800 baht for a Residence Certificate at Immigration ??

9 minutes ago, sungod said:

800 is the most I have ever heard of, 300-500 is the norm.

Maybe apologise, cheeky smile and say you only have a purple persuader on you.

The OP made it very uncomfortable for the IOs. He knew what it was, but they were forced to come up with a reply that seemed genuine. Putting the IOs on the spot is a bad idea when you already know the deal.

4 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Indeed!

If the powers that be can't stop the 'inflation', then it is up to us to show them the errors of their ways.

I'm saying that we must show the way. If we do that, the more observant Thais will follow suit.

Absolutely not! 

47 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:
1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

What i would do is what i did many moons ago; get a Yellow House Book.  Not Rocket Science and you will never need another COR for your entire life in Thailand !

Incorrect.

Mostly correct - I've never needed a CoR since I had my Yellow House Book. 

Prevuously to that - I needed a CoR every time I purchased (registered) a new Car or Motorcycle, or needed to renew my Driving Licence.

I'm sure you will reply that 'the Yellow House Book is not accepted by the DLT'...  but this is not the case, its only 'some' DLT's that do not accept a Yellow House Book as Proof of Address - thus, this aspect is purely dependent on ones location.

• Like 1

800 baht for a Residence Certificate at Immigration ??

Your lucky you got one ,

First time I tried years ago Immigration said they Don't Give Cert  of Residence . 

They should but they doin't so  We went and got a Yellow book for a Donation at the  municipality  office .

No more trouble since 

21 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The location is irrelevant, my question was “ what would you have done in my situation ? “

It is relevant. If you'd been charged 800 baht at an office that normally charges 200 baht my reply would have been to speak to a supervisor to find out why. However, if your office always charges that sum, then I'd say that you have no option but to pay up. I was shocked when Jomtien put up the price to 300 baht, it's hard to imagine anywhere charging 800 baht. Talk about kicking the aris out of it.

21 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Yes, I just realised the reason I've never been asked for a new CofR is because I have that little yellow book and pink ID card, the one's that many claim are useless. 😉

I also have the yellow book and pink card and up until May of this year was just fine. Went to the Klaeng DLT in Rayong and this year it was COR or no drivers license, two hour round trip for me, but I am good for six more years, probably be dead by then

21 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You will not renew a TDL with docs you mention these days.

Certainly was possible way back.

They require a COR

Similar chat to opening bank accounts. 

I disagree with your assertions.  I renewed my motorcycle licence on 02 April just gone. The only documents I presented were my old licence, health certificate, Yellow house book and QR code obtained by completing the theory test online.  At no time was I asked for said residency certificate.  I wrote an extensive report about my experience on this forum about it, which is still running. My DLT experience was at Bangkok, Prakanong on Sukhumvit road.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

For me at the DLT Area 3 (in Bangchak, Bangkok / nr Sukhumvit 99/1)...

I renewed at the same office, last April, with yellow house book and pink ID card.  Residency certificate was not asked for.

This too was at Prakanong DLT Area 3 Sukhumvit road Soi 99 ( just 3 meters beyond).

7 minutes ago, FRM-BKK said:

At no time was I asked for said residency certificate

It's depends on your immigration office (that you did not mention) 

Many threads with various requirements. eg post above yours from @flexomike 

In any event the OP did not indicate he even has a yellow book and did not even ask for alternatives to COR.

2 minutes ago, FRM-BKK said:

I renewed at the same office, last April, with yellow house book and pink ID card.  Residency certificate was not asked for.

This too was at Prakanong DLT Area 3 Sukhumvit road Soi 99 ( just 3 meters beyond).

And I tried to assist a guy at Chatuchak for TDL. His yellow book wouldn't cut it.

Told to obtain a COR from CW.

All this is discussed over and over in Motor Forum 

11 minutes ago, Kenosha2015 said:

Do you need to get a COR form from DLT or can you merely download the COR online?

A Certificate of Residence (CoR) is obtained from your local Immigration office (in most cases, after you have filed a 90 day report - though some Immigration offices will issue on if you have not filed a 90 day reports, such as Chiang Mai Immigration if I'm not mistaken).

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

In any event the OP did not indicate he even has a yellow book and did not even ask for alternatives to COR.

The op doesn’t have a yellow book but he does have a COR.

22 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Your address is already on your existing licence, so why another CofR, unless you moved.

Because they ask for it - just another one of those crazy bits of Thai bureaucracy. I can't speak for other offices but Pak Chong wanted a confirmation of address letter when I renewed my licence (no change of address) and as that's now expired, I have no doubt I'll be visiting Korat Immigration again.

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:
5 minutes ago, FRM-BKK said:

And I tried to assist a guy at Chatuchak for TDL. His yellow book wouldn't cut it.

Told to obtain a COR from CW.

All this is discussed over and over in Motor Forum 

Ok... so as pointed out.. Some DLT's accept the Yellow House Book, some want a CoR.

So the statement that a Yellow House Book will not be accepted is incorrect - experiences clearly vary. 

FWIW - DLT at Chatuchak did accept my Yellow House Book as proof of address when registering my Vehicle in my name (I did this myself instead of having the dealer do it)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:
5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The op doesn’t have a yellow book but he does have a COR.

Yes, as you (the Op) pointed out in your OP...

The discussion has since evolved, as is very normal for these threads - the information is also useful for others.

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Ok... so as pointed out.. Some DLT's accept the Yellow House Book, some want a CoR.

So the statement that a Yellow House Book will not be accepted is incorrect - experiences clearly vary. 

FWIW - DLT at Chatuchak did accept my Yellow House Book as proof of address when registering my Vehicle in my name (I did this myself instead of having the dealer do it)

I agree that each DLT office appears to make up their own rules.  I too have heard from various others that Chatuchack DLT does not accept yellow house book and pink ID card.

Mine was at Prakanong DLT Area 3 back in April. 

I need to get a COR soon to renew my 5-year DL in August, I was at Korat Imm this morning to renew my annual retirement ext, and while there I checked with the office about what I need to bring next month when I come for the COR: I was told to bring my PP, my wife's Tabien Baan, her ID and 500 Bt. 

BTW: last time I renewed my Thai DL 5 years ago I was living in Hua Hin then and the fee for the COR was 1000 Bt. 

Edited by grain
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

My immigration office is Chaeng Wattana.

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes, as you (the Op) pointed out in your OP...

The discussion has since evolved, as is very normal for these threads - the information is also useful for others.

I agree, i didn’t know that a yellow book would be accepted by DLT for driving license renewal in some locations. Will look into that if i need another , maybe i will get lucky and not have to go cap in hand to immigration, although hopefully in 6 years time they will have forgotten!.

29 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I agree, i didn’t know that a yellow book would be accepted by DLT for driving license renewal in some locations.

If you had disclosed your province then just maybe you would have received advice ya or nah that a yellow book would be acceptable in future for things such as license renewal, purchase vehicles etc .