Why is Milk So Pricey In Thailand?

SteveJames

21 minutes ago, balo said:

Milk is not a part of the Thai diet. Very few locals drink it. So the production costs are higher in Thailand.  Just appreciate you can actually buy it in the stores.  Back in the 1970's that would have been impossible. 

My favorite is the Meiji brand. 

Milk for coffee ....

Meiji brand milk tastes powdery ...   and Dutch mill tastes watered down ...  

I buy NongPho here ... it tastes like cows milk ....   or Chok Chai is the next best brand. 

milk.PNG.4bab174f7c678dd387c55828a2c15ca1.PNG

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

Maybe Thai farmers are getting a realistic price for their milk?  Many UK dairy farmers are quitting the business as they struggle to even break even.  Only the most modern dairy farms where the cows never go outside are making money. That's factory farming and should be banned.

I don't know about Thailand in general but food is actually too cheap in the UK. Why are we prepared to pay £5+ for beer but gripe at the price of milk?  Some supermarkets try to excuse the poor price they pay farmers for milk by claiming that customers demand it. Milk is a 'staple' in the UK and classed as 'price sensitive' - I suspect that UK supermarkets are simply using it to compete with one another.  I've never seen hoardes of customers with placards outside a supermarket demanding lower priced milk.

Even at the low price it is, the supermarkets make money on it whilst those who produce it are lucky to break even.

Interesting article on the subject here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33960879

Its quite nostalgic to see a truck come each morning and pick up a couple of the old style milk churns from the farm opposite me - I haven't seen an 'in use' milk churn in the UK for 50 years.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Have you seen the cows here, anorexic, and the lack of grass doesn't help. i see them eating anywhere there's a scrap of grass by side of roads

there was others on the list too not only this as a daily.

A typical dairy cow’s diet may include:

• 30-35 pounds (14-16 kg) of baled hay (26-30 pounds DM)

8 hours ago, pomchop said:

Go wander around the rural areas of thailand and you will likely see very few cows.  Most milk comes from cows....fewer cows, less milk.....also poor quality and more expensive beef which thais are smart enough to more or less avoid.  Pork and Chicken and Seafood bettter for you and save you a bundle.

I don''t drink milk or eat beef in Thailand.  Never have, probably never will.

No big macs for you then.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, pomchop said:

Go wander around the rural areas of thailand and you will likely see very few cows.  Most milk comes from cows....fewer cows, less milk.....also poor quality and more expensive beef which thais are smart enough to more or less avoid.  Pork and Chicken and Seafood bettter for you and save you a bundle.

I don''t drink milk or eat beef in Thailand.  Never have, probably never will.

Lol. Practically all milk in Thailand derived from powder.

Valid question. Why is powdered milk so expensive.

• Confused 2

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've changed to using Dairy Rich milk powder from NZ.

Works out at around 50bht/2ltr and I can't really tell the difference.

Added bonus, I don't have to keep going to the shops for milk.

220bht for 1KG at YoK, I pour 620gm of water in a jug, and make up to 700gm with milk powder.

Have a source online? Wife bought some powered milk. Decidedly average and more expensive.

YOK?

Edited by BusNo8

15 hours ago, SteveJames said:

95-105 Baht for 2 Litres of Milk on Grab and in TOPS...  thats around £2.20 ... My mate just showed me £1.49 at Tescos in the UK.  I always noticed Milk was not cheap here, I call it "White Gold" in this house...But Why?   Do Dairy Cows go on Strike here?

Maybe, just maybe, it's time to pull the pin and go home to Tesco's cheap milk?