Motorcyclist injured after falling into unmarked construction hole

webfact

image.jpeg

In a neverending saga of Pattaya’s unfinished roadworks posing a threat to road users, a contractor’s negligence led to a motorcycle accident as a rider fell into an unmarked construction hole, injuring herself yesterday, June 30. Repeated incidents have frustrated locals.

At 8.30pm, Pattaya’s Sawang Boriboon Rescue Centre in Chon Buri received a report of a motorcycle accident involving a construction hole on Phatthanakan Road in Nong Prue, Bang Lamung District.

Upon arrival, rescue personnel discovered the injured woman, 28 year old Natthacha, who had already managed to climb out of the hole. Initial first aid was provided before she was transported to Bang Lamung Hospital for further treatment.

The scene revealed a red Yamaha motorcycle partially submerged headfirst into the construction hole. Although metal barriers and plastic barricades bordered the excavation, there were no warning lights to signal the construction site. The area, known for its poor lighting, exacerbated the danger.

Locals have voiced their concerns, noting that this is not an isolated incident. They have repeatedly contacted city officials but no effective measures have been taken to rectify the situation, resulting in frequent accidents at this particular spot.

Natthacha, the injured rider, explained that she was on her way to deliver seafood in Pattaya when the accident occurred. The combination of light rain and the dark road conditions made it difficult to see the construction hole. The absence of warning lights led her to collide with a barricade, causing her motorcycle to lose control and fall into the hole.

Police documented the scene and secured the motorcycle, awaiting Natthacha’s recovery before returning it to her. Pattaya police have pledged to coordinate with relevant agencies to address the hazardous conditions by installing clear construction warning lights and ensuring the safety of road users, reported KhaoSod.

Local frustration continues to mount as residents emphasise the need for prompt and effective action to prevent further accidents. The repeated incidents at this location highlight the urgency for better safety measures and responsive governance.

by Ryan Turner 

Image courtesy of KhaoSod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-07-01

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Locals have voiced their concerns, noting that this is not an isolated incident. They have repeatedly contacted city officials but no effective measures have been taken to rectify the situation, resulting in frequent accidents at this particular spot.

Time to shuffle some of the officials.... see if that has any effect

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand to a T. Hub of Apathy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Some 3 months ago I seen this manhole exposed without any barrier or pedestrian protection. 

Extremely dangerous with over a 5m drop & especially at night if anyone crosses the road ....  

I emailed the company several times, sent pics etc ....  nothing happened for a few weeks then I read where some old guy fell down one and died. 

Next week I see all barriers, thai safety warning signs, red/white tape ... and concrete temp covers on all the exposed manholes. 

image.png.478701c19dc037d005e42cb8385f83bb.png

Sadly, officials in Thailand seems 100% reactionary.

I have also seen similar hole in the pavement - but some genius has put cardboard over it which obviously makes it more dangerous because someone will step on it without being aware of the underlying void.

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Delivery drivers looking at their phones whilst ridind account for a number of these 'falling down a hole' incidents.

Yeah... 'cos the people leaving unmarked / unlit holes in road construction are completely blameless ???

I recall up in Phitsanulok area, highway 12 towards Petchabun the were widening the road some years back. 

The road just 'stopped' with a 1.5m drop...    where they had not yet widened it.

No markings, the road just went from 4 lanes (two each way) to 2 lanes (one in each direction)...   every morning in the local news there were a few cars that had simply driven off the road at night - it kept on happening, yet no 'official' though to put lights up at road works. 

I recall driving (Krabi area) at night about 25 years ago... in the pitch black I was unsure of a slight 'flickering' up ahead, something strange, I slowed right down...    I was able to stop and then noticed CD's hung from a small branch marking road works...    no lighting again...   

For such reason I do not drive outside of cities / towns at night.

For the same reasons (one of) I do not ride my motorcycle at night.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/1/2024 at 6:09 AM, webfact said:

image.jpeg

In a neverending saga of Pattaya’s unfinished roadworks posing a threat to road users, a contractor’s negligence led to a motorcycle accident as a rider fell into an unmarked construction hole, injuring herself yesterday, June 30. Repeated incidents have frustrated locals.

At 8.30pm, Pattaya’s Sawang Boriboon Rescue Centre in Chon Buri received a report of a motorcycle accident involving a construction hole on Phatthanakan Road in Nong Prue, Bang Lamung District.

Upon arrival, rescue personnel discovered the injured woman, 28 year old Natthacha, who had already managed to climb out of the hole. Initial first aid was provided before she was transported to Bang Lamung Hospital for further treatment.

The scene revealed a red Yamaha motorcycle partially submerged headfirst into the construction hole. Although metal barriers and plastic barricades bordered the excavation, there were no warning lights to signal the construction site. The area, known for its poor lighting, exacerbated the danger.

Natthacha, the injured rider, explained that she was on her way to deliver seafood in Pattaya when the accident occurred. The combination of light rain and the dark road conditions made it difficult to see the construction hole. The absence of warning lights led her to collide with a barricade, causing her motorcycle to lose control and fall into the hole.

Police documented the scene and secured the motorcycle, awaiting Natthacha’s recovery before returning it to her. Pattaya police have pledged to coordinate with relevant agencies to address the hazardous conditions by installing clear construction warning lights and ensuring the safety of road users, reported KhaoSod.

Local frustration continues to mount as residents emphasise the need for prompt and effective action to prevent further accidents. The repeated incidents at this location highlight the urgency for better safety measures and responsive governance.

by Ryan Turner 

Image courtesy of KhaoSod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-07-01

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Its same all over Thailand. Maybe something for TAT to show tourists?

Edited by Captor