Xi Jinping’s bullet train gift sparks China-Thailand railway reality

webfact

6 minutes ago, mikebike said:

To me it reads exactly the same as a USA press release touting aid and/or investment.

Type USA press release/aid/investment into ChatGPT and you may well get a similar reading article.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Last April marked a pivotal moment as a freight train laden with durians embarked on a historic journey, traversing Thailand, Laos, and China, culminating in Guangdong province. Clocking a mere five days, this odyssey highlighted the railway’s efficiency, outstripping traditional maritime routes by at least a week.

What traveled north will return south like a Trojan horse...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Xi is a modern day Mao, though at least he is not murdering his people by the millions, nor causing massive famines. The man is very dangerous, Chinese politics are super toxic and the last thing Thailand wants to do is being indebted to these guys, who appear to want to take over the entire Pacific region if not the world.

The irony is that Thailand desperately needs help with its railways, as it's making very little progress and what progress it is making is taking forever. They spent 70 years ignoring the fact that the nation desperately needed rail transport for cargo and it has resulted in some of the most choked highways in Southeast Asia, with trucks of all sizes constantly clogging both lanes. Getting on the highway here is just no fun at all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A train full of durians ..if you didn't see or hear the train you would have smelt it, plus only 5 days from Chinatown,  gosh I only get a week's holiday .... well at least I got to visit 2 countries.

3 hours ago, paul1804 said:

Whilst Xi's B&R initiative and helping Thailand with its railway project has its benefits China only ever does what benefits China. You may call that good governance but those developing countries often fund chinas gain and can ill afford to do so. If the lovely Xi was a responsible world leader he would not be assisting Putin in his murdering of Ukrainians, he would be encouraging North Korea to focus on peace & development for the people instead of warfare. If he were a responsible leader he wouldn't be supporting the illegal junta in Myanmar and so it goes on. But its suits his cause to have these rebel nations as allies in case of conflict whilst he is trying to land grab wherever he sees a weakness or an opening. The world has become a <deleted>ty place full of <deleted>ty people!

Good governance....come now, we aren't in kindergarten. All world governments are pragmatic, China is no different from the USA. Take NK for instance, if it ever rejoined with the South that would mean American troops on China's border, so fat boy can do what he wants, the US would never threaten a country with nukes anyway, especially not one close to China. Every power now uses proxies to fight wars that stops a WW3 scenario.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Last April marked a pivotal moment as a freight train laden with durians embarked on a historic journey, traversing Thailand, Laos, and China, culminating in Guangdong province. Clocking a mere five days, this odyssey highlighted the railway’s efficiency, outstripping traditional maritime routes by at least a week.

Load the durian into containers. Metre gauge train to Nong Khai, transfer containers to standard gauge wagons ( quick and easy) send standard gauge train on to China.

Job done, no need to build an expensive new railway, no need to owe China for generations.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Good governance....come now, we aren't in kindergarten. All world governments are pragmatic, China is no different from the USA. Take NK for instance, if it ever rejoined with the South that would mean American troops on China's border, so fat boy can do what he wants, the US would never threaten a country with nukes anyway, especially not one close to China. Every power now uses proxies to fight wars that stops a WW3 scenario.

I find your comment rather confusing. Also I dont believe there will in our lifetimes reunification between North & South Korea unless you are presently in kindergarten! 

2 minutes ago, paul1804 said:

I find your comment rather confusing. Also I dont believe there will in our lifetimes reunification between North & South Korea unless you are presently in kindergarten! 

Of course there won't be a reunification, the Chinese would never allow it for the reasons I explained and the South doesn't want the cost after seeing what the German reunification cost and is still costing. All governments are pragmatic with an eye to economics, the milk of human kindness doesn't come into the calculation, peace is a luxury but sooner or later it will become a necessity, just not in my children's lifetime but perhaps in their children's lifetime.

51 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Of course there won't be a reunification, the Chinese would never allow it for the reasons I explained and the South doesn't want the cost after seeing what the German reunification cost and is still costing. All governments are pragmatic with an eye to economics, the milk of human kindness doesn't come into the calculation, peace is a luxury but sooner or later it will become a necessity, just not in my children's lifetime but perhaps in their children's lifetime.

51 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Yes you have to live in hope dont you!