British Teacher Assaulted by Phuket Tailor in Front of Her Children

webfact

1 hour ago, Hakuna Matata said:

This is a specific behavior towards women in Phuket as the majority of the local population is Muslim.

No it isn’t.

Thai Muslims make up approximately 35% of Phuket's population, and many are still concentrated in the area around Kamala, Bangtao and Surin where the migrant Malays originally settled.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Thumbs said:

So the Thai mobs demanding justice for a woman being assaulted are reserved for female doctors only… 

And Thai women. It is admirable how the Thais stick up for each other.

It appears the English woman’s husband didn’t even bother showing up, let alone the country getting behind her.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, WDSmart said:
42 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What other way is there to spell "gaoled"?

The way I, and most of the English-speaking world, now spell it is "jailed."

"Jailed" would be the spelling of "Jailed", not an alternative for "Gaoled", just as "Imprisoned" is not an alternative spelling of "Gaoled".   Perhaps you're confusing spellings with meanings?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

The only legal action I've ever personally witnessed: A friend of mine, a club owner, had hired a manager who ripped him off, stealing everything from the club including literally taking the copper pipes out of the walls. My friend took him to court, only to find out the thief's brother-in-law was a local police officer.

My friend was barely able to keep HIMSELF out of jail for the "slander" he recorded in the form of the police report.

No way would I, a foreigner, EVER bring charges against a local.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Jailed" would be the spelling of "Jailed", not an alternative for "Gaoled", just as "Imprisoned" is not an alternative spelling of "Gaoled".   Perhaps you're confusing spellings with meanings?

This is the best site I found which promises to tell the difference between "jail" and "gaol," but I didn't see any difference cited in it. 
Difference Between Jail and Gaol | Difference Between

Please tell me what you think is the difference between those two terms. Thanks...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Why do people move to a country, then demand the same standards they left behind?  Monetary compensation is the local standard.  They aren't going to change centuries of culture for her...

But she can demand the same standards as back home and she has. Hope she wins.

• Agree 2

57 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

No doubt, just a communication problem.

And, she was probably treating the tailor like she treats her students.

I am glad I was never educated in an international school down there.

I do not like the teachers who are here today and gone tomorrow.

If you want to enroll in a school with English language instruction, then try the UK, or the USA.

Nobody slaps someone without reason.

I have never seen it happen.

Glad she is not teaching any students that I know.

You make an initial assumption and then just run with it. Your post contributes absolutely nothing helpful to the discussion, but thanks for your contribution anyway.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

28 minutes ago, WDSmart said:
45 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

This is the best site I found which promises to tell the difference between "jail" and "gaol," but I didn't see any difference cited in it. 
Difference Between Jail and Gaol | Difference Between

Please tell me what you think is the difference between those two terms. Thanks...

I know what the words mean but you're confusing spellings and meanings.  You started this by posting about different spellings;  now you're on about meanings!

Edited by Liverpool Lou

Why would she be discussing a personal matter with a tailor with her students in tow. I'd love to know what she said to him. Doesn't take much to set off a Thai. Of course, if she was so inclined, she could have used this event as a learning experience for her children in terms of self control and waking away from conflict as opposed to leaning in. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You've just looked it up and posted about it, why do you need me to define "gaol"?

I would like to know what your definition of "gaol" is. If you don't want to (or can't) define it, at least let me know if the definitions I found online are compatible with your definition.

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I do not like the teachers who are here today and gone tomorrow.

If you want to enroll in a school with English language instruction, then try the UK, or the USA.

Nobody slaps someone without reason.

I have never seen it happen.

Exactly! every word agree I with.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hakuna Matata said:

This is a specific behavior towards women . Many individuals are very arrogant and self assured, to say the least.

This incident would probably never happen in the North or North East of Thailand. What do you think?

Phuket is a very snobbish place. Many locals have been corrupted by the big money they can easily extract from foreign tourists. What a shame.

I would certainly avoid Phuket by all means.

Sorry for my bad English, this is not my first language.

Nice try, but you are wrong.....the MINORITY of the Phuket population is Muslim:coffee1:

• Haha 1