get a nice smile and even a laugh of appreciation. Try it, unless you think you're too much of a badass. It's funny. 

Re: elevator greeting, I always give a polite "sawadee, krub" when I get on, which I think makes the Thai passenger comfortable. No greeting in return is expected, and they know it isn't expected, but they'll often give it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigStar said:

You can't hold the door open as if it's just a pedestrian obligation. They don't expect it anyway.

No, you need to show the obsequiousness reserved for Royalty. You open the door, hold it to the side of you for them to walk past, and give a bow with a dramatic hand gesture sweeping from your head downwards and out, as if it holds a cocked, feathered hat you've just removed. You think, humbly, "After you, Your Majesty."

And then you'll get a nice smile and even a laugh of appreciation. Try it, unless you think you're too much of a badass. It's funny. 

Re: elevator greeting, I always give a polite "sawadee, krub" when I get on, which I think makes the Thai passenger comfortable. No greeting in return is expected, and they know it isn't expected, but they'll often give it.

I've seen this a few times in Thailand and always leave the lift, restaurant, etc happier then before getting on.  Don't think I'm a badass but never done it.  Takes a certain type and I'm not the type as of yet.

18 hours ago, zhounan said:

I run most mornings and have been over every country lane, farmyard, riverside path up to 10 K distance. Depending on how I'm feeling ( I always give them a SWK) I might shout it out if they don't answer, or ask if they speak Thai. I think that everyone around here, mostly farmers, knows about this bizarre behaviour, I now get kids that I didn't see shouting 'Hellooo' at me.

More annoying is when I see a Farang also exercising and he won't say good morning. I get to talk English with an Anglophone about once a month. 

In the remote mountain, Swiss village I used to live in, people (not all) would get worried and stop their car, bicycle, walk to ask what was wrong if I didn't answer their greetings. 

Anyway, the above remarks refer to country people; city people don't count.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

Thais are oblivious to manners unless they are educated and have travelled. Try opening a door for them and see how many thank you's you get (in any language).

I never see Thais blow their noses on a bit of cloth and keep it on their person all day. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, atpeace said:

Maybe they read what many posters here think about Thais.  

Thais really don't care to waste their time with most Xpats compared to 25 years ago and that is much the same even in rural Thailand.    I bathe regularly, have decent hygiene, and other than some wild nights out - behave well.  25 years here and only have been disrespected a few times and might have deserved it. 

Maybe you are taking their lack of acknowledgment a little to personally because you feel superior to Thais? 

If I felt superior, would I say "sawadee" to a stranger? Think a moment.

Also, thank you for telling us that you bathe regularly(is it a strange?). But what does it have to do with it?

I really have trouble understanding the way of thinking. 

However, I agree with the fact that they couldn't want to waste time talking to strangers (even Thais, not just foreigners). This is understandable.

17 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Few foreigners understand the Thai hierarchical social structure and how farang don't get onto the first rung of the social ladder. 

Even fewer understand how to show obeisance to those on higher rungs, ie every Thai.

When the right obeisance is not given, offense is taken. 

How about you making a fuss over a Thai talking to you in English, which you do.........?    🤔

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Maybe. You need to add the "krub" for politeness to a stranger.

We can close this thread, it's long now and people, rightly, don't read the previous comments.

After 90 comments, I understood that, perhaps based on the civilization of origin, on the anthropological process or more simply on the basis of one's individual character, for some groups of people greeting is a sign to express friendliness, for others it is a symptom of harassment, for still others it's simply unimportant.

It's good to know different approaches to social relationships. Thank you all.

12 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

All rather childish isn't it?

No. And @Neeranamis the worst possible source of info about Thai culture, pay no attention.

12 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

No wonder the country is in the mess that it is

Has its problems but doing OK, better than home. Most Thais are happy enough with the country and the culture, though a large percentage would prefer to be wealthier.

Most are aware of the political mess, but again, the USA and UK are in bigger messes. Now, we might agree that Japan isn't in a mess, but you'll find that Japanese wouldn't particularly welcome a greeting from a random stranger either. Lived in Japan for years, but I can't recall ever greeting or talking to any Japanese stranger in an elevator or on the crowded train, which I rode daily.

So I think your "mess" theory doesn't hold up.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BigStar said:

No. And @Neeranamis the worst possible source of info about Thai culture, pay no attention.

Has its problems but doing OK, better than home. Most Thais are happy enough with the country and the culture, though a large percentage would prefer to be wealthier.

Most are aware of the political mess, but again, the USA and UK are in bigger messes. Now, we might agree that Japan isn't in a mess, but you'll find that Japanese wouldn't particularly welcome a greeting from a random stranger either. Lived in Japan for years, but I can't recall ever greeting or talking to any Japanese stranger in an elevator or on the crowded train, which I rode daily.

So I think your "mess" theory doesn't hold up.

When I worked at a university, I taught Thai culture to foreign school teachers.

I also taught Thai history and civics for years.

You know nothing about Japan's economy. I talk to Japanese daily.

Japan has an aging population, which puts pressure on its pension system and healthcare services.

Japan has struggled with deflation for many years, which has led to various economic policies aimed at combating it, including unconventional monetary policies by the Bank of Japan.

Economic Reforms: The Japanese government has been pushing for economic reforms to spur growth, improve competitiveness, and increase labor force participation.

• Haha 2