What can substitute a money safe?

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

May I ask where you got them?

I'm wondering if Lazada may sell similar

Pacsafe sell them directly in 3 sizes: 55 litres, 85 litres & 120 litres. I think I sourced mine on eBay since they aren't cheap new - but the quality is there. They've lasted years so far, albeit only modest use when there wasn't a safe available.

Not sure about Lazada. They might have some cheaper knockoffs, but I'd be making sure it was stainless steel wire - for at least some basic cutting resistance.

• Thanks 1

On 4/20/2024 at 11:54 AM, georgegeorgia said:

Just had a friend in WhatsApp staying in Pattaya 19 nights staying in Airbnb  a Condo with no money safe

You don't mention where he came from, where he lives normally. This might help.

On 4/20/2024 at 12:59 PM, AreYouGerman said:

He could create a USDT wallet and put the money on an USB stick.

'Portable safe' sounds very,.. unsafe.

You don't understand the basic functions of cryptocurrencies.

The cryptocurrencies are not stored on a wallet or USB stick.

Your wallet does not store the cryptocurrency itself, but rather your private key. This key allows you to access the cryptocurrency stored on the blockchain.

5 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

Laundered money?

Like this place on Samet some years ago?

:offtopic:  :sorry:

Koh Samet 2005.JPG

2 hours ago, markus said:

Your wallet does not store the cryptocurrency itself, but rather your private key. This key allows you to access the cryptocurrency stored on the blockchain.

Markus, are you saying I cannot put my Cryptocurrencies on a USB stick? Woah. How does it feel to be of average IQ?

2 hours ago, markus said:

Correct.

Crypto isn't stored on an individual device, rather it's ownership is stored on the block chain. Wallets, both hardware and software, only store your keys that protect your on-chain assets and allow you to sign transactions on the chain.

Hardware wallets are exceptional here because they have special chips that are designed to safely store and protect your keys (ledger for example uses "Secure Elements"), which make reading and stealing said keys very difficult - even if you connect a hardware wallet to an infected computer, your keys remain inaccessible and protected.

A USB or software wallet doesn't have the ability to do this, and the keys are accessible to malicious software when connected. While you can disconnect a USB drive from your computer making it safe when not in use, it becomes vulnerable as soon as you connect it to use it, so while it is a physical device, it is little more secure than a software wallet.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I'm not sure what the process is in Thailand for us visitors ,maybe an agent could help.

Of course one must do the due diligence at cost vs ratio 

Or cost vs ........?

It's good to have one if you plan to keep visiting or retire here. The minimum balance to keep it open is low, perhaps 500 baht or so (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).  You can use Wise to transfer money to that account and make no fee withdrawals in Pattaya.   

I got a bank account through an agent with my first visa extension back in 2022.  It was 3500 baht of the 27k baht fee for the 90 day plus 1 year extension. 

On 4/20/2024 at 12:54 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Just had a friend in WhatsApp staying in Pattaya 19 nights staying in Airbnb  a Condo with no money safe

Yes he should of asked first before renting it off Airbnb but he says you can't contact the owner first on this Airbnb .

Do they have portable money safes in Pattaya stores he can go to ?

Ok think there is a hardware store near Tony's Gym ,maybe they sell it hen but as I said useless without it being drilled down 

I suggested putting his cash in his suitcase under the bed ,I mean it's unlikely anyone is going to break into his unguarded Condo 

I think it's FLYBIRD 

Even if he was to buy a small money box it wouldn't be drilled down

Freezer may be a good place 

Under the bed 

On top of wardrobe

He is mentioning a PIR portable  alarm apparently goes off if someone is in sight so could scare off thieves ,where do you buy these 

Just tell him to go to the main office of TT exchange on second road , right side going after school/Wat/ baht bus stop. Go inside , and he can rent a safe , minimum one month but it’s cheap enough. It’s a proper bank safe with individual boxes. There’s one in Jomtien too near the Hemingway pub.,

2 hours ago, geisha said:

Just tell him to go to the main office of TT exchange on second road , right side going after school/Wat/ baht bus stop. Go inside , and he can rent a safe , minimum one month but it’s cheap enough. It’s a proper bank safe with individual boxes. There’s one in Jomtien too near the Hemingway pub.,

They are not proper bank safes, but they are better than nothing.

I have a safety deposit box at Kasikorn bank Pattaya Tai, I've had it for many years, it's upstairs and housed within a vault. 

Proper bank safety boxes are all housed within a vault, very safe and secure.

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

22 hours ago, malt25 said:

Maybe I should have been more clear. I didn't mean debit card. All nationality visa or master cards are able to be used internationally. I use my Aussie bank visa card in every country I visit. Why would I need a Thai credit card ?

I don't know. I never suggested you would 🤷🏻‍♂️.

On 4/21/2024 at 6:40 AM, Roo Island said:

Most places we've been recently use qr codes to pay. Been to several restaurants that don't take cash anymore.

Which restaurants in Pattaya don't take cash?

52 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

And the low currency exchange is only when you choose the wrong exchange option.

It also depends on the card that you're using. I know that Citibank used to incorporate a 1 percent fee into the exchange rate with the standard debit card.  In fact, it's often hard to know just how much you're being charged.

10 hours ago, rickudon said:

If a lady overnighted in the hotel room, would hide my money in a shoe....

Did that with my flip flops ...

... damn if she didn't find it :coffee1:

On 4/20/2024 at 5:54 PM, georgegeorgia said:

I suggested putting his cash in his suitcase under the bed

Cover it with dirty underwear, socks, unless a perv opens it, Thais won't rummage through it.  

Carry your valuables with you.  Leaving them in a hotel room is not a good idea.  The only other way around that is to place a handle lock on the exterior door.

a100-2224619680.jpg