Credit card deception

When I was in the UK 18 months ago I applied for a Wise physical debit card.  This card was sent to me by normal post (not registered) and Wise activated the card before it was sent!!!  (Doh....).  Anyway, the card never arrived and some 200 quid in delivery food was charged to the card.

I discovered, (when speaking with Wise and the take-out company that (amazingly!!), one can charge delivery food up to 100 quid to a CC without any kind of verification needed.  I was stumped, but Wise confirmed that delivery companies rarely make any security checks and just need a CC number entered online.

Needless to say, Wise refunded my funds and then (yet again!), sent a replacement card by unregistered post to my address. Luckily, I manually froze the card on my Wise dashboard before it arrived, so that it couldn't be used.

The card was stolen yet again before it arrived and attempts made to buy delivery food with it 🙂

After that, I gave up trying to get a Wise physical debit card 🙂

Edited by simon43

15 minutes ago, patman30 said:

when would it be almost impossible?
when would you have no other option but to hand your card to someone?
a lot of times people just do this by habit when there is no need too

A very commonplace is a restaurant.

The waiter takes the CC with the bill to the cashier for payment.

2 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Bullsh!t topic from the usual suspect, same as his recent one about an Aussie bar owner in Hua Hin.

bullsh!t troll topics... common occurance with georgieboy and bob smith.

I doubt they post sober.... and am not talking alcohol.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, simon43 said:

When I was in the UK 18 months ago I applied for a Wise physical debit card.  This card was sent to me by normal post (not registered) and Wise activated the card before it was sent!!!  (Doh....).  Anyway, the card never arrived and some 200 quid in delivery food was charged to the card.

I discovered, (when speaking with Wise and the take-out company that (amazingly!!), one can charge delivery food up to 100 quid to a CC without any kind of verification needed.  I was stumped, but Wise confirmed that delivery companies rarely make any security checks and just need a CC number entered online.

Needless to say, Wise refunded my funds and then (yet again!), sent a replacement card by unregistered post to my address. Luckily, I manually froze the card on my Wise dashboard before it arrived, so that it couldn't be used.

The card was stolen yet again before it arrived and attempts made to buy delivery food with it 🙂

After that, I gave up trying to get a Wise physical debit card 🙂

I got scammed 2 weeks ago, by someone impersonating Wise.

£6,000 spent on my behalf, but within 48 hours wise had sent it back.

My theory is that there are naughty people in the postal service scanning cards, as this happed as my card was in transit.

I recently got Grab on my Thai phone and attached to my Thai bank, and to set it up I somehow followed some instructions from Grab to connect my card to my phone. Now I have a feature on my phone that activates whenever a card is near it. Even holding my phone and wallet in the same hand makes it happen. I'm currently in the UK and no one here had ever seen this before. Anyway, I reckon these scammers are in the postal service and scanning cards in the mail.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Aw gawd...   made the mistake of not looking at who the author of the thread is.

Over-reacting drama queen.

This is a nothing - non event that happens to most / a lot of people on a yearly basis.

He wants Scotland Yard involved - this perfectly highlights how far removed from reality this poster is. 

He's an attention seeking <deleted>.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Recently I came back to my home country of Australia after being locked up in Pattaya for 6 weeks, I won't get into the full story as I'm suffering PTSD over it

But I checked my credit card statement to see 5 transactions for Uber made in Europe totalling $400 US in one night !

I immediately rang the credit card company ( Australian bank) to get a very bad woman on the end who told me she would cancel my card and I must go and fill out a dispute form and send it in.

She was clearly unemotional and I  was angry and she told me to calm down 

I had my CC in front of me so who used it for $400 in the UK for Uber when I was in Thailand?

She told me it's likely someone could of bought my numbers off the dark web or copied my card 

Now I rang the police in Australia who were disinterested and smart arse who asked me if I wanted they send a team of top Australian detectives to London ,when I said yes ! He hung up the phone !

So I rang the UK London metro detectives who were a bit more nicer and they told me to ring the bank in Australia but if I found a nameof any offender  to call them back 

Any idea how they  would use my CC details to buy food  in a uber eats  across the World ?

First I hope you get things sorted. Following on from that this is going to become common place as businesses will only accept card payments. Like most countries the people pushing for a cash free society have no idea of the potential consequences of their actions. Going purely digital is like giving hackers the birthday and Christmas presents every day.

People need to wake to the fact that as good as some security systems currently are they have flaws and the hackers will find them. If you want to see go to the dark web and look for credit cards. It isn't a safe place to go but if you want to see the extent of card fraud just take a quick look.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Photoguy21 said:

First I hope you get things sorted. Following on from that this is going to become common place as businesses will only accept card payments. Like most countries the people pushing for a cash free society have no idea of the potential consequences of their actions. Going purely digital is like giving hackers the birthday and Christmas presents every day.

People need to wake to the fact that as good as some security systems currently are they have flaws and the hackers will find them. If you want to see go to the dark web and look for credit cards. It isn't a safe place to go but if you want to see the extent of card fraud just take a quick look.

I would much rather have hackers get my credit card info then get robbed in the street carrying cash. And the credit card companies make good your loss.

Dude robs me, all they get is practice .

25 minutes ago, 2long said:

My theory is that there are naughty people in the postal service scanning cards, as this happed as my card was in transit.

Cards in transit are activated ?

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've never had fraud on my card using Lazada or AliExpress but i never save credit card details, may help

Yes, maybe.

11 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

It's a BS story, total <deleted> 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

That's the case yes ...but ....but ..some B used my CC to order themselves home delivery food X 5 times in one night in the UK 

Are Scotland yard not interested, they told me to give THEM names of  the potential offenders and file a report 

The Australian police hung up on me 

The bank seemed she was reading a script 

Now has anyone else had this happen to them ? 

How did they get my cc number?

You have repeated this a couple of times now. Everyone is trying to tell you how to deal with it. No one can say absolutely for sure how they got you card info. It can be a various of ways.

You can have walked by someone who had gadgets that can scan your card info.

You have made payment online, and one of the systems you payed at have been hacked.

Your computer can be hacked, and exploits have been sending your card info and passwords to the hacker.

You have made a purchase with the card in a shop or restaurant and your info have been stolen.

That´s just 4 of a 100rd ways to get card info. Now lay it to rest and take the advices you have been given.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bubblegum said:

BS story. Scotland Yard is a name/branch it is NOT in Scotland you nimwitt.

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

This story is not true. Maybe the transactions but not the rest. Thanks for reading this. 

1 hour ago, thainet said:

You have posted some crazy stuff over the past months, but writing that Scotland Yard was Scottish police is probably the craziest, funniest, most outrageous post ever.

Your mental capacity is beyond belief.

OMG!

Seems one need to be a fully qualified psychologist to comprehend and analyse posts here at AN!

Just observe the number of anonymous confused and sad emojis that pop up so often, that are most often irrelevant!

Such is the world we live on, today :sad: 

Edited by ravip
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I would much rather have hackers get my credit card info then get robbed in the street carrying cash. And the credit card companies make good your loss.

Dude robs me, all they get is practice .

I would prefer to have neither

3 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Recently I came back to my home country of Australia after being locked up in Pattaya for 6 weeks, I won't get into the full story as I'm suffering PTSD over it

But I checked my credit card statement to see 5 transactions for Uber made in Europe totalling $400 US in one night !

I immediately rang the credit card company ( Australian bank) to get a very bad woman on the end who told me she would cancel my card and I must go and fill out a dispute form and send it in.

She was clearly unemotional and I  was angry and she told me to calm down 

I had my CC in front of me so who used it for $400 in the UK for Uber when I was in Thailand?

She told me it's likely someone could of bought my numbers off the dark web or copied my card 

Now I rang the police in Australia who were disinterested and smart arse who asked me if I wanted they send a team of top Australian detectives to London ,when I said yes ! He hung up the phone !

So I rang the UK London metro detectives who were a bit more nicer and they told me to ring the bank in Australia but if I found a nameof any offender  to call them back 

Any idea how they  would use my CC details to buy food  in a uber eats  across the World ?

last year, just prior to AIR ASIA being ransomeware hit with threats to publish data if not paid, the owner declined payment.  Within a month my US VISA card tried two charges of 01 cent which my CC security immediately locked out my card and I had to get a new number (due to what was reported as a shortage of something on the cards, I had to wait 2 moths for a new card.  I do not know for sure it was related to the Air Asia bit but sure seems strange to me.  I am grateful though that my bank is constantly contacting me about charges if at odd stores (not that the stores are odd just not my usual stores).

• Thumbs Up 1

I reckon the ladyboy who was hanging out of the back of him snaffled his credit card details whilst he had his eyes screwed tightly shut in the throes of ecstasy.

Just a thought......

• Love It 1

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:
9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So on which number did you directly contact "Scotland Yard"?

999  George dialed 999 and got through to the flying squad .......

He probably wants us all to believe that's what he did.  He could, of course, have the Metropolitan Police Commissioner on speed dial.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Cards in transit are activated ?

Amazingly YES! Wise sent me an activated card by standard post in the UK - and they wonder why it was stolen and used to buy 200 quid of delivery food 🙂

similar experience, sitting at home in bkk, mobile pings, HSBC telling me i've just bought two lots of take away food via deliveroo - in the uk! i call HSBC immediately who were excellent, cancelled the payments (only around 30 GBP) and cancelled and re-issued my card. phew.

my new card would be delivered to my uk address, no problem as i rarely use it, just for items such as flights via expedia or lastminute.com, which begs the question how was my card cloned? HSBC had no answers, it happens.

HSBC investigated - -i heard nothing more. i lost no money.

it shows it's worth having messages sent to you phone when a bank/CC payment is made so you can be on top of it if things go wrong.

23 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

it shows it's worth having messages sent to you phone when a bank/CC payment is made so you can be on top of it if things go wrong.

I have facial recognition to sign into my HSBC account on my mobile , have used it for a while , after reading this post I thought I would check on my balance.

On opening the app it tells me I need to set up facial recognition or log in via my ID number .

Did you experience anything like this before hand ?

On 6/15/2024 at 1:48 PM, ravip said:

A very commonplace is a restaurant.

The waiter takes the CC with the bill to the cashier for payment.

you can walk to the counter where the PDQ is
The PDQ will always be in customers reach in case a pin is required
as i said due to habit
but better still just use cash at such places, much safer.

• Like 1