My Girlfriend Fell for the Land Scam

18 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

Ever since I met her 8 years ago she has said she owns land in Chiang Mai.  I thought this is so amusing I never talked about it much.  She paid rent for the land for years and finally set up a date to go and see it.  We booked flight tickets and the day before the owner cancelled the trip.  I am rolling on the floor with laughter but I have conform to society so I say ''Oh no.. really?!!!  I feel sad.''

The owner then wants to meet at a nearby shopping mall.  When they meet the owner has the audacity to say there is no land.  She says she is sorry and she will pay us back month by month.  We haven't had a single payment. 

We have paid for her lifestyle for the past decade and she just says there is no land but she will pay us back.  Amazing.

How about you?  Do you pay for land hundreds of miles away that you have never seen?

Why didn't you file a police report? 

Can not see how you found all of that funny though. A gf of 8 years would be considered your wife anyway. Also it sounds as if you were the one scammed simply because she must have been using your money to pay for the uhh (land). 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

I wouldn't pay for anything I didn't see and had checked out with the appropriate authorities

But you are not Thai, you have common sense, something I've never seen in a Thai during my 27 years here. We had a report on here several months ago that said Thais are a scammers dream, and the most easily fooled in the whole of Asia. Just another example of so many of them having the mind of a child. That goes all the way up to government level, where often things are not properly thought through. Compulsory SIM cards for all arriving foreigners so their whereabouts could be tracked was one example.

• Like 1

Reminds me of a local bar girl having 5  stupid overseas farangs sending her money every month claiming they had fathered her daughter eventually she got caught out !

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

Ever since I met her 8 years ago she has said she owns land in Chiang Mai.  I thought this is so amusing I never talked about it much.  She paid rent for the land for years and finally set up a date to go and see it.  We booked flight tickets and the day before the owner cancelled the trip.  I am rolling on the floor with laughter but I have conform to society so I say ''Oh no.. really?!!!  I feel sad.''

The owner then wants to meet at a nearby shopping mall.  When they meet the owner has the audacity to say there is no land.  She says she is sorry and she will pay us back month by month.  We haven't had a single payment. 

We have paid for her lifestyle for the past decade and she just says there is no land but she will pay us back.  Amazing.

How about you?  Do you pay for land hundreds of miles away that you have never seen?

" I am rolling on the floor with laughter "

You are amused and happy at another's misfortune? ... and at that your wife/gf 0f 8 years?

You are proud to advertise that fact too?

OMG... I have no words...

Add

and there seems to be many more finding this incident amusing by the amount of laughing emojis your post received.

Reading your post, I felt sorry, for some unknown persons fate.

Edited by ravip
  • Like 1

So if renting land require 

To view Chanote, view and confirm Identification name matches.  Possibly go to Land Office and verify no loans/debt.

Sounds like land lease so have a competent lawyer or real estate agent review the documents.  Sign documents with witnesses.  Definitely go and visit land, never know when someone may just build, dump tons of trash, or claim ownership of land.

24 minutes ago, ronster said:

Why was she paying rent for something she hadn't seen and was doing nothing with 🤔😂

I have a chocolate teapot factory for sale if interested .

agree ... the story just don't add up .....   OP didn't explain it very well either. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, petermik said:

Methinks you need to change your girlfriend for someone with a little common sense....

Methinks your girlfriend needs to change him for someone with a heart. 

23 hours ago, Celsius said:

My wife was playing the share money crap where one Thai person (in this case her friend) puts money in a high savings interest account (in this case it was a bank in United States) and everyone pitches in every month a certain sum for supposedly higher interest.

As soon as I met her I told her to pull money out of this nonsense and she did.... around 500k baht in her case. Some "customers" weren't so lucky.

I asked her to explain me in detail how this s̶c̶a̶m̶ scheme works, but her explanation never made any sense to me.

That is always the telltale sign - asking them to explain and if they cannot... I have a couple of friends who have fallen for this, both Thai and farang and different variations of the scheme... 

My Girlfriend Fell for the Land Scam.

Your not much of a man , You should've asked your GF if she had a Chanote Land Title, deed  When she told you that she owned some land.  

She should've got The Chanote from the landowner when she started to pay off the land  (that wasn't there) in installments to protect herself from getting Scammed .

No Chanote  No land Unless you get  a Bank  loan then the Bank holds the Chanote till the Loan is paid off.

No. Always visit the land office, with the owner and witness the transfer of the deed. Basic common sense and basic self preservation. 

However, Darwin was right. Some are simply not fit. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

But you are not Thai, you have common sense, something I've never seen in a Thai during my 27 years here. We had a report on here several months ago that said Thais are a scammers dream, and the most easily fooled in the whole of Asia. Just another example of so many of them having the mind of a child. That goes all the way up to government level, where often things are not properly thought through. Compulsory SIM cards for all arriving foreigners so their whereabouts could be tracked was one example.

I have to admit you do make a very valid point.

On 6/3/2024 at 2:18 PM, Pouatchee said:

money for nothing

And in this case the chick wasn't free either 😞 

People, supposedly intelligent people, still fall for the Nigerian Prince/General/Bank president who wants to give you <insert large sum here>, you just have to pay bank fees up front :whistling:

On 6/3/2024 at 12:34 PM, Chris Daley said:

appears that you were also paying for nothing................hmmm!

8 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

That goes all the way up to government level, where often things are not properly thought through.

Wow you are not kidding. Wife works in a government office. The office supervisor is there today crying and will be going to file a police report because she just sent 80,000 baht to someone claiming to be the bank manager at her bank. Scammed so easily simply by telling her that there was an error and she needed to send the money to fix it. This is a Government worker who manages payouts millions of baht to other government workers. No checking authenticity of the bank and the manager. No checking the account to see if there was really a problem.. Just a phone call and off her money goes without thought 

• Thanks 1

On 6/3/2024 at 6:34 AM, Chris Daley said:

No.

On 6/3/2024 at 12:09 PM, gargamon said:

So let's assume you were giving her an allowance and some of that was being sent to pay for the non-existent land. Who's the fool in that scenario?

My thoughts, he's the one been scammed, probably her cousin pretended to be the owner. 

Not just thais that get taken. 

I won't name names or places but 15 years or so ago there was a farang who along with his thai wife met with some thais who owned lots of farm land in a pretty place along a river...they went there and met with a farmer and made some kind of deal to allow them to drive some stakes with yellow ribbons indicating a series of ten or so very  pretty river front lots....they then promoted it all with nice pics online and in bars to  bunch of expats to come and take a look at this beautiful development....the farangs came and saw all the nicely outlined official looking lots with yellow ribbons and nice thai farmers no doubt waving and smiling...but of course if you wanted to get in before they were all sold you had to make a deposit....next thing you know a lot of farangs made a deposit on a lot...then they waited and waited for the next step which never came...and of course after a while it all turned out there was no land to be sold to farangs/girl friends and the money was all gone. I am not sure if the pitch was some kind of fake company where farang could "own" land or what but several fell for it hook line and sinker....all based on fear of missing out on the deal of a lifetime but need deposit right now if you want..truly amazing but farang had a pretty thai wife who was also involved who talked to thai gf and wives and who knows what she told them as all they saw was maybe farang buy and build nice house on river....

Not a lot of happy folks,but surprise surprise he was gone as was their money....i would bet the farmers were trying to understand why the yellow ribbons and all these people looking at it but they prob got a few thousand baht just to let them hang some yellow ribbons on their land to take pictures...those farangs are certainly strange they likely thought.

a fool and his/her money can soon be parted